Bar adapters on Mukluk?- Mtbr.com
    Tigard, Oregon

Bar adapters on Mukluk?

I just bought a new Mukluk and picked up a set of Surly Open bars for it and then realized they wouldn't fit on my stem, and took them back. Rookie mistake... Then I saw they have adapters to make them work in my stem! I wish the shop would have mentioned that! lol..

My question is are adapters an okay way to go or should I just find bars to fit? I like the rise and sweep of the Surlys and can't seem to find bars lke that in my stem size.

Any input would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    I've never used an adapter, but Jeff Jones sells them with his bars, so I would assume they are an acceptable alternative. Also, you could just pick up an inexpensive stem. I got a freebie take-off stem from the bike shop for testing purposes. That way you can see if your position on the bike needs to change due to the alternative bar.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis View Post
    I've never used an adapter, but Jeff Jones sells them with his bars, so I would assume they are an acceptable alternative. Also, you could just pick up an inexpensive stem. I got a freebie take-off stem from the bike shop for testing purposes. That way you can see if your position on the bike needs to change due to the alternative bar.
    Thanks! Good to know... I was going to try the bar first and then if I still want to raise them more I'd go with a stem.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by clayman29 View Post
    I just bought a new Mukluk and picked up a set of Surly Open bars for it and then realized they wouldn't fit on my stem, and took them back. Rookie mistake... Then I saw they have adapters to make them work in my stem! I wish the shop would have mentioned that! lol..

My question is are adapters an okay way to go or should I just find bars to fit? I like the rise and sweep of the Surlys and can't seem to find bars lke that in my stem size.

Any input would be appreciated!
    Are you trying to put a 25.4 bar in a 31.8 stem? There are shims available. Not expensive. Work fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Are you trying to put a 25.4 bar in a 31.8 stem? There are shims available. Not expensive. Work fine.
    Yes, thats what I wanted to do.. I actually returned the bars to the shop and asked to return them as they wouldn't fit in my stem, now I'm bummed they didn't mention the shim option! lol... Oh well, back to the shop tomorrow for bars and shims!

Now I just need to find a saddle and I'll be done! The stocker is like a 2x6 on edge! lol...

mtbr member
    My question is are adapters an okay way to go or should I just find bars to fit? I like the rise and sweep of the Surlys and can't seem to find bars lke that in my stem size:
    I put a set of Ragely Carnegie's bars on my Mukluk. They're kind of similar I think - wide, with a rise and a big sweep. And they are 31.8 oversized. I really like them. I could post a picture if you're interested.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I put a set of Ragely Carnegie's bars on my Mukluk. They're kind of similar I think - wide, with a rise and a big sweep. And they are 31.8 oversized. I really like them. I could post a picture if you're interested.
    That would be great if you could, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

mtbr member
    Here's the Carnegie' bar. I splurged on the carbon version because I wanted some vibration damening to compensate for the straight-blade fork, and I'd heard that they transmit less cold to your hands in extreme sub-zero tems. I will say that they're very flexy. Doesn't bother me, but the cheaper alloy version might be better if it did. Biggest downside is that they take a bit of time to get in the states. I'm very happy with them, but it sure seems like there should be some other 31.8 options out there too - now that so many manufacturers are jumping on the "alt bar" bandwagon. I even thought I'd seen somewhere that Salsa was coming out with their own. They were displayed alongside the Woodchipper at some trade show a year or two ago....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar adapters on Mukluk?-carnegies-1.jpg  

Bar adapters on Mukluk?-carnegies-2.jpg  

Bar adapters on Mukluk?-carnegies-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Keith, are those stock Mukluk wheels that you've drilled out or are they something else? If you drilled them, how did the process go and how are the wheels holding up? Sorry for the thread jack!

mtbr member

What Makes Carnegie Bars so Hot?

