Beargrease vs. Farley (help me decide)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Beargrease vs. Farley (help me decide)

Going around in circles on this, input welcomed.
    2019 Salsa Beargrease either Deore (and save a little $) or the NX model
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6

Riding will be groomed singletrack, paths, and commutes which is mixed terrain and semi-urban. I'd likely also ride it in the summer for family bike rides/mountain biking in the midwest. Like idea of putting rack on back to tote my dog which is easier on the BG it seems, but thats more a dream than a need.

Keep thinking Trek can take wider tires/adjustable, the BG is so slick looking and fast. Help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think Trek has done an excellent job on the plus and fat bikes. The one non-steel bike I own is a Trek Stache. I think it is great. I also own a couple of Surly fat bikes. My opinion on Fat bikes is that if a person wants steel then Surly, if they want aluminum or carbon then go Trek.

I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying a Trek Farley. Although I am sure the Beargrease is a grest bike as well. Maybe you can negoiate a little off the Farley, so there is not that great of a difference.

mtbr member

I own a 2018 NX Beargrease here. Came from a Specialized Fatboy. I use mine for mostly groomed snow and snow covered dirt roads but have frame and other bags for some overnight adventures in the summer. The Beargrease is a great bike and much more versatile than my Fatboy. I have no time on the Farley, but I do know that the Beargrease is a great bike and a four season capable ride
    Enjoy the ride...

The White Jeff W
    The geometry (on paper) is nearly identical. The main difference IMO is the Farley will fit a bigger tire. If that matters to you then there ya go.
    No moss...

This place needs an enema
    Farley for sure.

Ability to run a bigger tire plus adjustable dropouts = awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I test rode both a few years back. Opted beargrease and don’t regret it at all. I found it more “nimble”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    One petty thing that bothers me about the Farley is the external cable routing, I know its aesthetic but still I think it makes the Trek look sloppy. The BG is so sleek and everything is sleeved internal. I am wondering if Trek would likely do this on a future Farley model, and if so does anyone know when an updated Farley might be due up or how long ago the most recent iteration of big changes was introduced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
    One petty thing that bothers me about the Farley is the external cable routing, I know its aesthetic but still I think it makes the Trek look sloppy. The BG is so sleek and everything is sleeved internal. I am wondering if Trek would likely do this on a future Farley model, and if so does anyone know when an updated Farley might be due up or how long ago the most recent iteration of big changes was introduced?
    I actually think the external cable routing is a big plus, especially for the rear brake. Looks the like the Farley has internal for a dropper and the rear derailleur, at least in the down tube.

If you compare the NX models, the Salsa is $100 cheaper, and the parts spec's are very similar. The Farley has wider & better winter tires, the Salsa has mounts on the fork and frame for carrying stuff. The Farley claims it's a bit lighter, and I think the chainstays can be shorter with the adjustable dropouts.

Both bikes will be great. I like the look and geometry of the Trek better, but like the carrying options of the Salsa better...

mtbr member

fork mounts for anything cages and bags...more beer
    Enjoy the ride...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    That's pretty weak without even having rack mounts on the frame though...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I think very, very few people understand how absolutely crappy a bike handles when it has weight on the fork legs.

If you're riding gravel roads instead of dirt or snow trail, fine -- it can work. But why would you choose a fatbike for gravel roads?

mtbr member
    Farley fits bigger tires
    Beargrease has more mounts.

Pick your poison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Farley for sure.

