Beargrease- Mtbr.com

Thread: Beargrease

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beargrease

Thinking about jumping on the band wagon for a go at winter riding. I have two bikes for normal stuff so it may or may not see summer duty.

Saw a deal for a salsa beargrease for $2600.

Curious about thoughts on this bike....to be honest I haven't had time to do much research - just looking to hop on and ride without thinking much!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
    I have two bikes for normal stuff so it may or may not see summer duty.
    Funny I have never heard anyone say that before

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beargrease

Ya that's why I said may or may not! Seems like it just happens....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beargrease

did some searching seems people like the bike. Price seems good....

mtbr member
    Just make sure that the bike that you are getting is what you think it is. The 2013 Beargrease is an alloy frame racing fat bike. The 2014 Beargrease is a carbon frame racing fat bike. Most of the things that I have read about a Beargrease have been about the carbon version. For 2015 the Beargrease is available in both carbon and alloy.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I picked up a Beargrease for a smoking deal thus summer. It's a great bike. I am faster on it than my SC Tallboy LTC. No regrets.

mtbr member
    Which beargrease are we talking here?
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beargrease

2014 carbon x9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
    2014 carbon x9
    Nice....seems like a fair deal. I reLly like the look of that bike, just curious to hear about the long term durability of the frame. Post some pics when you get it
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I gave it a test ride and its a great bike. The issue for me was the max size tire is 4" . I didn't want to find out that i needed something bigger for snow and sand and have to start looking for a new bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Nice....seems like a fair deal. I reLly like the look of that bike, just curious to hear about the long term durability of the frame. Post some pics when you get it
    Like after 5 years?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Like after 5 years?
    Right. Or even 3
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwaves_us View Post
    I gave it a test ride and its a great bike. The issue for me was the max size tire is 4" . I didn't want to find out that i needed something bigger for snow and sand and have to start looking for a new bike.
    It can take a 4.8" tire in the front and a 4.6 Ground Control in the rear

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have one coming and was not to worried about the tire size, this bike is more about race than adventure. Looking at some race reviews with them the guys, they did not have any issues more than others in the snow.

As said in other posts it really depends on where, when and on what you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Beargrease

The BG accepts 29er wheels so you can get a 29+ rig and a sand/snow bike in one package, New 29+ tires are here with many more on the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I picked up a Beargrease for a smoking deal thus summer. It's a great bike. I am faster on it than my SC Tallboy LTC. No regrets.
    Feel faster or actually timed faster?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Dunno for sure? My riding buddy is a bit faster than me when I ride the SC, but on the BG I can keep up. The Tallboy is a long travel bike with aggressive tires though. The SC is an XL and the BG is a large. They both weigh about 28-29 lbs. I could see myself running the BG year round with a Bluto and carbon rims. Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Beargrease

bla, bla, bla,bla,bla,bla.
    bla,bla...
    Just buy it and ride it and you'll find out!

Sent from somewhere
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Get it. I got the 14 x9 and it is the best bike purchase to date.

The frame will be fine long term. It's stronger than alloy, I think the main difference is once there is major damage it needs sent for repair vice having a big dent hoping it won't fold.

Most carbon failures are components like posts or bars. Look at the trends, most fs bikes are going carbon now. If they were prone to failures then the companies would go out of business. I would be concerned if the tech was new, not at this stage of the game.

mtbr member
    ^^ the difference you mention is a major one...having a hole in your frame versus a dent is quite a difference to me.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's what stickers are for LOL!
    Does anyone know if they have a crash replacement warranty?

As strong as carbon is it does not bend or dent, in the road world I have seen many frames break including my own. The off-road frames are not built to the same standard and are more robust, I think it will take more to break but who knows how much?

Saying that, my nephew is riding an OCLV Trek all summer with a hole in the chain stay from chain suck. He is nuts but will keep riding until it breaks..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    It can take a 4.8" tire in the front and a 4.6 Ground Control in the rear
    I'm looking at a few different frame options, but on of my concerns is being able to at least fit a GC 4.6.. Do you have knowledge that it will fit and if so, what rim width?

Thanks in advance..Dan

mtbr member
    @sworksdan This thread has photos of it on a Beargrease with RD rims
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gro...es-900102.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    @sworksdan This thread has photos of it on a Beargrease with RD rims
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gro...es-900102.html
    I appreciate the link.. That helps with my decision..

