mtbr member

Been and gone and got fat!

I've been 'fat curious' for a long while but with a small business ans 2 teenagers I never had the disposable to go for it.
    Last week I had saved and scrimped sufficient money to buy a modified Kona Unit fat bike. I ok it out around the Peak in the snow and ice For a shakedown ride. we manages 8.5 miles and 1200ft of ascent at a pitifully slow pace but I have not laughed and grinned as much in ages!
    So, a question for the experts please :
    1. Currently running 8Psi what's the optimum for rideabiliy?

Cheers, P
    Roger is a verb not a noun.
    Kona Unit 'Special' Fat Bike SS
    Corratec Team Bow SS
    On-one inbred 29er SS project
    My job

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I asked the same question in my local riding forum. I was asking about snow riding, and got the 8psi was way too high for optimal traction. One suggested that I air down until the rim was half the distance from the floor and it was crazy low. Then add small amounts of air and test ride to find the right feel. Another suggested the sit test, where you sit on the tire and air down until the side wall starts to wrinkle.

Keep in mind, this is because I do not have a good low pressure gauge yet. I did the sit test and it seems to make a huge difference from the 8psi I started with.

The White Jeff W
    Can you post pictures of this bike? Im curious to see what mods were done to make a Unit a fatbike.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Something to keep in mind, the psi in a warm garage or house will be higher than the psi in the tire once it drops in temperature when you go out for the ride. I don't own a gauge that accurately goes below about 10psi, so I pump the tires up to around 7-8psi, then go out for a ride. The softer the snow, the more air I let out. If I get to a section of packed snow, I'll sometimes pull out a small air pump I carry in my Camelbak and pump the pressure up a little. You really can't say "6psi is a good riding pressure" for example, because the optimum pressure will vary quite a bit depending on what surface you're riding on. I was out for a ride yesterday and I bet I pumped the tire up a little or aired it down a little at least 4 or 5 times on the ride. It is a good excuse for a short break.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Live Free & Ride
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    Something to keep in mind, the psi in a warm garage or house will be higher than the psi in the tire once it drops in temperature when you go out for the ride. I don't own a gauge that accurately goes below about 10psi, so I pump the tires up to around 7-8psi, then go out for a ride. The softer the snow, the more air I let out. If I get to a section of packed snow, I'll sometimes pull out a small air pump I carry in my Camelbak and pump the pressure up a little. You really can't say "6psi is a good riding pressure" for example, because the optimum pressure will vary quite a bit depending on what surface you're riding on. I was out for a ride yesterday and I bet I pumped the tire up a little or aired it down a little at least 4 or 5 times on the ride. It is a good excuse for a short break.
    Sorry, a bit off topic here...^^^ This has actually been shown in a legit study also known as Deflate Gate!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sp...-all.html?_r=1
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerthecat View Post
    I've been 'fat curious' for a long while but with a small business ans 2 teenagers I never had the disposable to go for it.
    Last week I had saved and scrimped sufficient money to buy a modified Kona Unit fat bike. I ok it out around the Peak in the snow and ice For a shakedown ride. we manages 8.5 miles and 1200ft of ascent at a pitifully slow pace but I have not laughed and grinned as much in ages!
    So, a question for the experts please :
    1. Currently running 8Psi what's the optimum for rideabiliy?

Cheers, P
    Going to depend on your weight mostly. I'm at 140+ and run anywhere from 3 tof 4 1/2 psi. Heavier guys are saying 8 psi. Just saw a video by Espen where he was at 2 psi in deep snow. Bring a pump and a gauge till you figure it out. Hand warmers help when you're out in the snow fiddling around with the pressure. Once they get cold, sometimes hard to warm them up.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member

Pics

Been and gone and got fat!-image.jpg
    Been and gone and got fat!-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Been and gone and got fat!-image.jpg  

Roger is a verb not a noun.
    Kona Unit 'Special' Fat Bike SS
    Corratec Team Bow SS
    On-one inbred 29er SS project
    My job

fading away
    Holy crap thatís a lot of BB cup spacers!
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Holy crap thatís a lot of BB cup spacers!
    I wonder if there is enough thread engagement!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I wonder if there is enough thread engagement!
    I could ruin that for sure.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 0