Apparently, fat bikes arn't ment for the following...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    trials
    FWIW, I can pedal kick a Mukluk.
    adam • michigan • karate monkey

Dirt Huffer

Apparently, fat bikes arn't ment for the following...

Racing, trail riding, bmx, trials and the list goes on. People keep making statements about what is and isn't fat worthy.

Can people just take their opinion of what fat bikes should and shouldn't be and stick it up their ass?

nvphatty
    Racing, trail riding, bmx, trials and the list goes on. People keep making statements about what is and isn't fat worthy.

Can people just take their opinion of what fat bikes should and shouldn't be and stick it up their ass?
    I tend to agree, it certainly seems as though the long time fat riders get their nose outta joint over people making use of them in endless conditions. Guess what it's a bike therefor ridden where one chooses just like MTB are, cross bikes are etc, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    if you can backflip a carbon road bike. anything is possible. dont deny possibility at the door.

A Surly Maverick
    Fatbike = a bike

Use it for what you wish and enjoy
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I tend to agree, it certainly seems as though the long time fat riders get their nose outta joint over people making use of them in endless conditions. Guess what it's a bike therefor ridden where one chooses just like MTB are, cross bikes are etc, etc.
    There are a lot of long time fatbike riders that use them for everything. Careful when you make generalizations. I am also amazed at the recent trend of purpose builders for trail riding that say the original bikes are total dogs on anything but snow and sand. I have a first generation Fatback and I love to ride it summer and winter, twisty or not. I do switch to 47 mm rims in the summer unless a long beach ride is in the offing. I guess I'm not much into pavement on it but that's about it.
    Latitude 61

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    There are a lot of long time fatbike riders that use them for everything. Careful when you make generalizations. I am also amazed at the recent trend of purpose builders for trail riding that say the original bikes are total dogs on anything but snow and sand. I have a first generation Fatback and I love to ride it summer and winter, twisty or not. I do switch to 47 mm rims in the summer unless a long beach ride is in the offing. I guess I'm not much into pavement on it but that's about it.
    Yes i'm sure there are and that only promotes them further. There's always exceptions to the norm and i'm sure there's others besides yourself making use of them all around

mtbr member
    Blog | Surly Bikes

Some answers to just about any bike forum post I’ve ever read

Thursday, June 16, 2011

posted by Skip Bernet

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames - so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by *******s in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind *******s on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like ****. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever you’re riding on. You should thank them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

OK, I stuck it up there. It hurts, but feels kinda good, too.

Now what?

mtbr member
    I`m a `long term` fat biker who uses my pugsley for all types of riding, even places it is not better than other bikes in my stable, but i enjoy riding it,

It puts my nose out of joint when folk say pugsleys steer like oil tankers etc... compared to far more exotic fat bikes..., let the bike do the talking
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Geordie biker
    i have been getting some wierd looks (nothing abnormal when riding a fatbike) when out doing daily cardio along busy riverside cycle routes the past 2 weeks, im doing it in total comfort and at the same speed as my hybrid bike. i dont care, i must be nuts!
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    90% rider 10% bike, thats all have to say

mtbr member
    My motto is any bike anywhere.

The fatbike is best at that anywhere stuff
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cola was ment to be a medicine, now its making half of the world sick,...

I don't mind that there are people that only use their fatbike on places where a normal bike can't come, but for me the sandman is a "ride anywhere" bike, a real ATB:ALL terrain bike.

A mountainbike can ride on the road and on the trails, but a roadrace bike is faster on the road, does that mean you can't ride a mountainbike on the road?

A fatbike is not the fastest roadbike in most cases, and on the trail you have a weight penalty but it is big fun and there are big advantages as well, so why not?
    Downhill is not always faster as short fast turns are hard but the big tires are verry forgiving and you have tons of grip, so why not?
    Dirt: a 20" bmx is more agile, and there are lighter bikes that allow more tricks but still it is fun and if you land wrong there is a big chance of recuperating,...

Fatbikes are not allowed on cyclocross races as tires are restricted to 33 mm or so, so that's a bummer, and I doubt that there are UCI approved road racing fatbikes so official road racing wil be out of the question as well.

mtbr member
    Just say ok put that S eating grin back on your face and pedal off. You know they are just talking themselves out of one.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post

Now what?
    lol! That's funny!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

mtbr member

Mine seems to race just fine.

Karma Vampire
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    Fatbikes are not allowed on cyclocross races as tires are restricted to 33 mm or so, so that's a bummer...
    Around my thick neck of the woods, the tire size limit is only "enforced" for Cat 1. At my one and only CX race in 2011, I ran 2.35 inch rubber. Nobody said anything. I did get peanut gallery comments about my MTB. This fall, same race, yeah, I will consider the fatbike just to pissoff the gallery.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Again View Post
    Around my thick neck of the woods, the tire size limit is only "enforced" for Cat 1. At my one and only CX race in 2011, I ran 2.35 inch rubber. Nobody said anything. I did get peanut gallery comments about my MTB. This fall, same race, yeah, I will consider the fatbike just to pissoff the gallery.
    Run some drop bars if you do
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I just finished up our first "Thursday night group ride" for this year. The Mukluk kept pace just fine and I'm certain there were sections of trail that I was actually faster on. It corners great and climbs very good. I will be riding this bike a lot this spring/summer/fall and I am actually considering putting front suspension on it.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post

Now what?
    Very funny

Why have another bike, it's obvious a fat bike is the best at everything

We still need to try to educate potential fat bike owners so hopefully they make the right choice and won't be disappointed with it's performance.

