mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Best carbon handlebar for dampening vibrations

I am looking at a carbon handlebar that will help dampen vibration (I use my fattie all year long) and small shatter.

What are your recommandations? I did try a controltech, but as I find out after I bought it, it was a DH bar, very stiff.

I am looking at a race face next or a Whisky #9 bar.

Anything else I should consider?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I hear great things about Mt Zoom. good price and excellent weight. Lots of people use them on their race bikes.

mtbr member
    When I was looking at a Super Comuter 8+ for my wife to keep up with me, I was shown a bar with elsatimers inside it I think. Names escapes me now but it was 500 dollars and was designed to take away all bad bar feel. He said some customers love them. I will post up the name when I find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Spank Vibrocore bars. Head mechanic at my local shop swears by them, and it's something they don't sell on the floor.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I find my carbon bars are the best when wet, they donít feel as cold.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I purchased a raceface and like it. It is an improvement over the alloy bar, but I haven't compared it to other carbon bars.

mtbr member
    After using a Salsa carbon bar, ec90, ec70 - I put the alloy salsa bar back on my bucksaw a year ago, and don't notice any difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use the Niner RDO 780 carbon bars on all my bikes (Fat rigid, SS rigid and HT with front shock).

Works well dampening vibrations and I also use ESI Extra Chunky grips on all bikes.

mtbr member
    Run rf next bars on both my bikes. Esi chunkys too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

All fat, all the time.
    Been using Easton bars with foam grips for quite a few years now.
    Biggest difference will be a good suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've enjoyed and noticed the difference with a Santa Cruz flat carbon bar on my rigid fatty.
    Certainly less buzz compared to the stock Al bar that came with the bike.
    I think you'll notice the difference with more or less any reputable carbon bar that's not overbuilt for severe downhill duty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Not Thomson. I've used their riser and flat bars and they're stiffer than a very stiff thing. Great for control and stability but harsh even over short distances.

Otherwise any half-decent carbon bar will feel good. Nukeproof, Renthal, Burgtec all feel stiff and non-twangy but somehow remove trail buzz

mtbr member
    I had to double check that this was the fat bike thread. Buzz in bars on a fat bike? How high to you pump your tires? To eliminate buzz, dial back pressure a bit. If that does not work, change grips. Carbon is great for reducing cold transfer. I run Answer 20/20 carbon bars and like the sweep. Do I feel buzz? No, but I did not with an alloy Salsa bar or Soma Clarence bars either. Why do I have carbon bars? When I got the carbon bike, I wanted to keep the theme, no other reason or necessity.

Save the $100+ on a carbon bar and apply it to a suspension fork if you really want to deal with chatter on the trail. I am not sure you will find a bar that will do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oh, I thought he was talking about damp wet bars.

Yeah, I don't think it's really applicable. The buzz you get on a road bike from the road that might be damped by a carbon bar/seatpost is not applicable to mountain bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

All fat, all the time.
    Sometimes I wrap wet towels around to dampen my bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Next 35mm bar on my ss mt bike. Will be putting one on my new fat that I am about to build. Great bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I had to double check that this was the fat bike thread. Buzz in bars on a fat bike? How high to you pump your tires? To eliminate buzz, dial back pressure a bit. If that does not work, change grips.

Save the $100+ on a carbon bar and apply it to a suspension fork if you really want to deal with chatter on the trail. I am not sure you will find a bar that will do it.
    Never had a fatbike but I would think those fat tires with low pressure would dampen vibration at bars 10X more than carbon vs alu bars. I noticed a huge difference in bar vibration when going tubeless with lower pressures years ago on traditional 26 X 2.4" tires.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    The Niner RDO 31.9mm on my single speed bike is superior at dampening compared to the Race Face Next SL 35mm on my fat bike. But the fat tires and snow basically mute all vibrations anyway.

I find that 35mm bars are better suited for DH and/or suspension.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Spank Vibrocore bars. Head mechanic at my local shop swears by them, and it's something they don't sell on the floor.
    I put one on my fat bike and if Im honest I cant say i can tell a difference.
    No moss...

Human Test Subject
    I haven't tried them but I've heard that SQLabs bars are designed to do exactly this. Thick grips like ESI extra chunky or Wolf Tooth fatpaw grips will also help.

Don't listen to anyone who makes stupid jokes about using water to dampen your bars. It evaporates too fast. You need olive oil.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    The Niner RDO 31.9mm on my single speed bike is superior at dampening compared to the Race Face Next SL 35mm on my fat bike. But the fat tires and snow basically mute all vibrations anyway.

