mtbr member

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?

Found these at $27 and they look pretty nice and are apparently quite warm down to low teens bare hand and under 0 with thin wool layer gloves.

I was watching the following video and was trying to determine if they would be too big to use on a bike... they do look big, but I have never used or actually see "bike" specific pogies so can't compare...

I must say I like the protective thingy on the front... can't recall the exact number of times I bumped my hands while going through tight trail section with lots of trees on each sides...

What do you guys think ?

Here's the clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJFJnF7MjU

Cheers!

beer thief
    I have a set and they are excellent. Look in the other pogie thread on Wolf Tooth and I linked a set of formerly $12 Kolpins

mtbr member
    Mine are Mad Dog Outdoors atv bar mitts . They work but are a summer time Realtree camp, ( green) whereas my bike is snow camo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fat bike's specific pogies are just hip and are $$$, Atv or Snomobile one areyes, a little larger but they do the job just fine and are waaaayyyyyy cheaper. Just go!

RAKC
    Cycling ones are overpriced by ALOT. But ones like that are going to bike big, cumbersome and no support for the impact guards on outsides of them. I have a pair of Pogies I got for $15 off amazon which work ok for commuting (one way is 15-20mins). Was researching some better but not "cycling gear" priced ones the last couple weeks, then my wife got me bar mitts for Xmas. See how those do. Hard to choke up $100 for a pair of cycling ones with the prices of atv/snowmobile ones.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The Atv poggies are a good value. I have a set and they work great on the atv. They are not even close in warmth to the Revelate poggies. It just depends on the temps you will be riding in and what you need from from your poggies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    They are not even close in warmth to the Revelate poggies.
    Holy crap... $235 ?! lol.... and I thought the Cobrafist were overpriced... Unbeleivable!

So, ordered the $27 ATV pogies and will wear light gloves when it's getting too cold for bare hands...

Laramie, Wyoming
    Warm hands are never overpriced.

mtbr member
    I use the Scooter Logic set, $12 and ride with Mechanix gloves. Works well in really cold weather, maybe not the best fit, but for the price they work great.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by benlowery View Post
    I use the Scooter Logic set, $12 and ride with Mechanix gloves. Works well in really cold weather, maybe not the best fit, but for the price they work great.
    What is "really cold weather" to you?

mtbr member
    What is "really cold weather" to you?
    I grew up in "Walden, CO" if that helps you identify with "really cold weather"

but I have ridden these in -10F for about an hour and my hands didn't get cold, feet were another story.

since 4/10/2009
    I looked at some ATV ones. I know a guy who uses some. I didn't care for them. Pretty thin insulation, too long.

I'm pretty happy with the performance of mine. The fit could be better, but then again, I drew up the patterns myself using cardboard mockups.

But the most important part is that they're warm and address comfort in conditions where gloves haven't worked well for me.

mtbr member
    I got a set of Pogy,s for my wife's bike but she doesn't use them . She is not riding off road much and likes to sit more upright with her hands on the bar ends . She wears Kinko gloves. Same as what most companies issue on The Slope . I wear Refridgawear foam insulated leather gloves . Same as I wear for work.in the arctic. For short rides anyway. The Pogy,s look better, might be warmer. But both work. And that's riding at ~30F .
    Since we have the only fat bikes in the Copper Basin. I guess WE set the fat.bike fashion for here. :=) .
    At least we are the only ones that ride in the winter here that we know of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benlowery View Post
    I'm also using the Scooter Logic's. I've been down to 0 with them with gloves underneath with no issue. To be honest I wouldn't ride below that, the pogies woudn't be the limiting factor. In the teens they are great with a jersey (50 cents cotton glove) underneath. Up into the 20's they are hot with that setup. I haven't used them above freezing, I just go full size gloves then.

mtbr member
    Why not ride when it's colder ????