Ability to run a bigger tire plus adjustable dropouts = awesome.
    Yes, the adjustable dropouts are key. On the el gordo, they are slammed forward with the fat tires and mostly back for 29+ in the summer, so both setups ride better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is length of warranty important to you?

mtbr member
    I've ridden both except the Farley was the EX full suspension.
    Both come with same size tire and the new claims are that these leave the same footprint as a 26X5. I'm sure half the internet is still debating that one. I rode the Farley in the U.P. and had zero complaints.
    I ended up buying the BG. Full suspension on a fatbike was overkill for my personal riding. I also bought the deore BUT I switched out the cassette for a NX and the derailleur and shifter for a GX and came in $400 cheaper than the NX model BG.
    And is lenth of warranty important to you? Are these bikes being sold locally?
    Farley will run bigger tires but you can get 5" tires under a BG if you use 26" hoops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Salsa Mukluk? The new Bear Grease has nearly the same geometry as the Mukluk now. Mukluk has adjustable dropouts, fork mounts, and can take the larger tires like a Farley.

Tough choices with probably no bad answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by qa_bugfinder View Post
    Salsa Mukluk? The new Bear Grease has nearly the same geometry as the Mukluk now. Mukluk has adjustable dropouts, fork mounts, and can take the larger tires like a Farley.

Tough choices with probably no bad answer.
    I used to be a Salsa "fanboy" and in the past would have told you to get the Beargrease. Since they started to emulate mainstream manufacturers I have distanced myself from their bikes and the brand. With that being said, the Mukluk is the proper alternative to the Farley. However, Trek has a really well designed bike with the Farley and I would have to say that I would go for that over the Salsas. Now, don't include the Surly Ice Cream Truck in that discussion because you would get a different answer from me! They are also NLA until summer from what I've heard so no need to get into that discussion...

mtbr member
    I think very, very few people understand how absolutely crappy a bike handles when it has weight on the fork legs.

If you're riding gravel roads instead of dirt or snow trail, fine -- it can work. But why would you choose a fatbike for gravel roads?
    I chose the bike for fatbike racing on snow, it also turns out that I can use the same bike for bike packing. I have no experience with a fully loaded rig but I have been planning to get out this summer and try out a new sport. Why would you choose a bike for only one season?
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member

here is my gravel bike
    Enjoy the ride...

I chose the bike for fatbike racing on snow, it also turns out that I can use the same bike for bike packing. I have no experience with a fully loaded rig but I have been planning to get out this summer and try out a new sport. Why would you choose a bike for only one season?

The pics you've shared of your bike make it look like it hasn't even been outside yet. And you just admitted you don't have experience with loaded rigs. Yet you're being defensive when someone suggests an opinion that differs from (or at least expands upon) yours?

I have bikes for different seasons because the seasons where I live are so dramatically different.

mtbr member
    The pics you've shared of your bike make it look like it hasn't even been outside yet. And you just admitted you don't have experience with loaded rigs. Yet you're being defensive when someone suggests an opinion that differs from (or at least expands upon) yours?

I have bikes for different seasons because the seasons where I live are so dramatically different.
    I do ride it, but I like to keep my bikes clean when not in use. Seems a shame to leave them muddy when they are such an investment
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Warranty isn't a key consideration. I don't see myself bikepacking, and have a trek checkpoint id probably use if i did.

Seems I can't go too wrong. From these comments I'm leaning towards hanging tight until the 2020 farley comes out given the tire clearance flexibility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
    Warranty isn't a key consideration. I don't see myself bikepacking, and have a trek checkpoint id probably use if i did.

Seems I can't go too wrong. From these comments I'm leaning towards hanging tight until the 2020 farley comes out given the tire clearance flexibility.
    Hey I am sure you will enjoy the bike, sorry to interrupt the thread with me and mikesee’s bs.
    Enjoy the ride...

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    Tough choice, I was just in your shoes about a month ago😃
    For me it boiled down to tire size and I'm hoping I can run this thing in SS mode in summer thanks to its adjustable dropouts. I do agree, Trek has some cleaning up to do on this frame....front derailleur mount and external cable mounts🙄???? c'mon guys...lol
    The fit/ride and that rage red makes up for some of the messy looking crap on the frame though. I also scored a wicked deal on a 1 month old bike, where I'd be looking at a full retail experience buying the Salsa🙄
    I Ride, I Know