I find that 35mm bars are better suited for DH and/or suspension.
    There's a fairly large crowd that feels that way about 35mm bars pretty much everywhere, a bit too stiff. That's one reason that 31.8 hasn't gone anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I haven't tried them but I've heard that SQLabs bars are designed to do exactly this. Thick grips like ESI extra chunky or Wolf Tooth fatpaw grips will also help.

Don't listen to anyone who makes stupid jokes about using water to dampen your bars. It evaporates too fast. You need olive oil.
    Not sure I understand the water and olive oil thing. Was the use of the word dampen a poor choice? English is not my primary language, help me out 😁. Anyway I am glad people are awnsering with humour!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iíve got a set of Easton carbon bars one of my bikes and cheap Chinease carbon bars from Amazon on two other bikes and I canít tell the difference. I put them on cause I needed riser bars and that they were lighter weight. I figure they also likely donít get as cold as aluminum bars but I canít say Iíve noticed that either. I donít know that Iíve noticed any difference in feel or vibration reduction either.

i like wearing padded gloves as they are more comfortable. You might try a set of those first as the difference will be far more noticeable between padded and non padded gloves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Not sure I understand the water and olive oil thing. Was the use of the word dampen a poor choice? English is not my primary language, help me out 😁. Anyway I am glad people are awnsering with humour!
    Dampen was the proper word. It just happens to have a couple meanings and several took the opportunity to make a joke.

Human Test Subject
    It's not your fault that English is an awful language. FFS "Will Will Smith smith Will Smith?" is a legit sentence.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you look it up, dampening and damping are both correct, but most people use damping to refer to what shock absorbers do and dampening to imply wetness. We were giving you a hard time, like when people say they are going to install a pair of forks on their bike. English is screwed up because it doesn't even follow it's own rules.

Best carbon handlebar for dampening vibrations-forksfox40s.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If you look it up, dampening and damping are both correct, but most people use damping to refer to what shock absorbers do and dampening to imply wetness. We were giving you a hard time, like when people say they are going to install a pair of forks on their bike. English is screwed up because it doesn't even follow it's own rules.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForksFox40s.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	1230070
    Well, one is a noun and the other is verb so technically, they cannot be used interchangeably.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Unless you're riding gravel, you'll probably get better damping from a good set of grips & gel-pad gloves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Well, one is a noun and the other is verb so technically, they cannot be used interchangeably.

Damp is also a verb, check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Damp is also a verb, check it out.
    Any verb can be a noun, and some nouns can be verbs. However, the sentence structure will not be able to stay the same to support it. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There's a moist joke somewhere here

Elitest thrill junkie
    Any verb can be a noun, and some nouns can be verbs. However, the sentence structure will not be able to stay the same to support it. Check it out.

That's not what you said above. So which of your statements are you saying is correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's not what you said above. So which of your statements are you saying is correct?
    You do know what interchangeably means yes? Outlook is doubtful so far...

mtbr member
    You do know what interchangeably means yes? Outlook is doubtful so far...

Outlook the email service? Are you searching your inbox?

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Outlook the email service? Are you searching your inbox?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing...

mtbr member
    If you want to know how to fix vibration in a handlebar, it's something we fixed on old British motorbikes.

Some of the old parallel twins vibrated excessively as the power outputs rose, not helped by bolted together crankshafts.

The simple cure was a small piece of lead at each end of the handlebar. Not much was needed - its job was to change the resonant frequency of the bar. Just jam a small piece of lead in place with a cork and it will stay in place. Experiment to find the minimum amount of lead needed.

The real answer is to find what is causing the vibrations and attack that. On a fatbike, I'd start by reducing tyre pressures.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

#pedalmasher
    Jul 2017
    Personally I've found 60xx aluminum to be the softest feeling bars on myself. The carbon bars I have or tried feel much harsher (raceface). Of course the wider the bar the more flex it will have with the added leverage.

Take a look at these bars : https://fasstmtb.com
    I use their powersports model on my dirt bike, they work.

Also a 360į elastomer mtb stem is coming out the first of the year, based off his Moto design patent... https://xcgear.com
    His Instagram has prototype pictures

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    LOL, tuckerjt07 - little 8 ball in there
    I use Answer pro taper bars with Oury grips, a great combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SARASR View Post
    LOL, tuckerjt07 - little 8 ball in there
    I use Answer pro taper bars with Oury grips, a great combo.
    Glad someone got it, I thought it was painfully obvious.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbird4 View Post
    Personally I've found 60xx aluminum to be the softest feeling bars on myself. The carbon bars I have or tried feel much harsher (raceface). Of course the wider the bar the more flex it will have with the added leverage.

Take a look at these bars : https://fasstmtb.com
    I use their powersports model on my dirt bike, they work.