Kind Regards-- Dan

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 14 BG Carbon and am in the same situation. I live in Indiana so I'll be riding in lots of flat deep snow. I was also worried about if the stock Dillingers would suffice, but with no snow experience I don't want to replace them without giving them a try. I've read older multiple reviews on the Dillinger 4, one stating it was the best all around snow tire and others that is was just ok. If I did replace I'd probably go Bud/GC or Bud/Nate.

mtbr member
    Sorry I just found 1 of 2 non studded positive snow review:

45NRTH Dillinger Review | riding against the grain

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride my '13 AL Beargrease year round. Tubeless Escalators in summer (same tread pattern as Dillinger) and Bud/Lou in the winter. I thought the "Dillingers" were good in snow until I tried a Bud/Nate combination and started cleaning snowy hills that I would "torque-out" on before. I run Marge Lite rims and saw there was some more rear clearance even with the Nate.

So I put on a Lou on the back, which I can't run more than 10psi or it gets too big, and it will pull up snowy climbs long past when my legs wish they would be walking. That thing has the traction of a snowmobile!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've owned my BG almost one year and the Dillingers are fine in the snow. However, I did reverse the rear tire for more traction and it made a difference in the deeper snow. Try it before you buy expensive new tires.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beargrease

I ordered mine. Should be here this week.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Same here, they said this week for mine as well!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Beargrease and Dillingers both work great, I started out un studded and am now up to 120 on each. I have seen the Snowshoe XL on a friends F & R with no problems and Dillinger 5s will work too. He tried some bigger ones but the shifting to the large gears in the back made it a no go for him. The Snowshoe on the rear in first gear is very close chain/tire and will suck in mud or sticky snow.

mtbr member
    I know this conversation has became more focused on the snow ride, but I wanted to give my first impressions of my BG Carbon on singletrack from this weekend. My usual singletrack rig is a carbon FS 26er and it's a rocket on the trail for me. I would say my riding style is fast and aggressive. I love going as fast as possible riding and pushing the limits on myself and the bike. I hit my local trails with the BG this weekend and left with mixed feelings:

Pros:
    -At 11 psi this bike felt surprisingly fast
    -A lot of fun, felt like a over-sized BMX at times when jumping over obstacles
    -Never slipped once on front or rear through mud and slippery leaves and roots

Cons:
    -Lots of pedal strikes! I didn't realized how low the BB was on this bike till now. I will change pedals to thinnest I can find, but I know I will have to alter my riding style on this bike
    -High speed cornering. I think this has more to do with my inexperience on a 29er. I remember the same feeling when I rode other 29ers. I just prefer the smaller tire for quick handling. Also the wider bars probably contributed a bit.
    -Rear traction...I know this seems contradicting. On my other rig I like to use the rear break to swing out my rear end in corners, which is a lot of fun for me. The BG has so much traction over the rear tire I couldn't get the same effect. I ended up in the woods a couple of times. I figured if I wanted to be able to slide out the rear I need to either use more lever pressure to lock up the rear, shift my weight more forward, or use a less aggressive rear tire.
    -Stock grips were un comfortable for me. Oury grips on the way!

I plan on making these minor changes and hitting the trail again. I'm also going to try less psi to smooth out the ride. I'm still very happy with this bike and bought it for snow use. I know it is unfair to compare it to a FS race bike, but that's all I have to go off of. I'm sure it would have been a closer comparison for a 29er hardtail rider. Anyone have some of the same experiences out there?

my knees hurt
    I've been very happy with my Grease so far. Have had it for 9 months, all desert riding (loose sand over granite or babyheads). Setup split tube tubeless...I've worn out two Dillingers, a Husker, and I'm waiting for another Dillinger to pair up with a new Bud front. Been running 7.5-8 psi rear and 7 psi front. Traction is phenomenal. It's a 2014 carbon x9 set up 1 x 10. The only other changes are XT brakes with 180 mm front ant 160 mm rear rotors.
    Last edited by singlespeedsycip; 10-30-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Jpfurn

Great review that really fuelled my fire, mine was supposed to be in last week.
    Post up a picture when you can.
    How did you find the brakes once they bedded in, that is the only part on the bike I question..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevo-66 View Post
    Jpfurn

Great review that really fuelled my fire, mine was supposed to be in last week.
    Post up a picture when you can.
    How did you find the brakes once they bedded in, that is the only part on the bike I question..
    Beargrease-bg-stream.jpgBeargrease-bg-woods.jpg

