Beargrease XX1 Spec- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Beargrease XX1 Spec

So, I'm going to own the new Beargrease. Going back & forth on whether or not to spring for the blingy XX1 build over the X9 spec. Besides the 2k difference in cost (that is another issue) the Sram XX 1 brakes don't have the greatest of reputation. I'm wondering if the newer XX1 brakes have been improved when compared to earlier models. Anyone have any experience and/or thoughts on this?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm going to be the conscience here and play the question...

Will the XX1 make you win any sponsored races or make any personal monetary gains?

If not, its for ego - can your responsible side reconcile the decision when not gleefully flying through the snow?

This coming from a guy with a full carbon 29er, because it was shiny.... and fast, very very fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Winters are hard on drivetrain components. XX1 components aren't cheap.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    no bling factor, but there's nothing wrong performance-wise with the x9 drivetrain. quite durable, too. four seasons of Alaska winter, trail, mud, and beach riding and still going strong.

nothing to add re x9 v xx1 brakes. i run bb7s and love those, too, for winter reliability and simplicity.
    Veni vidi velo!

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Winters are hard on drivetrain components. XX1 components aren't cheap.
    This is significant....XX1 cassettes are $400 - webtail. I go through between 3-4 cassettes every year, depending how much beach riding that makes up, what is at tops - 50 miles a week, probably closer to an average of 35 miles a week. That's $1200 - 1600 a year, just in cassettes.

Too rich for me - X9 works great
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    I go through between 3-4 cassettes every year,
    Really?

Not arguing, just in disbelief. I can usually milk a cassette/chain/rings for 2+ seasons, depending.

XX1 on two bikes right now. Not enough miles/hours to know how they're gonna hold up just yet, but I share your concern.

mtbr member
    I guess depending on your conditions, if I had that kind of dough to spend on a drivetrain, I'd maybe be looking at a fancy IGH setup?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

=========
    It's the wet sandy beach riding that seems to eat drive trains. This is a story about the first 8 months that I rode my moonlander that lists everything that wore out and was replaced. - 8 Months of Beach Riding ~ the Moonlander and the Damage Done | FAT-BIKE.COM

I can't remember a 9 or 10 speed cassette or chain that has made it through a whole off-road season for me, without one or two of the sprockets getting damaged. It's not like every gear goes bad - just the ones I would use the most. My crosscheck is a different story. I think I'm on my second season with that drive train that see's lots of gravel and pavement rides. But as always, YMMV.

I wonder if the consumers interested in purchasing a beargrease carbon will shy away from abusive environments and save them specifically for racing or less abrasive conditions.

Sorry for the Hijack - and the link to my web-rag....just say'n I kept records for awhile is all.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

impalapower
    Save the $2k and put it towards another fatbike, one for summer and one for winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by impalapower View Post
    Save the $2k and put it towards another fatbike, one for summer and one for winter.
    This man is a genius!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In addition to the XX1 drivetrain the higher version Beargrease comes with carbon bar and seat post, and different wheels. That being said.. I have a X9 version ordered to replace my 2013 Beargrease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    In addition to the XX1 drivetrain the higher version Beargrease comes with carbon bar and seat post, and different wheels. That being said.. I have a X9 version ordered to replace my 2013 Beargrease.
    Different wheels? I thought the wheels & tires were the same on both builds? Also, the XX1 build has the carbon Sram XX1 crankset.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    Different wheels? I thought the wheels & tires were the same on both builds? Also, the XX1 build has the carbon Sram XX1 crankset.
    OK different COLOR wheels and hubs. Not sure on specs. One can oly assume they are better...