Also a 360į elastomer mtb stem is coming out the first of the year, based off his Moto design patent... https://xcgear.com
    His Instagram has prototype pictures

Just saw these bars for the first time. They seem like a good idea. Haven't ridden them yet -- look forward to trying them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I had an accident about three years ago that did a lot of damage to my neck. I really feel stuff now. Meaning, this is something I've spent a fair amount on money exploring. I've run Race Face, Whisky, Syntace, and Enve. So far, Enve is the best with Syntace a close second.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by lxlayton View Post
    I had an accident about three years ago that did a lot of damage to my neck. I really feel stuff now. Meaning, this is something I've spent a fair amount on money exploring. I've run Race Face, Whisky, Syntace, and Enve. So far, Enve is the best with Syntace a close second.
    10+ years ago there was a company called LP Composites that made carbon bars and posts. Pretty dramatic difference in compliance from their bars to everything else.

Doubt they're out there anymore, and if you find 'em they're 25.4 only. But man were they comfy.

#pedalmasher
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Just saw these bars for the first time. They seem like a good idea. Haven't ridden them yet -- look forward to trying them.
    I will be purchasing a set from Fasst also for my mtb. I'm going to try to stick with my rigid fork all year on the fatbike; might make for a good combination.

Xcgear's stem (hammerhead?) also looks like it will be a good product when he releases it for mtb. A chunk of billet for sure but the option to mate about any bar with it would be a plus. His mako360(moto) bar mounts are a really nice product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I won't have any cf on my bike. cf will slice you up nasty if it breaks in a crash...i'll stick to aluminum.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    I won't have any cf on my bike. cf will slice you up nasty if it breaks in a crash...i'll stick to aluminum.
    Thank god that shards of metal won't slice you up.

mtbr member
    Thank god that shards of metal won't slice you up.
    Steel pretty much doesnít fail or shard if it does.

Aluminum is another matter however...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Steel pretty much doesnít fail or shard if it does.

Aluminum is another matter however...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Old myths.

Both metals will pull apart as in "tear" during a massive overload failure. This is a very rare mode of failure for a bike or component. This is noticeable with tension and compression signatures and simply looks like it either folded or was "torn".

Both metals will form sharp edges during under-stress failures where a flaw, locally weak design, stress riser, corrosion pit or similar creates a crack and propagates with each subsequent cycle. This is why steel pedal axles break and often form sharp hard edges when they do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    LOL, you are both wrong and right at the same time!

Your fireplace has a damper. It decreases the amplitude of the fire/air out the chimney. If a fireplace had a dampener it would spray water on the fire, resulting in the same outcome.

The word dampener has been misused more often than the correct word for deaden/restrain, so that you find incorrect (or modern) references to it in online dictionaries. You would need an old printed dictionary to find its older(correct) origin. YMMV

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post

The word dampener has been misused more often than the correct word for deaden/restrain, so that you find incorrect (or modern) references to it in online dictionaries. You would need an old printed dictionary to find its older(correct) origin. YMMV
    Words and definitions do change over time, if current dictionaries are saying both are correct, then both are correct. Ultimately, language is used to describe things, so as long as we are understanding the common definition, we are communicating and we are right, which is why the modern dictionaries reflect this.

At least it's not as bad as pluralizing things! When someone goes left at the pair of forks in the road or asks for a pair of forks at the dinner table, I'll maintain we only have one fork on our bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    At least it's not as bad as pluralizing things! When someone goes left at the pair of forks in the road or asks for a pair of forks at the dinner table, I'll maintain we only have one fork on our bike
    Easy enough. Can you pass me a pair of forks please, salad and dessert? Thank you

Elitest thrill junkie
    Easy enough. Can you pass me a pair of forks please, salad and dessert? Thank you

Ahh, but you were expecting to get two, when have you asked for or referenced a "set of forks" and only gotten one? Therein lies the difference. No one asks for a "forks" at the dinner table or a "pair of forks" to refer to one fork, except for some reason in MTB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ahh, but you were expecting to get two, when have you asked for or referenced a "set of forks" and only gotten one? Therein lies the difference. No one asks for a "forks" at the dinner table or a "pair of forks" to refer to one fork, except for some reason in MTB.
    Not what you said, now you're just moving the goalposts.

Just poking fun and taking advantage of the loophole you left. I would love to know where the second fork is going to go though?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post
    LOL, you are both wrong and right at the same time!

Your fireplace has a damper. It decreases the amplitude of the fire/air out the chimney. If a fireplace had a dampener it would spray water on the fire, resulting in the same outcome.
    Speaking of wrong. Amplitude has to do with the maximum amount of oscillation of something. Does this really apply to air in a fireplace chimney?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Everything is a wave.

When you come to the fork in the road ... take it.

If you do (or say) something wrong long enough or often enough it eventually becomes right!