Beargrease w/ Bluto 29+ clearance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Beargrease w/ Bluto 29+ clearance?

Getting a summer wheelset and cant decide between 27.5+ and 29+. From the pictures, it looks real tight but fits. Salsa even says up to 29x3 but how close is that in reality? I once

Once went over the bars when a front wheel wedged a rock into my RS Reba crown, so a little paranoid of squeezing in a tire with 2-5mm clearance. Any thoughts or setup comments?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I ran 29+ with a Bluto at one time and don't recall any issues. Clearance on my Wren is fairly tight as well (Wren actually recommends adding a 10mm travel reducer for more crown clearance, which I didn't do), and haven't noticed any issues including some hard bottoms. However my Minion doesn't seem to really grab rocks either so YMMV.

However, if possible I'd suggest 29+ over 27+. The rollover is unbelievable. Similar to fat tires, but way faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Frame fits 29+, Bluto fork is tight, depends on tire choice, I rode mine with a Dirt Wizard it wasn't good for mud or rock clearance. Lauf fork fits 29+ and 26 x 5, as does Mastodon.

27+ would be more agile, but you'd be hitting your pedals a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah keeping my BB height the same is a big priority. I ride 4" JJ. Maybe a Trax Fatty 3.25 b+ could keep the same OD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    27+ would be more agile, but you'd be hitting your pedals a lot.
    If he ran 27.5"x3, I don't see how he'd be pedal striking any more than normal. Aren't effective diameters roughly the same 27.5x3 and 26x4?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    If he ran 27.5"x3, I don't see how he'd be pedal striking any more than normal. Aren't effective diameters roughly the same 27.5x3 and 26x4?
    I have 27.5 x 3 tires (Specialized Purgs and Schwalbe Nobby Nics) they measure 28.5" tall, Jumbo Jims 26 x 4 on 65mm rims measure 29" tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ wut he said.

Low is a relative term, my fs bike (Hendtix) is low and I pedal strike constantly, but it rides great downhill.

There will always be a compromise when you use different wheel sizes than a bike is designed for.

The Beargrease with 29+ is fast and flowy, but it's not agile. If I was looking to put down miles, bushwack, bikepack, I'd go 29+. If I wanted a trial bike for techy stuff, something playful, I'd go 27+.

Another advantage of going 27+ is you can run "fat minus" like the Minion 3.8, also future sizes in 27.5 like 3.25-3.5

Since the Beargrease is already a bit long in the tail, 27+/27 fat minus would be my choice; that's how I run my Wozo.

With 27+, also consider running a 120mm fork, which would slack the steepish head angle and help compensate for the low bb

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah I like flowy trails but most here in CO that I have access to are not. I really just want aomething that rolls faster than 4" JJs which is why i started this search. This is my only MTB, so I want to make it count. I think the 27.5+ should meet my needs even if I sacrifice a 1/2 in in BB. Im open to suggestions on alternate 4" tires too like maybe 120tpi HuDu but not sure anything 4" is goong to make a difference compared to the JJs

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    A 27.5+ on a bucksaw will probably be a higher bottom bracket than many bikes out there. On the other hand I have 65mm LB rims with a wheel set that weigh 1600 grams. JJs on these wheels roll as fast as my 27.5 x 3 wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JillRide45; 04-30-2017 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Yeah I like flowy trails but most here in CO that I have access to are not. I really just want aomething that rolls faster than 4" JJs which is why i started this search. This is my only MTB, so I want to make it count. I think the 27.5+ should meet my needs even if I sacrifice a 1/2 in in BB. Im open to suggestions on alternate 4" tires too like maybe 120tpi HuDu but not sure anything 4" is goong to make a difference compared to the JJs
    Nah, 4" tires are slow and handle akward, esp on a hardtail. If this is your only bike, build a set of 27.5 with a 45-50mm rim (Duroc is my current fav), then add some 3" tires for summer.

Come fall, try some Minion 3.8 if the JJs are too sloppy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think thats the plan. I run VanHelgas in the winter. Never liked the JJs in the snow, at least when turning... at all.

I've liked my mulefuts, so Im sure the duroc is a good wheel, but honestly hadnt heard much about them, although I just started looking in this range. Had luck with Hope Pros, so might try the fatsno.

Thanks for the input all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JillRide45 View Post
    On the other hand I have 65mm LB rims with a wheel set that weight 1600 grams. JJs on these wheels roll as fast as by 27.5 x 3 wheels.
    +1 I'm running JJ's 4.0 on 65mm Nextie's and they are light and fast. It is the only wheelset i have currently for the fatty but it rolls much faster than either of my 26'r hardtail or FS.

I'd consider a 650B or 700C wheelset but not until i have an 80-85mm and a 100-105mm wide wheel sets first. But that's just me, YMMV.