BD Deadeye wheels holding up okay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BD Deadeye wheels holding up okay?

I just got a great deal on a new Surly 1x1 and want to put a set of 26+ wheels on it. I'm finding that a built set of 50mm Rabbit Holes is $700ish tho', so not too keen on that. The regular Deadeye has 50mm's in the 100/135 configuration I need. At $299 for the entire bike(wish I could just order the wheelset), thought maybe this would work out. Mostly riding on bike paths & occasional easy-level trails, so don't need bomb-proof rims. How are the wheels holding up for you Deadeye owners?
    Framebones 29r belt drive, Surly 1x1mid-fat, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, TommiSea Fatbike, FGFS/Loopwheel, Mini-velo/MTB :ihih:

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you do buy the Deadeye for just the wheels, I would consider buying your frame. Or buy the bike to sell you the wheels. Assuming you're in the contiguous US. Keep in touch in case you want to go that route - would need to pick the right size frame for it to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    A couple weeks ago you could order the wheelset from bike island. Might want to check there...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They have wheelsets with 135/170 hubs for the Gravity Knockout, not 100/135 hubs for the Deadeye or Deadeye Monster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sorry, my bad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    They have wheelsets with 135/170 hubs for the Gravity Knockout, not 100/135 hubs for the Deadeye or Deadeye Monster.
    This. However, I have one of their retail stores an hour away(Jax,FL), so might pop in and see if they can order the 100/135's. I called earlier and they referred me to the Bike Island site.

BATRG3- I'd definitely consider your idea, as all I need is the wheelset...
    Framebones 29r belt drive, Surly 1x1mid-fat, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, TommiSea Fatbike, FGFS/Loopwheel, Mini-velo/MTB :ihih:

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by P7HVN View Post
    I just got a great deal on a new Surly 1x1 and want to put a set of 26+ wheels on it. I'm finding that a built set of 50mm Rabbit Holes is $700ish tho', so not too keen on that. The regular Deadeye has 50mm's in the 100/135 configuration I need. At $299 for the entire bike(wish I could just order the wheelset), thought maybe this would work out. Mostly riding on bike paths & occasional easy-level trails, so don't need bomb-proof rims. How are the wheels holding up for you Deadeye owners?
    P7HVN,

Wondering if you ever found a way to acquire the Deadeye wheels or found some other reasonably priced 26+ wheels? I'm in the same boat, looking for some 100/135 wheels for 26" Dirt Wizards.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When shipping was factored in, the cost of re-shipping those wheels made the deal less attractive compared to buying the 135/170 set and building them on Shimano hubs. In stock form, the wheels aren't as true as I have come to expect from a LBS wheel build.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok, so they bought the 135/170 and changed out the hubs. I was hoping you'd say they found some other super awesome cheap wheelset! Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I don't know that this happened, just that it seemed to be a better value than splitting the bike and shipping the wheels, so we didn't do it.

I am just starting to use Deadeye wheels with original hubs, after working out a rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    I don't know that this happened, just that it seemed to be a better value than splitting the bike and shipping the wheels, so we didn't do it.

I am just starting to use Deadeye wheels with original hubs, after working out a rear derailleur.
    How are the deadeye wheels working out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    After truing the wheels when my Deadeye arrive last October, my wheels are holding up fine. I rode them last fall on trails, through the winter on bike paths, and again on trails this spring. Maybe have 100 hours on them?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Cool, sounds like they're working well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbunyan View Post
    P7HVN,

Wondering if you ever found a way to acquire the Deadeye wheels or found some other reasonably priced 26+ wheels? I'm in the same boat, looking for some 100/135 wheels for 26" Dirt Wizards.

Thanks
    I ended up going with a new wheelset, from NW Trials. With 47mm Neon rims, sealed bearing disk hubs(SS), for $350 shipped. I'll post up pics when I get them; FedEx has been trying to deliver for the last week, but I've been at work and there is a signature requirement for them.
    FedEx is a pain in the butt to deal with: They will hold at the "local" office for 7 days for me to pick up, but that office is over 60mi.s away. The real local office won't hold FedEx ground shipments... but I seemed to have worked out a deal with them and they will deliver to my work tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed....

I found several nice wheelsets, on ebay and here(in the Hot Deals section) that were in the $200-250 range, but the widest were in the 31-33mm width range. That would have been fine for the tires I expect to use(2.5-2.75), but I wanted more of a fat bike look. The Surly 1x1 I'm putting these on is built up pretty nicely, so didn't mind spending a little extra for the 47's.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by P7HVN View Post
    I ended up going with a new wheelset, from NW Trials. With 47mm Neon rims, sealed bearing disk hubs(SS), for $350 shipped. I'll post up pics when I get them; FedEx has been trying to deliver for the last week, but I've been at work and there is a signature requirement for them.
    I have been looking at those as well, if you get a chance, please do post some pics when you get them.

mtbr member
    Posted up pics, in a new thread, over in the 26" forum...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Out of the box I'm not super satisfied. They are pretty wobbly, enough that I can't figure out if a new, slightly larger tire will actually fit or not.

On the upside, the Panaracer 26x4 FatBNimble actually fits the non-Monster Deadeye frame pretty well, so far, maybe. I'll have a better idea once I get it trued at my LBS.

With the stock wheels I was running a 1x8, but if I finalize on the FBN, I will probably go 1x7 and space the chainring out just a tad.