Best "Available" 5" Sand Tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best "Available" 5" Sand Tire

Looking for advice/opinions . . .

I have two separate road trips planned within the next 6 weeks that are beach/dune rides. I recently got a bike that will take 5" tires and I want to utilize this capability to maximize float. I've bought a Big Fat Larry for the front, but I'm am undecided on what to run in back.

A buddy who rode the same area last year on a Bud and Lou said the rolling resistance was ridiculous, so I am ruling out those two tires, in favor of something with lower profile tread features.

The two tires I am most interested in are the non-studed Dillinger 5, and the Kenda Juggernaut. Unfortunately, neither of these are available yet, and I need to get something on order within the next few days.

That leaves the Vee offerings - specifically the Snowshoe XL and the Bulldozer.

Any feedback or opinions on either of these would be much appreciated.

Any other 5" tires that might work well that I am missing?

aka bOb
    Whey not another BFL in the back? In the very distant future I see the new 4.8 Schwalbe being a kick @ss sand tire

mtbr member

I use BFL's front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

This place needs an enema
    BFL's f/r for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Whey not another BFL in the back? In the very distant future I see the new 4.8 Schwalbe being a kick @ss sand tire
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I use BFL's front and rear.
    Thanks, guys. I was just having an email discussion with ward, and he's of the same opinion. I guess I was thinking that for the dunes (which I have never ridden), I'd be needing more traction for the climbs, but his point is that the traction you give up with the BFL is more than offset by the rolling efficiency.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    BFL's f/r for sure.
    Thanks, Mike. That makes it unanimous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agree, BFL's are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best "Available" 5" Sand Tire-_1000884-edit.jpg  

Rocking on a Rocky
    Bulldozers.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

turtles make me hot
    Another for Big Fat Larry front and rear.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here you go Spovegas. Since my oldie but goody won't fit 5", next best thing is trimmed 4". I'll be joining Spovegas on both of these outings... looking forward to some miles of beach and some "big sand"!

My trimmed Endo's
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10012633173/player/b7f9ced337" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10012549215/player/14d2cda2a8" height="500" width="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

and trimmed Larry's... can't wait to do this w/ a BFL...
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10012520574/player/cd95f233e2" height="500" width="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

and they're "signature"... Ft. is on the left and Rr. is on the right...
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13965416456/player/a21996e81a" height="500" width="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't have a pic of Bud & Lou's sand signature but trust me, it looks like a roto tiller went through... costing the rider "miles" worth of energy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I should mention though, on a short evening "play ride", trials riding around on the foredune close to where we were staying, the guy mentioned above with the Bud & Lou kicked my but as far as gripping the steep side of the foredune while side hilling. But on the all day ride they put him literally miles behind by the end of the day... so there is a trade off.

mtbr member

Hey ward what is your rear rack setup? Looks very effective.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, ward.

banned
    Sep 2008
    sweet pic, bob

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Hey ward what is your rear rack setup? Looks very effective.
    It's an Axiom Odysee that I modified with ALU rod.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8424652148/player/f7157f676d" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I built it specifically to fit these old Overland Equipment "Mini Bags"
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13985169632/player/0b153c7ed1" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Ward, what technique do you use to trim your treads?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Yaaaay! Ward is still alive!!! Heís one of those dudes who is too busy riding his fatbike instead of posting on teh intarwebs, most likely.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yaaaay! Ward is still alive!!! Heís one of those dudes who is too busy riding his fatbike instead of posting on teh intarwebs, most likely.
    Word.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Knard 4.8 will probably be a decent sand tire that would also not kill you if you ride it on pavement, hardpack, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Knard 4.8 will probably be a decent sand tire that would also not kill you if you ride it on pavement, hardpack, etc.
    Agreed. Heartily. Wish it were available now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    sweet pic, bob

rog
    THANKS! Here's a link for more I've done.
    Pugsley at the Beach and in the Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickngas View Post
    Ward, what technique do you use to trim your treads?
    So far I've just used whatever razor knife's would give me a good angle. Regular "box knife" worked fine in the Larry's but not so well on the Endo's. On those I made my own "handle" w/ Gorilla Tape (dangerous!). Also, I changed blades several times as they dull quickly and cutting gets sloppy (and more dangerous). There are some cool tread trimming devices that motor sports folks use... I just haven't sprung for one yet. They're basically hot knifes and probably a better, safer way to do it.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10012562675/player/a29f1d318c" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10012560565/player/130f035eaa" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    THANKS! Here's a link for more I've done.
    Pugsley at the Beach and in the Park
    Sweet! Where were those beach pic's taken?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Cheers LP! My computer is toast so only accessing at work when I get a chance. Saving for a new fatty so new "box" will have to wait. Come North and ride with us one of these days!! Or maybe we'll come South & meet you...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Sweet! Where were those beach pic's taken?
    Cape Cod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Cape Cod
    Here's another Cape Cod pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best &quot;Available&quot; 5&quot; Sand Tire-image.jpg  

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Thanks for the good advice, all. I got to try the 2X BFL setup last weekend at the Northwest Fatbike Meet at Ocean Shores. The last time I was there was two years ago and it hadn't rained for weeks, and the sand was super dry and super soft. This year was the exact opposite - it had been POURING right up until the day of the event. I hit the beach with about 3 psi in both tires (which is what I needed 2 years ago) and the drag was incredible. The sand was super firm and I stopped and pumped up to 7R/6F and that was much better. That night I decided to trim the center row of lugs.

Best &quot;Available&quot; 5&quot; Sand Tire-20140926_os_04.jpg

I didn't have the guts to trim the adjacent rows yet. My next outing is the OR Dunes in 2 weeks and it will be much hillier and I don't want to compromise my climbing/sidehill traction too much without getting there and seeing what I need (have never ridden these types of dunes before).

But just removing the center tread alone made a big difference, and the bike rolled really well. Ward described the tall row of lugs as having a type of "knife-blade" effect, wherein they initiate the displacement/movement of the sand and compromise the float. Made sense enough to me.

Best &quot;Available&quot; 5&quot; Sand Tire-20140927_os_31.jpg

As side note, holy he11, is rubber ever tough on knife blades. Since getting back home, I've touched up the trim job, trying different knife blades, razor blades, etc. What works best for me at this point is the style of blade shown in the picture above, but I have to sit there with a sharpener at hand and sharpen the blade literally after about every two cuts. If I was gonna do a lot of this, I'd definitely invest in a hot knife.

Sure getting excited about the dunes trip and playing with these tires some more.

mtbr member

I need to find a cheap hub and wheel combo for beach runs. I guess my stock hubs would be good for that and then get a hope or another high end rear hub for trail riding. Since I am tubeless I don't want to pull nates everytime I am gonna be on the beach only. I want to get a bfl for the front of my muk and use the endo's I have for rears.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    This is an old thread, but are there any new ~4.7" tires that would work for dryish sand that aren't ~$130?

Just wondering about some of the tires that are now appearing on E-bikes.

I know people were using the Endo which is no longer made.

I also know people are using the BFL, but that is also $130US MSRP.

Since I need to buy 4, and sand isn't the primary use of our fat bikes I'm just wondering what other options there are.

Thanks for any suggestions to check out.

mtbr member
    Chaoyang 4.9, but you have to order them from Italy. Very high volume tires.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I saw those, just was hoping to find someone in North America that had them for sale.