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm using a ~$30 set here in Anchorage my brother got from a local hardware store (AIH); he had issues with the triggers on the shifters or such and gave them to me. I love 'em. Ridden down to around zero or a bit below and just wear thin rubberized work gloves for the most part. They even get too warm so I ride barehanded often. I can stash a baclava and gloves inside to boot. Without the pogies it was always thick finger gloves or even mitts. The wind seems to be a big factor for me. I'll try them on the snow machine later, the heated grips do work on it but the lag time to heat the bars and get through thick gloves makes for some long cold stretches! I also found I can ride just gripping the bars from outside the pogies, nothing really intense but can even shift with the grip shifters. In short, I'm sold!

beer thief
    Warm hands are never overpriced.
    Until they are so hot that your hands are dripping with sweat. Both pairs of the el cheapo ATV mitts I bought are plenty warm. I would not want any more insulation.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Until they are so hot that your hands are dripping with sweat. Both pairs of the el cheapo ATV mitts I bought are plenty warm. I would not want any more insulation.
    At those temps, poggies aren't needed.

beer thief
    At those temps, poggies aren't needed.
    What are "those temps"? 0 to 10 F they're not needed? Suit yourself bro. I don't use them all that often because of overheating. And it gets cold here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I use ATV bar mitts with Mechanics gloves and like them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just bought some pogies that are made for ATV's and they are quite a bit better than the Bar Mitt's I've been - larger, warmer, lighter, easier to remove/install. My biggest issue with the Bar Mitts has always been that they are a pain to install and remove so I've always just left them on the whole time once winter starts. It's nice to do some warmer rides without them.

The ones I bought are very simple, and had no brand name on them - they were about 40 bucks ($cdn) at a snowmobile/atv shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a cheaper model of Kolpins and I like them. A friend has the bar mitts. The bar mitts go just past the wrist while the Kolpins nearly make the elbow, personal preference may apply here. The mitts also attach to the bar ends so are held in place nicely while the Kolpins will flop down when you remove your hands. Again, preferences apply. With the mitts they are more time consuming to install and remove, plus once your hands are in them the Kolpins being able to rotate is not an issue. No reason to over spend. We ride year round in NH and find it is best to be a bit cold the first 10 minutes or otherwise you overheat once you get your heart rate up. When I use the Kolpins I sometimes bring two pairs of gloves so I can go lighter as needed.

Fred

mtbr member
    I use the Kolpin ATV mitts and really like them. They're definitely bigger than bike-specific pogies, but they're cheap ($27 and Amazon Prime eligible!), super easy to take on and off, and let me ride either bare-handed or with regular cycling gloves during the winter. I've ridden with them in 5 degree (F) weather and my hands have been plenty warm.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    With pogies, you can simply peal them back when your hands start to get too hot. No sweaty hands.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

beer thief
    I shot some photos of the Kolpins. They have a nice reinforced opening on the sleeve so are very easy to get in and have a rubber protector around the front of the hand area. They install with a zipper on bottom and draw-string closure. Weight is 280 grams each. Made in China.

These work really well, especially considering they are under $30. The fleece lining is not stitched to the outer cordura/rubber shell on the outer 'elbow' so is loose inside but it doesn't seem to affect anything (it would be easy to hand-stitch a couple of tacks to secure this). They are typically warm enough that we wear summer weight riding gloves or bare hands. I don't use them for temps in the mid 20s F or higher as we have enough climbing to keep the internal furnace running.

Great value for a well-built product IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-kolpin-photo-1.jpg  

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-kolpin-photo-2.jpg  

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-kolpin-photo-3.jpg  

beer thief

Classic Quad Gear

The other set I bought was a pair of $12 ATV pogies from Classic Quad Gear. These are very simple L-shaped mitts with a velcro closure at the handlebar. There are no stiffeners so they flop down when you pull your hand out. Still very easy to get in just by putting your hand in and twisting your arm back & forth as you insert it.

The fleece on these are stitched to the outer shell so stay in place well. They each have a small pocket with velcro closure under the hand area for chemical hand warmers or a small stash (iPhone 5 size). Weight is 230 grams each. Made in China.

My girlfriend and I have used these and the Kolpins interchangeably and we like them both. They tend to be too hot for me but she has cold hands and loves them.

