Atomik Carbon Fat Rim.....Testers Wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Atomik Carbon Fat Rim.....Testers Wanted

I spoke to our engineer tonight and we should have a few samples of our Carbon Fat Rims ready for testing in early October. The rim is a 85mm, single wall ( kind of) , sub 500 gram rim. The drilling is offset and will be optimized for a 190mm axle length.

Anyone care to check out our Facebook page will understand why I indicated ( kind of ). The design is like a single wall, but the floor of the rim has 2 layers that is filled with a type of foam used in the aerospace industry.

Since we are based in Florida, I will need to get some feedback on these from riders up north. I have a couple of OEM brands testing them as well this winter, but the more feedback and miles logged the better. Testers will have to log how many miles they ride, terrain they subject them to, pressure they have in tires, etc....for our database.

Wheels will be built with Hope Hubs and tires of your choice....

Anyone interested can contact us at [email protected]

Thank You.

mtbr member
    Wow....go to bed and wake up 6 hours later and the mailbox is full....so I will leave this invitation open till 6:00 PM, US Eastern Time. We got some really good entries and I don't want to have to sift through too much entries. I have decided to bring in around 6 sets to test world wide.....You will have to create a log and "experienced" riders will have a slight advantage.

God Luck Everyone.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Just emailed you. Get them up here before the snow starts.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Just curious on your foam core: is it the variety that adds stiffness by way of giving the carbon less chance to deform toward a cavity, or the kind that does a lot of one-time expansion in order to compress carbon inside a mold where it is nigh impossible to insert an inflation bladder neck? The latter being like how Race Face makes their hollow carbon cranks, if I'm guessing correctly? If so where does one buy that stuff? I've read about it in patents and it seems to behave similar in processing to prepreg carbon fiber itself... It looks like fun and I totally want some.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    You had me until offset ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    And if there is now 1 set to Belgium was coming ... ... There are still 5 ....

Then I can drive it in may 1200 km to Santiago the Compostella....

I hope with hope ;-)

mtbr member
    WOW !!! What an incredible response....We received requests from 4 Iditarod Trail Invitational Contestants, 7 Category 1 racers, tons of 250+ pound guys, guys that ride in the Outback, guys that ride in the Alaskan Yukon. The responses came from 15 countries.

Now the hard part begins, selecting 12 people...consisting of 6 finalists and 6 alternates. Once the finalists are approved and everyone is in agreement as to what is expected, the alternates will be dropped. Finalists will also be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

We are looking for qualitative and quantitative reviews. We will select finalist based on a cross section of reviews we are looking for. Reviewers are expected to log everything from the date, miles, pressure, type of terrain, etc. Wheels will be identical build...same spoke, nipples, tension, etc.

For the people that were not selected, we would like to send you all a token of appreciation.....does not matter which part of the world you live, we will find you. Please send another email with your names, addresses and telephone numbers. We have also decided that you will be able to purchase a pair of rims from our first shipment at 25% off retail. This will have a time limit since we strongly support the Independent Bike Shops and will not be able to offer this deal once we start shipping to them.

We have not yet set the retail price because we are still getting shipping quotes....my feeling is that it will not be more than $1,200 per pair retail.

Selected finalists will be able to purchase wheel sets for $600 after they have been reviewed.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond,

Wayne Lee
    Atomik Carbon
    Last edited by Atomik Carbon; 09-21-2014 at 09:43 PM.

nothing to see here
    Got any pics of the rim profile?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    <--- Waits for Nextie and Derby forum members to start advertising in this thread.

Cuz you deserve it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When you have a 65mm version that I can use on my Bucksaw I will gladly test those for you. You would save onb shipping as I am in Tampa as well.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    WOW !!! What an incredible response....We received requests from 4 Iditarod Trail Invitational Contestants, 7 Category 1 racers, tons of 250+ pound guys, guys that ride in the Outback, guys that ride in the Alaskan Yukon. The responses came from 15 countries.

Now the hard part begins, selecting 12 people...consisting of 6 finalists and 6 alternates. Once the finalists are approved and everyone is in agreement as to what is expected, the alternates will be dropped. Finalists will also be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

We are looking for qualitative and quantitative reviews. We will select finalist based on a cross section of reviews we are looking for. Reviewers are expected to log everything from the date, miles, pressure, type of terrain, etc. Wheels will be identical build...same spoke, nipples, tension, etc.

For the people that were not selected, we would like to send you all a token of appreciation.....does not matter which part of the world you live, we will find you. Please send another email with your names, addresses and telephone numbers. We have also decided that you will be able to purchase a pair of rims from our first shipment at 25% off retail. This will have a time limit since we strongly support the Independent Bike Shops and will not be able to offer this deal once we start shipping to them.

We have not yet set the retail price because we are still getting shipping quotes....my feeling is that it will not be more than $1,200 per pair retail.

Selected finalists will be able to purchase wheel sets for $600 after they have been reviewed.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond,

Wayne Lee
    Atomik Carbon
    And when when will be the happy winners be announcend??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoezo View Post
    And when when will be the happy winners be announcend??
    Coming....if you only knew how many people submitted requests.....going through one by one..

Thanks Again, everyone that submitted, we really received some hard core riders, just what we were hoping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    Coming....if you only knew how many people submitted requests.....going through one by one..

Thanks Again, everyone that submitted, we really received some hard core riders, just what we were hoping.
    Really like the fact that you came on here and sought out some testers, even better if one or more are known by most of us.

mtbr member
    For us international clients...where can we order your rims?