mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Beargrease as a multi season trail bike?

The frames are on sale, best price out there for a quality carbon fiber frame, but is it too fragile or can it take daily riding trail abuse?

It's only a deal if it don't break.

For example, would you run a Fox Float fork on it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you planning to do trials or something on it? It'll work like a normal hardtail, because that's what it is. Probably more than half of the owners ride them in the summer as well, and yes, you can plug in a regular suspension fork in there and use skinny wheels if you want. I did it for a few seasons.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Are you planning to do trials or something on it? It'll work like a normal hardtail, because that's what it is. Probably more than half of the owners ride them in the summer as well, and yes, you can plug in a regular suspension fork in there and use skinny wheels if you want. I did it for a few seasons.
    So you'd consider it durable for daily use on dirt and rock, like any other cf hardtail?

Would you call the ride sporty? Anything you didn't like about the frame?

Does it make a nice 29+? If not, what would be your first choice?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't ride a salsa, but in general, you can ride fatbikes in the summer just fine. You can put skinny wheels and tires on them and they ride just fine. 29er wheels make the most sense and fit the easiest, then if you want to go to + you have to check the specific frame. Much of the time, if it does +, it will probably have a pretty long wheelbase. Not a huge deal, but it'll be a bit sluggish, more like an "old school" 29er type bike, still plenty fun. I raced on my carbon fatbike frame in the summer time and did just fine. Two years ago I rode it rigid..did one race like that and decided HELL NO, got an FS fork for it this season and it was better. So many rough races though that I finally built up an XC FS bike here at the end of the season, which is a godsend compared to riding the front-suspension fatbike-turned skinny bike in the summer. Hardtails ain't all that bad, but our race-planners have a hard-on for root infested tracks and gnarly downhills. I also want to do some bigger endurance racing where I think I'll want to have the compliance of a FS bike, as opposed to going all-out for 2hrs during a race on the hardtail and just dealing with it.

Personally, I don't care for + sizes, and due to that, I'd look more for a fatbike that has shorter chainstays, so when using it as a skinny-bike hardtail, the geometry is closer to modern 29ers. I don't find tire volume makes up for a lack of suspension/damping at any kind of speed above a crawl, but YEMV.

About the only real limitation with fatbikes in the summer comes from some of the lighter rims, like HEDs, which while people do ride them in the summer, are not recommended for it.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, I XC raced the hardtail fatbike turned skinny bike for two summers, and IME, expert racers put a whole lot more stress on their bikes than intermediate AM riders going downhill. In the races, I am saying to myself "holy crap, I'm riding this thing faster than I usually ride my AM bike down this", being beaten to hell, but somehow holding on. Then the standing and pedaling, it's like you're trying to rip the damn chain apart constantly. Fatbikes work just like regular hardtails, cuz they are, just fatter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh, I thought you had one.

I know fat bikes, that's not my question. I need hands on experience with this frame.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a carbon BG as my only bike for over 2 years now. Initially I rode and raced it full rigid and the performed flawlessly! I've wrecked hard a handful of times and never picked up anything more then a scratch. I'm on my second frame (only because I wanted to try a different size) and now run a bluto up front. I fly down rock and root infested trails well beyond my skill level and haven't had a scare once. I will say my 2014 black finish was a lot easier to take care of then my 2016 flat painted frame. It shows every little scratch and is hard to keep clean....still love it though.
    Also if you are buying a 2015 or older be aware the stock fork is 142mm spacing which is annoying.

I ran 27+ for the first time this summer and after a few rides in grew on me. Compared to my 85mm wheelset the plus wheels roll faster and get in and out of corners faster. I really wanted to go 29+ but everyone and their brother talked me out of it. I think it would be a sweet 29+ set up. As far as the geo, I feel it is a good balance of xc and trail. The 68.5 degree head angle allows for sharp switchbacks and just slack enough for Midwest DH's. The 440mm chainstays make it feel plenty playful for me.

I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on one if that's your main concern. In the slim chance you do damage a frame Salsa usually do a great job of taking care of you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I owned the 2016 creamsicle BG. I have no doubt it will be as durable as any other carbon framed bike. I sold it because I actually liked the feel of my Alu BG better(the carbon BG is a little damp for my liking). I know I gave up rear thru axle but I can deal with that for what the bike is.

I would not hesitate to buy one because of durability reasons. As Justin said, the pink and orange color scheme is a little hard to keep clean but the bike rips!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have had my pink BG for just over a year of 4-5 days a week of hard single track riding on the wet west coast of Canada with no problems. I added a Thomson dropper 27.2 seatpost which is great for me. I am 225lbs & do not take it easy on bikes. Went to 29+ for the summer which is a great option to have! My Spec Enduro 29 is gathering dust this last year as the BG is as much fun to ride this morning as it was a year ago! Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, I was looking at a long side trip to Portland to pick up a creamsickle Beargrease, but my LBS pulled the same deal for me, $1050, so I pulled the trigger.