I would not hesitate to recommend either pair, with the Kolpins getting the edge for holding their shape better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-classic-quad-gear-photo-1.jpg  

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-classic-quad-gear-photo-2.jpg  

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    With pogies, you can simply peal them back when your hands start to get too hot. No sweaty hands.
    I'll try that next time I'm overheating. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Depending on the manufacturer. Dogwood yes, Cobrafists not so much, I think the Revelate (either model) would be too bulky to peal back as well. Riding with the hands ON the pogies in those cases is the fix, of course you loose shifting and braking

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy View Post
    Depending on the manufacturer. Dogwood yes, Cobrafists not so much, I think the Revelate (either model) would be too bulky to peel back as well. Riding with the hands ON the pogies in those cases is the fix, of course you lose shifting and braking
    The Kolpins pictured above would also be hard to peel back.

mtbr member
    I also use the Kolpin pogies and love them. I've only had them out for five good rides, but I couldn't be happier so far. I like that they are not attached to the end of the bar, because it makes installation or adjustment easy. They do flop when you pull your hands out, but that has proved to be a non-issue for me. Try a pair. They're cheap enough to be a great opportunity to test out. Besides, it leaves enough scratch to buy more snow bike stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I received ATV mitts as a Christmas present for my fatty from my brother who knows nothing about biking but thought I could use mitts. I have never seen or used official bar ends mitts for bikes so I can not use them to compare. These ATV mitts are perfect. Ive used them twice. They slide over all the stuff and then noose up without any hassles. They don't interfere with anything when my hands are inside.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy View Post
    Depending on the manufacturer. Dogwood yes, Cobrafists not so much, I think the Revelate (either model) would be too bulky to peal back as well. Riding with the hands ON the pogies in those cases is the fix, of course you loose shifting and braking
    Hmm, that's unfortunate. When I don't want to peal the dogwoods back, I can still operate the shifters and brakes with my hands outside on top, for more temporary situations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I got these open style skinz handguards for Christmas from my gf who probably wasn't sure what to get and assumed the most expensive ones would be the best. I was skeptical at first, but I have been super happy with them. For an extended or slow ride below zero I would want a pair of full pogies on for sure - but for anything in the single digits or teens, these actually work amazingly well with a pair of lobster gloves. Above 25 degrees or so and the gloves + guards are way too warm.

Amazon.com: Skinz Protective Gear Standard Heat Flex Hand Guards, Black: Sports & Outdoors

It is nice to be able to take your hands on and off the bars completely freely. Can't say I am really advocating these as the best choice, but if someone was debating them and wanted the ability to use the bars more freely than pogies allow - I can vouch that they do work pretty well.

As for the reviewer who said he had trouble putting them on - I can put them on in 30 seconds with my eyes closed, so not sure what his situation was.

mtbr member
    Ordered up a couple pair of the Bar Mitts this week, pair for me and a pair for my wife. We'll see how they work.....

Probably could have gone cheaper and obviously could have gone more spendy as well
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I did my first ride today with the Kolpin. I am very impressed. They did not interfere with my shifting or braking and kept my hands warm with a thin pair of gloves. You dont really even notice them while riding.

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-12523025_983577188375165_6246813164249726308_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Ordered up a couple pair of the Bar Mitts this week, pair for me and a pair for my wife. We'll see how they work.....

Probably could have gone cheaper and obviously could have gone more spendy as well
    Just to follow up on the Bar Mitts.....they worked awesome......rode both days over the weekend. Saturday was in falling snow and about 30 degrees.....rode the last couple miles with no gloves, Mitts were plenty warm. Rode today at 22 degrees and they were plenty warm, my wife also loves them. For $40ish I am pleased with these.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    I got a set of Kolpin mitts for Christmas. I tried them out for the first time last week and with a couple mods they are great. First off the zipper works it's way loose and will eventually let cold air in. Easily fixed with a safety pin. The only other issue is that they rotate down when you remove your hands. I fixed that by putting a screw through a rubber washer though the mitts into my bar end plugs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    my wife got me a set of the Rock Bros for both the fatbike and the dropbar commuter. I did a fatbike race on Saturday and my hands were perfect with the Rock Bros mitts and a pair of mechanics gloves. Great value at about $15 a set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    ...First off the zipper works it's way loose and will eventually let cold air in....

