Beach vacation allowed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Beach vacation allowed?

If I get a fat bike, will I be allowed to ride @ the Jersey Shore on vacation! Aside from the winter riding this would be a big plus! Anyone have experience with their fat bike on vacation?
    Last edited by nelzbycks; 02-27-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: punctuation

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I live at the Jersey shore, and I can't answer that question. Every town or beach park has their own set of rules. I'd bet that most have never seen a bike that can be ridden on the beach, and I'd be surprised if any of them had a specific rule that bans them. At any resort beach in the summer, they'd be too crowded during the day to ride anyway. Lifeguards generally go off duty at 5 PM, so you could probably ride then.

Which beach do you go to?

mtbr member
    Unless its winter or early morning or at night in summer not going to happen...also watch out for Vinny Goombatz he might steal your bike

mtbr member
    I'm more worried about having sand kicked in my face, remember those ads in the back of magazines? Get muscles in seven days. Hahaha. In the summer the pine barrens holds lots of possibilities for an extended sand road/trail week or two or three week tour, as long as you don't mind ticks, chiggers, and leeches

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'm more worried about having sand kicked in my face, remember those ads in the back of magazines? Get muscles in seven days. Hahaha. In the summer the pine barrens holds lots of possibilities for an extended sand road/trail week or two or three week tour, as long as you don't mind ticks, chiggers, and leeches
    I avoid the piney areas in the summer because of the ticks. My favorite local riding area, Hartshorne Woods, has a nice view of the ocean,and you can link up a nice woods/beach ride.

If you're worried about leeches, you can leave your kids at home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ocean City, NJ specifically. Mornings when its allowed to ride boards. I figure boards one way beach the other.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hmmm. I never considered that there would be rules against bikes on the beach. Reminds me to check where I live.

ML

All fat, all the time.
    I haven't had any issues so far regarding rules on the beaches, but then again I've never been to the Jersey Shore so...

Most folks smile & wave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Fatbike ocean city nj

I picked up a pugsley in January.
    I've ridden in ocean city a couple times since.
    The bike rides great, and beach riding is fun. You'll need to hose off after, and expect shorter drive chain life with more overall corrosion- I'll budget for that.
    I agree with others that say to ride outside lifeguard hours in the summertime.
    They don't have an ordinance against fatbikes, but the have a lot of blue laws.
    Ordinance 87-17 is like an all encompassing nucience law. It includes rules such as no ball playing or picnicking on the beach. They can pretty much get you for anything with it.
    If you stay respectful and away from crowds, you'll be fine- but as more fatbikes show up, you can bet they'll regulate it.
    Through high school and college I rented bikes and lifeguarded in ocean city.
    Wait till the rental companies get a whiff and start getting some tommi sea or sun...
    I bet it won't be long before there are clear rules. It'll only take one or two idiots to ruin it for everyone in such a crowded summer town.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's just what I was looking for, thanks^^. I haven't even seen a fat bike in person, yet. I live in the Philly area & spend a week at the shore every year just about. If I can find one to buy, I'd like to get one this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Philly fat

Hey- what do you know.
    I live on the jersey side and work in philly.
    I picked up the pug at bicycle revolutions on 4th in Philly.
    They had a couple pugsleys, necromancers, and a moonlander when I bought mine.
    Real nice folks.
    If they don't have any left, I'd be open to you trying mine.
    It's 18". I work at the navy yard, and ride it in a few days a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow! I had no idea there was that much of a selection of fat bikes in the Philly area! I've been to Trophy bikes which dels Surlys as well and all they seem to have re Cross Checks! That is a real nice gesture on your part to offer a test ride like that! If it's in the cards for me financially, I may have to take you up on that! I work nights @ the United States Postal Service vehicle maintenance facility which is actually pretty close to navy yard, right across Girard point bridge. Now I'm excited to see what inventory Bicycle Revolutions has!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Alright, I test rode necromancer and moonlander in 16" at Bicycle Revolutions. Really nice people. They even let me ride an Ogre in 18" for size comparisons! I like them all! Well, if they get an 18" in stock, they're gonna give me a buzz. We didn't really talk price, I guess that can wait until they actually have my size in stock. You really can't get a feel for capability of these bikes in an urban setting but I did go up and down some curves and climbed a 3 foot high leaf pile in the local playground/park. Good fun! The bikes aren't cumbersome in any way really! With the short wheelbase 16 and the gearing you could air down the rear and probably wheelie an entire city block! When Surly comes out with the Big Black Floyd tire for clown shoes I will buy a moonlander as a road bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a pug and an ogre both the same size, 22. Dont think a fatbike is only for snow and sand. i ride my pug on singletrack and it is a blast

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    UPDATE: I answered my own questions. I had a great time with my Moonlander on vacation! This bike is a huge crowd-pleaser! When you ride on the boards with the only fatbike in town (although I did hear there was one other), you will definitely get noticed! I did ride the moonlander on the sand and beaches, without incident really; mostly outside of lifeguard hours. There's too many people out there during lifeguard hours anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    More pics:

mtbr member
    Nice, glad it worked out. We ride the national seashore on Cape Cod and its kind of the same deal, its a grey area because the bikes are so new. Biking on the beach is allowed, but previously the only place you could ride was the packed sand below the high tide mark. From what I hear there have been quite a few fatbikes on the Cape this year. Hopefully everyone rides them respectfully so people don't start getting pissed, and force some kind of official policy.

All fat, all the time.
    Nice!!
    I got a beach ride in today, man, so fun & relaxing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Beach vacation allowed?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1343699786.494815.jpgon this beach, false cape state park Virginia, it is easy. You have the whole beach to yourself. About 5 miles absolutely to myself today
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    I haven't lived in Jersey for many years, but I'm thinking Island Beach SP might be a nice place to ride. Nice stretch of beach down there, plenty of places to find solitude... well 20 yrs ago it was (hope it still is)

11 is one louder than 10
    I'm at the Jersey shore right now with the family, I'm not much of a beach guy, however I've been busting out the mukluk every morning for at least an hour up and down the beach. Other than a lot of looks, comments (mostly like that much be really hard..) I've had no issues at all.

It's a good workout for sure. So humid I can't wear sunglasses though and that makes it tough.

I'm tearing it up and down from the ortley beach, lavalette area.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I'm at the Jersey shore right now with the family, I'm not much of a beach guy, however I've been busting out the mukluk every morning for at least an hour up and down the beach. Other than a lot of looks, comments (mostly like that much be really hard..) I've had no issues at all.

It's a good workout for sure. So humid I can't wear sunglasses though and that makes it tough.

I'm tearing it up and down from the ortley beach, lavalette area.
    Hey, not too far from my area. Let me know if you wanna do a ride in the woods.
    (Bonus points for the Office Space quote in your sig!)

Members who have read this thread: 0