mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Anyone using rechargeable li ion insoles?

Even with good boots my feet still get cold. Anyone try Verseo Thermo Soles? or something similar?
    Boz

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have you tried vapor barrier socks?

Have you tried making an insulated insole out of Reflectix (a mylar bubble wrap with an R value of 12)?

jbn
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've used the Grabber insoles and they sometimes work well and sometimes not at all. The thing that makes the biggest difference for me seems to be the tightness of my boot. If I can't slip the boot on and off easily my foot is going to freeze. Doesn't seem to matter how cold it is outside or how warm it is inside my boot. I've tried layering socks in an oversized boot and even the tightness of the layered socks makes a difference. I am sure my problem goes back to those outdoor below zero hockey practices with super tight skates.
    I guess if I were you I'd try loosening things up in the footwear department before I spent the money on heated insoles.

Dog is my co-pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by bozofs
    Even with good boots my feet still get cold. Anyone try Verseo Thermo Soles? or something similar?
    Boz
    The problem with using thermo soles is if your the only one in your group using them you have to endure listening to the rest of the group whine about their little tootsies being cold!
    race bicycles not dogs

mtbr member
    I have some Lake MXZ winter riding shoes that work very well. I bought them 2 sizes too large and use two layers of socks. Never spent hours in below zero weather but for a 2-3 hour ride in 10 to 20F riding they work great.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Been thinking of trying. My current setup is very comfortable to walk around in down to -10F (haven't had opportunity to test below that), but the bike tends to suck the heat out. I had to wait for a race to start the other day, and had one foot on the ground, and one on a pedal. The bike foot got colder after maybe 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thermo Soles

I have been using the Thermo Soles for about 6 weeks and so far, so good. They only last about 2-2.5 hours in the conditions I have been riding in (avg ~10 F) but when they are on, they keep things very toasty inside my Lake boots.

What remains to be seen is how long they last. I split buying 2 with my friend so they were $75 per pair, and you can buy ~50-75 heater packets for the same price. That said, I use them on EVERY ride now regardless of length whereas before I would only open the foot warmer packets for rides longer than about 1.5-2 hours.

BTW, the other guy who bought them has had a similar experience regarding time and warmth.

Members who have read this thread: 0