Have never had that problem. Don't yours have a draw string with the zipper? See my photos at bottom of first page of this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    I got a set of Kolpin mitts for Christmas. I tried them out for the first time last week and with a couple mods they are great. First off the zipper works it's way loose and will eventually let cold air in. Easily fixed with a safety pin. The only other issue is that they rotate down when you remove your hands. I fixed that by putting a screw through a rubber washer though the mitts into my bar end plugs.

^^^+1

Ordered the Kolpin as well... Quickly shipped by Amazon. Upon unboxing them I thought, holy crap thos are waaaaaaaay to big and bulky and heavy... barely fit tested on my bike then they quickly went back to the box and initiated a free return with Amazon.

Then I though... maybe with some mods...

What I did to end up with some cheap 45nrth-looking awesome expedition style pogies:

• Replaced the heavy, firm plastic ring that keeps the arm opening wide open with 4mm shock cord and cord lock. That way I can adjust the opening to my likings and it makes the mitt a lot less heavy, which helps it standing upright.
    • Replaced the handlebar string and lock with 4mm shock cord / cord lock, which makes it a lot easier to stay tight on the handlbar.
    • Using a piece of pipe insulation foam tubing on each side of the steam to make a tight fit with the mitt that is not letting air in.
    • Using a bar end plug that goes through the mitt (through a grommet the size of the screw, so no air leak) which holds the mitt well in place

So, although they "look" big, you don't feel them AT ALL while riding, and I'm riding some pretty technical winter singletracks with lots of bumps, up and downs etc. BUT.... They can be used for extra storage. Spare pair of thin gloves, gels, Cliff bar etc... they are very roomy so took that as an advantage.

They are WARM! They really are! Used them with a simple summer full finger bike glove at -15C past weekend and hands stayed warm for my entire 1h30 ride. And I really mean my hands were warm!

In all honesty, for someone on a budget (like me), these are really great if you're looking for the "expedition" style pogies. The Rockbros are also awesome if you're looking more for a day ride/race type mitt... 15-20$ can't be beaten for a Bar Mitts knockoff...

But this thread is about the Kolpin!

I will post pics of my mods when I get back home in a few days... they were extremly easy to do and cost me maybe 10$ in material.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicThot View Post

What I did to end up with some cheap 45nrth-looking awesome expedition style pogies:

• Replaced the heavy, firm plastic ring that keeps the arm opening wide open with 4mm shock cord and cord lock. That way I can adjust the opening to my likings and it makes the mitt a lot less heavy, which helps it standing upright.
    • Replaced the handlebar string and lock with 4mm shock cord / cord lock, which makes it a lot easier to stay tight on the handlbar.
    • Using a piece of pipe insulation foam tubing on each side of the steam to make a tight fit with the mitt that is not letting air in.
    • Using a bar end plug that goes through the mitt (through a grommet the size of the screw, so no air leak) which holds the mitt well in place

!
    Would love to see these mods in detail, as I'm interested in improving mine and having them permanently affixed via bar end plugs for the winter.
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Just ordered a pair based on the discussion in this thread... would love to see these mods too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthophyll View Post
    Just ordered a pair based on the discussion in this thread... would love to see these mods too!
    Me too

mtbr member
    I just picked up a pair of these, seem to work fine. I was riding last week in 10-12 degrees with a pair of midweight gloves and my hands were hot.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Would love to see these mods in detail, as I'm interested in improving mine and having them permanently affixed via bar end plugs for the winter.
    There you go sorry for the delay....

This is the bar end plugs I used. The rubber piece expands when screwing the allen bolt in:
    Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-20160210_105631.jpg

Basically just did a small 1/4" cut through with an exacto to get the screw through:
    Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-20160210_105605.jpg

Then you just tighten the allen bolt and it keeps the pogie well in place:
    Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-20160210_105420.jpg

I did removed the original pieces that kept the opening huh... opened. They made the pogies opening way to big for my taste and no way to adjust opening size. They were also quite heavy and prevented the pogie from staying up as in the picture above. Replaced those with 3mm shock cord and cord lock:
    Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-20160210_125749.jpg
    Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-20160210_105355.jpg

Zippers werre useless to me and kept going down when tightning on the handlebar, so took pliers and just squeezed each side of the zipper a little bit. They aren't going down anymore.

