Average weight of a complete rear wheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Average weight of a complete rear wheel?

I have a 2016 Motobecane "Boris the Brut Sprung" from bikesdirect.com. Mine is purple and it looks like the one shown in this thread.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ne...ct-997506.html

(Scroll down a bit and you'll see it).

The tech specs are here :

Motobecane 2017 Boris The Brut Sprung Fatbikes With Mulefut Tubeless Compatible Wheels Shimano SLX, Rockshox Equipped Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

I weighed my rear wheel today and it tipped the scale at 9 pounds, 2 ounces. That surprised me.

What is the average weight of a complete rear wheel?

I ask because after four years I thought it would be nice to upgrade something on my bike. If an average rear wheel weighs significantly less, like 6 pounds, then maybe a rear wheel upgrade is something I can look into.

Thanks!

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My Specialized Stout (older model w/triangular cutouts) rear wheel including Avid 160mm rotor, Sunrace 11-40T cassette, Schwalbe tube and 4.6" Specialized Ground Control tire weighs 4109 grams, 9.06 lbs.

We are both no doubt toward the high end of the spectrum. It is what it is, for the dozen or so times I ride this bike per year I'm not about to go dumping $1000 into a new wheelset for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you scroll down a few threads you’ll find one called “sub 30 lb builds”. I posted the weights of each wheel build part so you can sum up VS what you measured. This is fairly light but there are lighter.

mtbr member
    One of my Pugsley rear wheels (just as an example) weighs 3340g with tire/cassette/rotor/sealant.

Another previous rear wheel weighed 3490g without cassette
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

It looks like my complete rear wheel is on the high side of normal. There's heavier out there and there's much lighter out there too. I can't say the weight has ever stopped me these past four years. There's more I can trim off my waistline than I'll ever shave off from the bike. Not knowing what to expect, I was just a little surprised by that number.

Oh, and the complete wheel is actually 9 pounds, 6 ounces. If I did the conversion right that's about 4256 grams.

I weighed one of my spare tubes. It came out to 525 grams. Maybe I can go tubeless and see what benefit I get from that.

-=- Boris