Now for a Lauf and a drivetrain.

I got some beautiful Onyx wheels, 26 and 29, but I think they're gonna get sold for some DT Swiss/CF.

mtbr member
    Congrats, you are going to love it. What onyx wheels you got, I may be interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My buddy has been solely riding his BG since he bought it two years ago. Bone stock accept for tires, and he loves it.

I've ridden fat tires almost exclusively for the past 4 years with great satisfaction.

since 4/10/2009
    my boss rode Pisgah chunk on his Beargrease for quite awhile, even summer riding.

He got a Santa Cruz Hightower in 27+ flavor this year and has been riding that a lot, but he's still got the Beargrease and will be riding it more in the winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Congrats, you are going to love it. What onyx wheels you got, I may be interested.
    Gold Onyx hubs laced to WTB 29" Scraper and black Onyx hubs laced to 26" Large Marge Bronze, both sets are very fresh.

Not looking to give them away, but I'd sell if someone wants them; I'd be replacibg them with some cf rims and less expensive hubs.

Onyx is the bomb.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 10-16-2016 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Darn, not exactly what I'm looking for, but I love my Onyx hubs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've seen big dudes ride the snot out of the BG as a year-round bike (some in heavy chunk terrain and fully rigid) and have yet to hear of any frame issues. Let us know how you like your new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Darn, not exactly what I'm looking for, but I love my Onyx hubs!
    I'll probably just run em, they're just so nice to pedal, I just wish they were lighter and I built them with cf rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Well, I was looking at a long side trip to Portland to pick up a creamsickle Beargrease, but my LBS pulled the same deal for me, $1050, so I pulled the trigger.
    Say what? Is that $1050 for just the frame, or the whole bike?
    All the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a rocket guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Frameset, 50% off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    ok, that makes more sense. I really like that orange and pink frame - reminds me of the Klein paint jobs in the 90s. Didn't have the money for that though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coolasicecream View Post
    Got a complete one for 1700USD. Okay drivetrain, might go for a Next carbon crank, seatpost and handlebard.

Yes I have ridden my previous Beargrease for 1,5 year with a 120mm Bluto. I rode it through same terrain as my Mutz, and also rode likewise hard. Did not break the frame, actually the only frame I have not broken included my Mutz.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Rumblefish, was taht $1700 new or used? Share a pic, I"m sure it's a beauty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rumblefish, was taht $1700 new or used? Share a pic, I"m sure it's a beauty.
    I have not received yet. It is a demo bike, barely used. I will receive it next week, I try to post a pic then. Has anyone heard about a damaged Beargrease frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    One, broken at the downtube-bb, no pics, it was a warranty.

That's ^ why I wanted a new frame, five year first owner warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was a bit disappointed about tire clearance. I thought it was going to take 4.8 tires, but the chain was rubbing to much. Will need another crank, so any suggestion out there that will help? The X1 crank and cog is having to low q factor......

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    I have not received yet. It is a demo bike, barely used. I will receive it next week, I try to post a pic then. Has anyone heard about a damaged Beargrease frame?
    There is a Facebook group for Beargreasers, I have not heard of any frame issues from them, fwiw.

mtbr member
    Carbon BG - BEARGREASE CARBON NX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

The NX1 build complete is $1999.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If they would have had that spec last year I might have gotten it instead of my Farley 7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    There is a Facebook group for Beargreasers, I have not heard of any frame issues from them, fwiw.

There are actually 2 FB groups named "Salsa Beargrease", one has 62 and the other 168 members

I havent read about any carbon bg frame issues either on any source so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I decided to give fat bikes a second try. I bought a Fat Boy 2 years ago, but didn't get the use out of it I should have. Also, didn't care that much for the ride of it. Sold it and continued riding my Epic 29er. Got bit by the bug again here a couple weeks ago and ended up selling my Epic and using the proceeds from that to pick up a new '15 Beargrease 2 from a local shop. Negotiated the price down to $1250 (from $1600). Tough to say no considering it is a $2600 bike to begin with.