Must say, these are pretty warm... Used them -15C with a summer bike glove and hands remained warm for the hour and a half I was outside...

Very roomy too. Can bring a cliff bar, gels, extra merino bandana in these and still plenty of room. Love 'em!

mtbr member
    Just back from a pretty chilly ride :

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-12718289_898116663619455_1138797790456897282_n.jpg

Hands warm all along the 1 1/2 hour ride wearing a summer bike glove...

I'm extremely impressed!

mtbr member
    I have the Kolpin ATV pogies too. I added a bit of pool noodle about 2 or 3" long and a secondary velcro strap to the handlebar/pogie interface area. The pool noodle acts like a spacer to take up some of the space between the bar and the cables, and the velcro strap seals that end nicely.

Would purchase again. -10C and I am too hot in summer gloves. Nice and warm.

turtles make me hot
    [QUOTE=RicThot;12467319]There you go sorry for the delay....

This is the bar end plugs I used. The rubber piece expands when screwing the allen bolt in:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_105631.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1049143

Basically just did a small 1/4" cut through with an exacto to get the screw through:

Name:	20160210_105605.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1049144

Name:	20160210_105420.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1049145

I did removed the original pieces that kept the opening huh... opened. They made the pogies opening way to big for my taste and no way to adjust opening size. They were also quite heavy and prevented the pogie from staying up as in the picture above. Replaced those with 3mm shock cord and cord lock:

Name:	20160210_125749.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	1049153

Name:	20160210_105355.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1049154

Zippers werre useless to me and kept going down when tightning on the handlebar, so took pliers and just squeezed each side of the zipper a little bit. They aren't going down anymore.

Must say, these are pretty warm... Used them

Where did you get those bar plugs? I'm making my own pogies and need EXACTLY those to hold them in place.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lazy People Suck
    I saw these on Amazon for $9.95. Reviews were decent.

https://smile.amazon.com/Classic-Acc...J1EKE0T03&th=1
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    A few weeks ago I found some 15 yr old Ski-doo gauntlets in my shop and mounted them on my bike. The right side kept dropping off my arm because of the way the cables were routed and how it tied onto my handlebar with a shoelace. The left side worked great. They wee too hot for the single digit F temps I was in.

I'm sure the fatbike specific pogies are pretty nice but I don't quite understand why they cost as much as they do? It's not new technology. I had a set of pogies (gauntlets) from the 80's for my snowmachine that I'm trying to find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RicThot View Post
    There you go sorry for the delay....

Must say, these are pretty warm... Used them -15C with a summer bike glove and hands remained warm for the hour and a half I was outside...

Very roomy too. Can bring a cliff bar, gels, extra merino bandana in these and still plenty of room. Love 'em!
    Bump from the dead. Thanks for this tip!

Ordered cammo versions because they were discounted. Went for a ride without the bar ends securing them and they do drupe down too much so they are next on the order list.

I just ended up pulling the inside cinch cords tight and ting them both together.

On a -11C ride with Endura Dexter Windproof Gloves, I think they're rated to 0C, my hands almost got too warm.

Would 100% recommend if you don't mind some minor modifications.

Bar Mitts - Anyone using the Kolpin ATV OR would they be too big?-barmitts.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes. They work good and keep my hands warm with the same gloves I use in Summer. Plenty of room to work the grip shift and easy get out when you bail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
    Bump from the dead. Thanks for this tip!

Ordered cammo versions because they were discounted. Went for a ride without the bar ends securing them and they do drupe down too much so they are next on the order list.

I just ended up pulling the inside cinch cords tight and ting them both together.

On a -11C ride with Endura Dexter Windproof Gloves, I think they're rated to 0C, my hands almost got too warm.

Would 100% recommend if you don't mind some minor modifications.

Name:	BarMitts.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	1235239
    Yours are CAMO,I'm envious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk