Anyone use the...- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

Anyone use the...

Keen Summit County boot below zero for any amount of time?

I have used the Keen Winterport II combined with vapor barrier sock and it is a good warm combo. The Summits have a little less fill (400 vs 300 with 600 vs 450 at the toe) and slimmer profile that might be better on the pedals. So has anyone used the Summits in an endurance race or at sub zero for long rides? Will they be warm enough?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i have yet to use mine in an endurance race, but fatbiking and snowshoeing in them here in wisconsin for the past 3 years in below freezing temps for long periods of time and they are great! They are also pretty well waterproofed! Im always dry!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have. Been out on the Pug in MN at -15F (and lower for some shorter rides) for a couple hours and they worked fine for me.
    I am ridic.

mtbr member
    I wear Keen sandals in winter for wet and slushy riding.

My theory is that no matter what boot you wear, you're going to get water over the top if you ride anywhere interesting. The sandal lets the water flow out so it doesn't freeze.

Of course I use high waterproof socks (SealSkinzs with an appropriate liner sock).

The lowest temp they're likely to see is -20C, but a lot of riding here in the Highlands is going to be on the borderline of freezing ( -5 to 2C), so it's wet that has to be avoided. The colder days are pleasanter and I just wear walking boots.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I took them out on an overnight ride at -28C last year. I was out in the cold for about 10 hours of about 50/50% pushing/riding, including a stretch of fresh overflow. In the morning it warmed up above -20C and so it was less of a concern. The fabric on mine has worn out between the leather bands, so they are probably not as waterproof as they used to be. I haven't had any issue with them being warm enough, but I haven't been overly impressed with the longevity. I do find them really comfortable for riding and they beat the Lake cycling boots I have for warmth and for walking.
    I am seriously considering Steger mukluks as my next winter biking boot. They weigh the same as the keens and have a good reputation for longevity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like my keen spd sandals -- in the summer or spring and fall with socks. I've also got Northwave and Lake winter boots that are ok to below zero F. When it gets colder, I'll make the switch to platforms with oversize 5-10 high-top Impacts with a coupa pairs of wool and/or a neoprene sock. I miss the clip-ins though. I think an overstuffed Keen Wintersport-type boot with an spd sole for teeth-numbing temps like we have here in North Dakota would be nice. Anybody from keen lurking here?

Ologist
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been using Lakes and the Winterports depending on conditions for the last few years. The Lakes I can squeeze in a couple in of hours sub zero Fahrenheit with overboots and I haven't any any issues with the winterports save they are not overly durable (and somewhat bulky?). I am going to the Summits with my RBH liners a shot for long distance rides this winter

Members who have read this thread: 0