Anyone run 29'ers on their fatbikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone run 29'ers on their fatbikes?

I'm considering of getting a fatbike. I understand that theoretically, you can put 29er wheels. Have any of you successfully done it? Any issues, like gear restrictions? Like big cog (front) and maybe 2nd or 3rd big cog (rear), or else it starts making noise?
    Last edited by ecub; 11-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I'm considering of getting a fatbike. I understand that theoretically, you can put 29er wheels. Have any of you successfully done it? Any issues, like gear restrictions? Like big cog (front) and maybe 2nd or 3rd big cog (rear), or else it starts making noise?
    - 29ers on a 170mm fatbike are no problem except you need a 170mm hub [Mukluk]
    - 135mm 17.5mm offset builds a poor 29er rear wheel [Pugs]
    - 135mm 28mm offset doesn't work with a 29er rear wheel [Moonlander]

A 29er tire is so skinny compared to a 3.7"-4.7" tire you aren't going to have any drivetrain restrictions.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

I ride 29ers all the time in my Pugs and in fact have 29er Snocats/Studded tires on it right now. I didn't bother with the 17.5 off-set since I pulled them off my KM. The wheel isn't centered in the frame but it rides just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Milton Ramos particpated in this years' Ruta de los Conquistadores on a Sandman (which has a symmetrical frame around a 165mm rear hub).
    He finished 2nd (!) in the first stage and 6th overall after 4 days running on a mix of 29"ers and fat wheels.

Here he is on fat wheels:

La Ruta De Los Conquistadores 2011: Milton Ramos , Photos | Cyclingnews.com

And here on the 29"ers:

La Ruta De Los Conquistadores 2011: Milton Ramos (number 34) Talks To Teammates Of Eventual..., Photos | Cyclingnews.com

His 2nd place right behind Todd Wells was on 29"ers.

Black Sheep rising

Click for more pics
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Sup
    surly needs to roll a marge lite in the 29er size
    just sayin

SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    ...I didn't bother with the 17.5 off-set since I pulled them off my KM. The wheel isn't centered in the frame but it rides just fine.
    Interesting, since both wheels are in line it must be compensatable. Does the bike ride straight no-hands? What did you do about the front brake?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was going to build 29er wheels for my Pugsley, until I realized how much fun I have riding the Large Marges on very technical rocky/rooty terrain. That plus it seemed a pain to source all the parts and stuff. With the Nate especially, holy heck it's fun. No need for me to build 29er wheels anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    I ride 29ers all the time in my Pugs and in fact have 29er Snocats/Studded tires on it right now. I didn't bother with the 17.5 off-set since I pulled them off my KM. The wheel isn't centered in the frame but it rides just fine.
    Joe Cruz did the same thing as a test:

Pugsley wheel experiments | Pedaling in Place
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Swiss army knife of bikes

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I have a 907 symetrical rear Ti Fatbike. I run Stans Flow rim with WTB exiwolves in the summer. Love it. My Fatbike has become the bike I ride almost exclusively now. The Blur LT is way upset with me....... Go for it! you will not be disappointed....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I was going to build 29er wheels for my Pugsley, until I realized how much fun I have riding the Large Marges on very technical rocky/rooty terrain. That plus it seemed a pain to source all the parts and stuff. With the Nate especially, holy heck it's fun. No need for me to build 29er wheels anymore.
    I've got a set of 29er wheels made up for my Pug when I bought it and to be honest they've been collecting dust for quite a while now, fat = FUN!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

strait enuff

Pursuiter,

My Pug rides straight enough with 29er/no 17.5 off-set, and I can ride with no hands. I use 29" studded Nokians for a big part of the winter and fatties for the rest of the year.
    I use disc brakes fr/rear.

I agree with most that the fatties are great year-round fun tires and 29ers are not needed unless you need studs in winter. Pugs is designed around Endomorphs, which happen to stand 29" tall, so you need 29er wheels to maintain geometry when you go to narrower rims/rubber.

P

Lighten up.
    29'er set, built by Speedway with US Hadley hubs, for my ti' Fatback:

Granted...they don't see much action compared to the fatties, but they've been VERY nice to have on a few occasions this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    it might depend on the build, i have been running velocity blunt 29ers on my pugs for a year and they have been bomber touring mtb and what ever