An inquiring mind wants to know??

aka DummyDiva
    Here's a Jones bar utilizing a shim on my Pugsley.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Here's the Carnegie' bar. I splurged on the carbon version because I wanted some vibration damening to compensate for the straight-blade fork, and I'd heard that they transmit less cold to your hands in extreme sub-zero tems. I will say that they're very flexy. Doesn't bother me, but the cheaper alloy version might be better if it did. Biggest downside is that they take a bit of time to get in the states. I'm very happy with them, but it sure seems like there should be some other 31.8 options out there too - now that so many manufacturers are jumping on the "alt bar" bandwagon. I even thought I'd seen somewhere that Salsa was coming out with their own. They were displayed alongside the Woodchipper at some trade show a year or two ago....
    Thanks for the pics! They do look alot like the Open bars... I have looked and I can't find any bars in 31.8 clamp sizes for this style of bend so if it takes a long time to get these I might just go ahead and get the Surlys. Too bad these aren't available stateside as I think I would go this route instead! Nice bars!

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboygrrl View Post
    Here's a Jones bar utilizing a shim on my Pugsley.

Thanks Cowboygrrl! Those are nice also! No problem with movement or anything on those?

aka DummyDiva
    Thanks Cowboygrrl! Those are nice also! No problem with movement or anything on those?
    NO problems. The shim comes with the Jones bar and Jeff uses Thompson stems a lot. In fact, when you buy a bar he sells stems at a great price!

mtbr member
    I have looked and I can't find any bars in 31.8 clamp sizes for this style of bend so if it takes a long time to get these I might just go ahead and get the Surlys.
    It might be too late, but it occurred to me to suggest that you just trade your stem for one with a normal clamp diameter. Used or take-off stems of this quality are a dime a dozen - probably cheaper than a good shim. If your LBS is decent, and if you just bought the Mukluk from them anyway, they should do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by davedivided View Post
    What Makes the Carnegie Bars so Hot? An inquiring mind wants to know??
    I'm probably not the one to prostheletize here. I bought them sight unseen, based on the recommendations of a couple of the U.K. guys who post regularly in this forum. I've been wanting to try some alt-bars, and the upright-riding-position / slogging-slowly-through-snow / monster-truck-stance of the Mukluk seemed to be an appropriate place for them. And it WAS a huge improvement over the flat bar. They were designed by the same guy who designed the On One Mary bars who, along with Jeff Jones, is sort of the trendsetter for such things. I wanted carbon for reasons mentioned above, even though I actually hate carbon fiber. And construction of these, with the kevlar wrap and wet finish, seemed head and shoulders above anything comparable.

Beyond that, I suppose it's all just ergonomics - and different bars may fit different people better. I've been jonesing (pun intended) to try a set of H-bars or J-bars, and have another project in the works where I intend to use them. I'm curious to see how they compare, since they have even MORE sweep to them than the Carnegies (45 degrees vs. 25). If a flat bar makes you ride "elbows-out," then the carnegies make you feel "elbows-in." Even though they're very wide (27.5") they don't feel wide at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Keith, are those stock Mukluk wheels that you've drilled out or are they something else? If you drilled them, how did the process go and how are the wheels holding up? Sorry for the thread jack!
    I drilled my OEM Mukluk GFS rims. Lots of threads discussing the process and value and durability of doing this , but I sure haven't had any problems. I think it would take an awful lot to bottom-out a 4" tire and actually strike a rim! Don't know exactly how much weight I shaved but, between this and some lighter tubes, I can feel the difference - less "inertia" to overcome when getting the bike up to speed. Here's a self-explanatory picture of how I held the wheel in place. Then, I just used a center punch and a 1 3/8" hole saw in a hand held drill. Easy and quick! A little emmery cloth smooths and cleans up any burrs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar adapters on Mukluk?-drilling.jpg  

Tigard, Oregon
    How much weight savings is there by drilling out the rims? Did you lay it out beforehand or just go between spokes?? I can build anything out of masonry but that scares me! lol...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How much weight savings is there by drilling out the rims? Did you lay it out beforehand or just go between spokes?? I can build anything out of masonry but that scares me! lol...
    I was able to get 300 grams out of a Fat Sheba but it had a different spoke drilling pattern than the Mukluk version. First it only had 28 spokes so there was a bit more room between the holes I drilled so I worry less about cracking around the spoke holes. Less holes means less weight savings though. I got 200 gms from the single row of big holes. Next I drilled a row of small holes along each side. I could do this because my spoke holes were not offset. I got 100 gms from the small holes. I rode one season on the big holes and one with the additional small holes with no issues. Hope this helps. P.S. There are pictures and discussions about this on earlier threads that you could probably find.

Members who have read this thread: 0