Asymmetric Fat bike rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Asymmetric Fat bike rims

Is there any Asymmetric fat bike rims available? Alu or Carbon.

I have a WTB Asym i29 rims on my 29er and I was thinking why not asym for fat bike too?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    You probably don't need them.

your 29er has offset rims, because with the narrow hub spacing of 135, the hub shell gets shoved to the left to make room for all your gears. so offsetting the rim to cancel that out is beneficial.

with a fat bike 170-190 hub spacing, there's plenty of room for your gears without having to push the hub shell off center. the wheels are pretty symmetric and don't benefit from offset rims.

Surly makes double spoke holes on their rims so offset lacing is an option

but that's for a Different reason than your 29er wheels.
    Some older fat bikes (Pugsley) have a rear triangle that is actually offset -the frame is not symmetrical- to make chain clearance around the fat tires
    and in that situation the rims need to offset the other direction.
    newer fat bikes are moving away from this design though; it probably doesn't apply to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for your answer.

I mean that when lacing a asymmetrical rim for 29er with boost 148 hub for example, there is almost equal spoke tension for both sides. When I lace 170 or 190 OLD hubs to symmetrical fatbike rims, there is no equal spoke tension because the rim needs dishing. Asymmetrical rim does not need dishing by spoke tension.

So I was thinking why fatbike wheels would not benefit from a asymmetrical rims? I am not talking about old pugsley style 135 OLD offset rear ends. I mean 170 or 190 OLD rear end fatbikes.

turtles make me hot
    I've built tons of 170 and 190mm wheels with all different width rims and have yet to have one come back to me because of spoke tension issues. My own wheels would be the acid test because I ride my bike on trails and I'm big and heavy. I just cracked a frame and have no problems with my 190mm wheels.
    You're looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Maybe you are right, but could asymmetric rims in fatbikes still be better in any way than a regular symmetric ones?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Maybe a little better spoke lifespan?
    but consider that the tension/dish imbalance on a fat wheel is comparable -if not even better- than a normal MTB wheel
    and those have been doing just fine for the last 40years
    with asymmetric rims being a minority for niche situations -like cramming 10speeds into a 130OLD spacing.

so if you want to go the extra mile, you're welcome to it, but doing so will severely limit your rim selection as they're Not Common -possibly trading for other factors that are more relevant.

the only asymmetric fat rim I know of, is the Bontrager Jackalope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Asymmetric rim out number symmetric rims in every discipline of biking, including standard mtb's.

You don't hear about tension imbalance being a big deal really ever.

Solution for a problem that is 'nearly' nonexistent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

I did not think that there was a problem with current symmetric rims for fatbiking, but still I wanted to get more info from a possibility of usage and availability of asymmetric rims.

Thanks!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Asymmetric rim out number symmetric rims in every discipline of biking, including standard mtb's.

Not even close. I'd say it's more like 90 out of every 100 are symmetric, going back the last decade+.

You don't hear about tension imbalance being a big deal really ever.

Except if you do this for a living, and then you know that tension balance is everything.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    I do it for a living, and while a well built wheel doe indeed matter, the whole asym thing is a tempest in a tea cup created by engineers who need something to obsess about so they can create new products, or they won't get paid.

Can I sell you some suspenders for your underwear? I can't believe you've lived this long without them. Or perhaps a drier lint preventative?

Were wheels exploding all over the place unless asymmetrically built, I might lend it some credence. But they don't, nor did they before the asym silliness.

But again, not to besmirch Mikes comment, a well built wheel is incredibly important. He builds plenty that aren't asymmetrical too, and they hold up great too, just like mine do, just like all the asym wheels we build as well.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mike, you'll have to believe me when I say that the first part of my post was a typo!

I absolutely agree that symmetric rims outnumber asymmetric by far and is what I was trying to convey.

And what I mean by tension imbalance, is the difference in tension between drive and non-drive side, per what xenologer above posted referring to "tension/dish imbalance", not imbalanced tension on a single side.

This place needs an enema
    Mike, you'll have to believe me when I say that the first part of my post was a typo!

I absolutely agree that symmetric rims outnumber asymmetric by far and is what I was trying to convey.

And what I mean by tension imbalance, is the difference in tension between drive and non-drive side, per what xenologer above posted referring to "tension/dish imbalance", not imbalanced tension on a single side.

OK -- thanks for clarifying.