BTW, I am on my 3rd fat bike and loving it!!

Edit: When I was new to fat bikes I had this attitude that they can do all and believe me I have done most everything with mine and will continue too do so. Just those few threads of people being very disappointed as well as the number of used fat bikes for sale in the classifieds has me rethinking my approach to blowing smoke up peoples a$$es about fat bikes.
    Last edited by bdundee; 03-29-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Really I am that slow

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QsogswrH6ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bdundee, for me there is a difference between a bike that is not ment for something and a bike that is the best at everything.
    A bike is always a compromise! what people want to say here is that you CAN do other things with the fatbike, and it is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 29Again View Post
    I don't know the rules in CX that well, it would be cool to see a fatbike in a CX from time to time, but if I look at the Belgian CX tracks, the chance of having a better result with a fatbike than a cx racer is rather limited!

In competition acceleration counts really hard, the first one can shut the door, it 's not because you can ride a stretch on training and the others can't that they'll let you ride it!

mtbr member
    We just need someone to win the Tour de France on a fatbike. Maybe Surly could sponsor a team.

The team would just need some really good undetectable performance enhancing "vitamins"...

I think we'd be deluded to think fatbikes are best at anything except their supremacy on soft surfaces, but my experience is that they are surprisingly good at other things too because we can change the tyres to suit. If you think trail bike for going places rather than race purpose xc/dh bike it's hard to go past a fatbike.

Weight is the only real holdback, and with rims getting lighter, and tubeless a possibility, then we're looking at wheel weights close to a normal mtb.

I also think you can get a competent road bike out of a fatbike by using Black Floyds - you won't win your local TT or star in the peleton, but you can put in a respectable days mileage.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

This place needs an enema

So if I'm understanding you right, you want people to be a little more open minded, but you yourself can't be expected to behave as such?

P.S. Nice 'tude.

Witty McWitterson
    mine races just fine, thankyouverymuch.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Since we got our Fatbikes I have not been back on the other bikes even once. We ride them on the street every morning, and hit the beach if the tide is low. Which reminds me... it's 7:26am here in the Panhandle of FL. Time to ride!!!!!

mtbr member
    I commute normally on an 86 Norco "Mountain Bike" which has wire bead 2.35 slicks. The thing weighs almost 1.5 times my Pugsley (which is only a few weeks old to me)

So far I have commuted on a fatbike, ran single track in town, mudbogged, ran single track out of town, biked through hoodoos and other geological formations, biked in freak snow storms...and wheelied as much as possible.

My commute usually takes me past the typical array of lycra sporting speed freaks and weight weenies. Although they usually pass me on my Norco (which I have affectionately names "Destructor"), I almost always take them on the hills. I have had no problems keeping up with friends on XC and DH bikes in varying situations. Some drops are a little precarious and ill-advised without suspension, but aside from the death-defying drops which I have no interest in, there has been nothing that my puglsey can't do.

But as the general theme of this thread seems to echo: A bike is a bike and you do what you want with it. I think that's the coolest part about the fatbike, is that it's spawned a generation of cyclists who ride when/how/what they Want to ride, and not what other people tell them they should do.

Besides, all my friends think my bike is cooooool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    got the cheapest one i could find just to try it out love to dirt jump always manage to bend rims i figure i will see how long a fat wheel would last i didnt care about weight have no problem throughing dirt bike around well anyways i like it failed on some 360's not adjusted to bike yet plus i only land 1 out of 5 with my real bike abuse it beat it up rims have'nt bent yet the bike is solid and with the fat tires if i come up short on 3 rims hold up and i can still turn out of it and ride to the next 8 ft jump the point they seem to be and all around bike for any rider especially amatures who are sick of replaceing rims

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam View Post
    FWIW, I can pedal kick a Mukluk.

Yup, same for me with my old friend "mr pugsly"....
    see linkie

mtbr member
    Just last week, I decided to try my commute on my Pugsley, instead of my road bike. I was bewildered because my avg. speed was 15.6, vs. 13.2 on my Straggler, and I spent more time in 44/11. I guess the bigger tires allow me to pedal more consistently over the rough roads, and I don't have to dodge potholes. The Straggler is at least 8 pounds lighter, but the Pugs is faster. Go figure.

All fat, all the time.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    Yup, same for me with my old friend "mr pugsly"....
    see linkie

mtbr member
    Thats garbage. They work for anything. Its a freaking bike.

I do cardio on pavement every morning. Trails in the weekend. Its pretty much my go to bike now. Havent taken out the road bike since.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Just last week, I decided to try my commute on my Pugsley, instead of my road bike. I was bewildered because my avg. speed was 15.6, vs. 13.2 on my Straggler, and I spent more time in 44/11. I guess the bigger tires allow me to pedal more consistently over the rough roads, and I don't have to dodge potholes. The Straggler is at least 8 pounds lighter, but the Pugs is faster. Go figure.
    It's true, I won the Indy 500 on my fatbike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Fat & Single
    BTW Jericho83 spammed up a 3yr old thread without any punctuation or direction. I gave him a red square for his nastiness.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    BTW Jericho83 spammed up a 3yr old thread

The positive was however that RightCoaster posted his great little film!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ha ha ha... thanks guys! I did not realize it was an old thread.....

Members who have read this thread: 0