I just setup tubeBeargrease-duke-bg-woods.jpgless today, but have not had another chance with the other changes on single track. I have just rode it in a couple fields with my dog pulling me, which makes everything feel better! I'll update after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I know this conversation has became more focused on the snow ride, but I wanted to give my first impressions of my BG Carbon on singletrack from this weekend. My usual singletrack rig is a carbon FS 26er and it's a rocket on the trail for me. I would say my riding style is fast and aggressive. I love going as fast as possible riding and pushing the limits on myself and the bike. I hit my local trails with the BG this weekend and left with mixed feelings:

Pros:
    -At 11 psi this bike felt surprisingly fast
    -A lot of fun, felt like a over-sized BMX at times when jumping over obstacles
    -Never slipped once on front or rear through mud and slippery leaves and roots

Cons:
    -Lots of pedal strikes! I didn't realized how low the BB was on this bike till now. I will change pedals to thinnest I can find, but I know I will have to alter my riding style on this bike
    -High speed cornering. I think this has more to do with my inexperience on a 29er. I remember the same feeling when I rode other 29ers. I just prefer the smaller tire for quick handling. Also the wider bars probably contributed a bit.
    -Rear traction...I know this seems contradicting. On my other rig I like to use the rear break to swing out my rear end in corners, which is a lot of fun for me. The BG has so much traction over the rear tire I couldn't get the same effect. I ended up in the woods a couple of times. I figured if I wanted to be able to slide out the rear I need to either use more lever pressure to lock up the rear, shift my weight more forward, or use a less aggressive rear tire.
    -Stock grips were un comfortable for me. Oury grips on the way!

I plan on making these minor changes and hitting the trail again. I'm also going to try less psi to smooth out the ride. I'm still very happy with this bike and bought it for snow use. I know it is unfair to compare it to a FS race bike, but that's all I have to go off of. I'm sure it would have been a closer comparison for a 29er hardtail rider. Anyone have some of the same experiences out there?
    Update:
    Second time out on single track was a lot more enjoyable! I went with 8/8.5 psi and the bike still felt fast and a lot smoother, it absorbed a lot more bumps then 11 psi did.

I ran with thinner platforms this time around it is almost eliminated pedal strikes for the day. The ole time I had one was when my legs were smoked and I was doing to much pedaling from the saddle. This bike is definitely going to make me stronger!

Oury grips helped as well as handle bar sweep adjustment. I'm having a problem getting the right angle for the brake levers. If I put them down where I like them they could strike the top tube when swung all the way around. This is probably just a problem on XL frames.

I used the front breaks a lot more this time which helped me feel a lot more comfortable in high speed turns and sweeps. Still not as fun as whipping the rear end around, but still adapting.

Now I'm fighting the urge to buy some Shoeshoe XL's or GC's for upcoming snow. I plan on doing some slow snow exploring this winter. I know I should just try the Dill's first, but I've got the bug!

aka bOb
    Why not just get Bud and Lou right away?

my knees hurt
    I don't think the Lou will fit the rear of the Beargrease. I like the Bud up front though.
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip View Post
    I don't think the Lou will fit the rear of the Beargrease. I like the Bud up front though.
    +1... They'd already be sitting in my garage ready for the snow if they did. In a earlier post the SS XL was mentioned to fit the rear on BG Carbon. I believe for best float that leaves me to GC's or XL's. The XL's are cheaper (if available) and have gotten strong snow reviews. I don't know if it has less rolling resistance then Lou, but it would be nice.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    +1... They'd already be sitting in my garage ready for the snow if they did. In a earlier post the SS XL was mentioned to fit the rear on BG Carbon. I believe for best float that leaves me to GC's or XL's. The XL's are cheaper (if available) and have gotten strong snow reviews. I don't know if it has less rolling resistance then Lou, but it would be nice.
    That's surprises me that they would even make a fat bike that doesn't fit the biggest tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    That's surprises me that they would even make a fat bike that doesn't fit the biggest tires.
    Ya that was the biggest compromise when I decided to buy it. Salsa has received a lot of feedback on this topic, which led them to the Blackbarrow. I just couldn't make myself pay full retail on one or a ICT and patiently wait for it to arrive. There is always a lot less used XL frames for sale, so I jump when I can get my hands on one.