Best 27.5+ Tire for Riding Packed snow/Ice under 3.5"??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Best 27.5+ Tire for Riding Packed snow/Ice under 3.5"??

So I have a Hard tail that has pretty wide tire clearance. Measuring the rear of the bike it sits at just over 3.5". The fork I have fit a 3.8" maxis minion in so Im not worried about the front. I have been riding my fat bike all winter long, but am getting rid of it and want to run 27.5+ tires for the rest of the winter. I can't decide between the following tires. 45nrth makes a 2.8" studded wraitchild but thats pretty narrow for riding in snow, I'm thinking also there is the new 2.8" cake eater that is narrowish as well(dont get why they didn't make it 3.25" that would be perfect 2.8 is to narrow), but would that be the same size as the wraith? Other options are to forget the studs and get a bonty 3.8" (they measure 3.5 i hear) and hope it fits in the rear? Or I could just get the largest 3" tire they make?? I know of my trails most of the time they are well packed and that a 3" tire would not be ideal, but would work most of the time. I really would love it if i could get a fat tire to fit in there like the HODAG since they measure small. Anyone have experience riding an entire winter on a plus tire? is it feasible?? thanks -

mtbr member
    I am not aware of any 3" stud ready plus tires. You might be forced to buy some standard 3" or 3.25 tires and grip stud them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Ya I have considered that as an option, just thinking if I can go full 3.8" fat or if I should try a larger 3" tire like the chronicle or a dirt wizard?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I am not aware of any 3" stud ready plus tires. You might be forced to buy some standard 3" or 3.25 tires and grip stud them.

mtbr member
    I have the 2.8 Cake Eaters on my hard tail... They are very light weight with thin sidewalls. Pretty narrow especially now that I have a true fat bike. A nice tire for snow pack and ice, I have a lot of winter miles on them and they work best on snow covered plowed dirt roads and high traffic trails. Iím about 76kg and find that they wonít float on pretty much any condition snow. The studs are excellent on ice. A good compromise tire for commenting around here when conditions require studs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowby2wheels View Post
    I have the 2.8 Cake Eaters on my hard tail... They are very light weight with thin sidewalls. Pretty narrow especially now that I have a true fat bike. A nice tire for snow pack and ice, I have a lot of winter miles on them and they work best on snow covered plowed dirt roads and high traffic trails. Iím about 76kg and find that they wonít float on pretty much any condition snow. The studs are excellent on ice. A good compromise tire for commenting around here when conditions require studs.
    Great review, thanks! Can I ask - was there are "bedding in" protocol for these tires? I could not see any mention of it on their website.

mtbr member
    Few k on a hard surface to bed any studs but I've never done it with 45nrth or bontrager tires and never lost a single stud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Suomi Tyres Fat Freddie 27.5x3. They are very big for 3.0 size and heavy but you cannot get any better tire for hard packed snow. They studded so they work also in icy conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Miami is there anywhere in the U.S. to buy those fat freddie tires? those look like they would probably be the best option out of any tire i have found, but I couldn't find anyone that had them in amerce from a google search, thanks for the recommend, I would have never found those without knowing what they were first
    Quote Originally Posted by miamia View Post
    Suomi Tyres Fat Freddie 27.5x3. They are very big for 3.0 size and heavy but you cannot get any better tire for hard packed snow. They studded so they work also in icy conditions.

mtbr member
    Not sure what you have for rims. I've run multiple 4.0 tyres on 47mm rims, and they tend to come in at about 3.35" or so. Lots of tread wrap and work great. Would give more float at lower pressure than any plus tyre.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think you need to decide if studs or volume are more important. If studs, then you know your options already. If volume, you could try a Hodag or Cake Eater 3.8, and it may work depending on your rim width. If those are too big there's the 3.25 Duro Crux or Vee Trax Fatty, the Duro being a much better tire IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have 40mm rims so it would be close, but i think the hodags just might work barely on those rims. what do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Not sure what you have for rims. I've run multiple 4.0 tyres on 47mm rims, and they tend to come in at about 3.35" or so. Lots of tread wrap and work great. Would give more float at lower pressure than any plus tyre.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I think I may just try those studs that work on any tire, Ive been using tires made for studs on my fatbike so it will be hard to go non stud specific tires but i think the float is more important than the studs on my local trails, would be nice to have both though
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I think you need to decide if studs or volume are more important. If studs, then you know your options already. If volume, you could try a Hodag or Cake Eater 3.8, and it may work depending on your rim width. If those are too big there's the 3.25 Duro Crux or Vee Trax Fatty, the Duro being a much better tire IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am in Finland so it is very easy to buy them here. Google found this place which seems to have them in stock, is it US? https://www.philbricks.com/nokian-fa...re-275x30.html