Now, looking forward to hitting the trails for some nice fall riding before the trails get groomed for the winter. I don't have any pics yet, but it is the "Bomb Pop Blue" color scheme.

mtbr member
    So I've ran rigid, Bluto, and Lauf on my BG. I have to say rigid is my favorite for fast rides as long as they don't exceed half the day in saddle. I've now moved to UT and would really like to keep running the BG year around and avoid buying a 27+ FS if possible. I'd really like to try a 120 Fox plus up front to see if that will be enough to keep me from wanting another ride. I like the idea of the wider sanctions and a touch more travel. This will slacken it out a touch while adding some BB height.
    Has anyone out there thrown a Fox Plus on their BG? I've seen quite a few on the Bucksaws. I just wanted to get some feedback this they aren't cheap and it would require me to rebuild my front to boost.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nurse Ben - Just curious how your "year round" BG has treated you? I've been thinking about selling my steel fat bikes and doing the same. One thing I want is a slightly narrower q factor, which I am hoping moving to a BG will achieve.

mtbr member
    I would check out 509 cycles especially if Q factor and weight is important. They can fit a 5" tire on 100mm rims too! I love my BG, but I have to say it does ride pretty rough compared to the competition. Now that I've build up a FS plus bike it's not a big deal, but was when I was riding 4 seasons.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I would check out 509 cycles especially if Q factor and weight is important. They can fit a 5" tire on 100mm rims too! I love my BG, but I have to say it does ride pretty rough compared to the competition. Now that I've build up a FS plus bike it's not a big deal, but was when I was riding 4 seasons.
    Thanks, man. I typically ride a rigid 29er in the summer season, so the harshness is not an issue for me. I ride in some deep snow, too, but after slogging through a season on 5" tires, 4" Nates or VH works very well for me, so I'm fine with the tire size limitations on the BG as well. But I will check out 509, thanks!

mtbr member
    Right on. Ya, I ran 4" tire's all year round on my BG and never felt the need for more. My first winter in Utah has me feeling differently. So if you are used to a rigid 29er, a rigid BG will feel great. Very snappy ride, I would recommend a nice lightweight wheelset to compliment the light frame and fork. I have 85mm HED's on mine now since it only pulls winter duty, but was running 65mm HED's and love them for year round use. More solid then the 85's and a better match with 4" tire's.

mtbr member
    I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. Thinking of running a plus wheelset for some XC racing and wasn't sure if I should go 27.5 or 29. I feel like the 29plus would raise the bottom bracket some and avoid any pedal strikes. Whats the consensus for the BG?

mtbr member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-Bearg...0AAOSwxKBZ-M3n

Would this be good all year round, lol, crazy bike.

mtbr member
    I think I can say I've tried every wheel/tire combination on my BG. When deciding between 27+ and 29+ strictly for speed 29+ gets my nod. But I would say it would be very important to run a light weight wheel/tire combo. I personally preferred the 27+ set up for summer but like you mentioned it does lower the BB height a touch even with 3 inch tires.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Right on. Ya, I ran 4" tire's all year round on my BG and never felt the need for more. My first winter in Utah has me feeling differently. So if you are used to a rigid 29er, a rigid BG will feel great. Very snappy ride, I would recommend a nice lightweight wheelset to compliment the light frame and fork. I have 85mm HED's on mine now since it only pulls winter duty, but was running 65mm HED's and love them for year round use. More solid then the 85's and a better match with 4" tire's.
    Yeah, I'm thinking of going 27.5 or 29 Plus during the summer, or maybe some Nextie 65mm rims and 3.8" Jumbo Jim's for summer set up. Then 80mm rims and Van Helga or Nates for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. Thinking of running a plus wheelset for some XC racing and wasn't sure if I should go 27.5 or 29. I feel like the 29plus would raise the bottom bracket some and avoid any pedal strikes. Whats the consensus for the BG?
    Salsa says you can go 29+ on the BG. All probably just depends on your personal preference and terrain. I tend to favor 29+ personally.

BEARGREASE CARBON GX EAGLE | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    The link I added, has a Beargrease setup 29+.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sold it last Winter.

The frame was a bit stiff, rode kinda hard, high standover when coupled with a 120mm suspension fork and big wheels, so I went with a Kona Wozo.

Nice and light!

Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Nurse Ben - Just curious how your "year round" BG has treated you? I've been thinking about selling my steel fat bikes and doing the same. One thing I want is a slightly narrower q factor, which I am hoping moving to a BG will achieve.

mtbr member
    <deleted>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    The BG has a rather low BB, so the 29+'s addition of a bit of height would be a net positive, IMO.

sir james

BG plus

Late to the party, but I am on a 2018 BG and built up a set of Hope/Velocity Dually 29+ for the dry season and it feels as good as any rigid trail bike. I have the factory 27.5 x 3.8's for the wet and muck. I added a Wren fork to the mix as well which works with both wheelsets, way better than the Bluto. Wren doesn't have a bridge and I get 100mm travel on the plus wheels at factory suggested axle to crown of 511mm. I didn't want multiple bikes, but for what I spent on wheelset #2 and fork ($1500) I could've bought a second bike .