Anyone here: Fat 29er wheel set from BikesDirect.com- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Anyone here: Fat 29er wheel set from BikesDirect.com

Has anyone here bought and used this wheel set from bikes direct?
    PAIR of 29er FatBike WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible Wheels
    + FREE Tires: Maxxis MINION 29x2.4" Folding Tires
    Yes, sold and shipped in pairs. (Front+Rear Wheel)

FR/RR Tires: Minion DHR II, 29 x 2.4" , Foldable, 60tpi, 3C/EXO/TR , Black W/WHITE LOGO
    (0.87mm) 29x2.4/2.8" INNER TUBES W/FV
    RIMS: WTB TCS 2.0 11mm Rim Strip, 29" Red JN, Circular hole fits PV and SV
    ST i29 TCS 2.0 29" , 32 hole drilling, Disc Only, Black Anodized; PV drilled, Pinned Join
    SPOKES: 14Gx64PCS STAINLESS XD-BLACK W/14MM BRASS SILVER NIPPLE
    HUBS: D201SB-15 ALLOY FRONT DISC HUB ( QR/9/15mm 3 IN ONE ) 32H, OL:15mmx150mm FOR FAT BIKE , 2 PRECISION BEARINGS D202SB-X12MM-S4S-10/11S ALLOY REAR DISC HUB ( QR/10/12/X12mm 4 IN ONE )
    Freehub Type Regular Shimano/SRAM (10/11sp) or XD (SRAM 1X) Driver
    32H.OL:12x197MM CRMO AXLE , 4 PRECISION BEARINGS, 2RS POLISH ANOD. BLACK
    TYPE 1-QR ADAPTER L:200mm W/10mm HUB CRMO AXLE & SIDE CAP ( BLK ) W/QUICK RELEASE
    EXTRA QR270R ( 5mm ) ALLOY BLK LEVER & NUT , CRMO AXLE L: 207mm FOR O.L.N.: 190mm

I am interested in this for mainly road riding....
    Anyone have any experience with it?
    Let me know.
    Thanks

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    If it's like any and every other BD product, it will underwhelm you with it's quality, durability, functionality, and basically every other "bility" out there.

Penny wise and pound foolish is the phrase that comes to mind.

Go to your local bike shop, better yet, save the time and call.

"Do you build wheels?".

If yes, engage them. If not, there are plenty of on line places to get wheels built.

Wheels are not something to go budget basement with, unless you like burning cash without compensation.

Well built, and spec'd to your needs? They'll make you smile for thousands of miles.

Or, buy BD landfill fodder, replace the hubs and garbage spokes, keep the rims and tires, and ponder why you ended up spending more than if you'd just built good wheels in the first place.

Yes, my bias is showing, and BD et al, deserve to be called out for selling garbage, it's wasteful and insulting to the planet we all have to live on.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As per usual, Craig nails it on the head.

And I'm totally associating BD with landfill fodder from now on.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

turtles make me hot
    Like they said... Friends don't let friends buy crappy wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'd say it depends some on you, your riding style, and how you're planning to use them. I have a couple thousand miles on the novatec/mulefut wheelset that came on my fatbike from BikesDirect. The spokes are cheap as stated above.

I've had a fine experience with the novatec hubs. Front hubs are pretty simple. Keep the rear non-driveside endcap tight and you could be fine. I only weigh about 160lbs max geared up so I'm not a clyde. I'm not the smoothest pedaler and will slam the pawls fairly often. I built up a 29+ wheelset for my fatbike last spring and put 288 miles on those with no problems. Then I built up some carbon rims with another set of novatec fat hubs this past winter and put 408 miles on them without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If it's like any and every other BD product, it will underwhelm you with it's quality, durability, functionality, and basically every other "bility" out there.

Penny wise and pound foolish is the phrase that comes to mind.

Go to your local bike shop, better yet, save the time and call.

"Do you build wheels?".

If yes, engage them. If not, there are plenty of on line places to get wheels built.

Wheels are not something to go budget basement with, unless you like burning cash without compensation.

Well built, and spec'd to your needs? They'll make you smile for thousands of miles.

Or, buy BD landfill fodder, replace the hubs and garbage spokes, keep the rims and tires, and ponder why you ended up spending more than if you'd just built good wheels in the first place.

Yes, my bias is showing, and BD et al, deserve to be called out for selling garbage, it's wasteful and insulting to the planet we all have to live on.

Let me know.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I'd say it depends some on you, your riding style, and how you're planning to use them. I have a couple thousand miles on the novatec/mulefut wheelset that came on my fatbike from BikesDirect. The spokes are cheap as stated above.

I've had a fine experience with the novatec hubs. Front hubs are pretty simple. Keep the rear non-driveside endcap tight and you could be fine. I only weigh about 160lbs max geared up so I'm not a clyde. I'm not the smoothest pedaler and will slam the pawls fairly often. I built up a 29+ wheelset for my fatbike last spring and put 288 miles on those with no problems. Then I built up some carbon rims with another set of novatec fat hubs this past winter and put 408 miles on them without issue.

Yeah I have the Motobecane Sturgis Ti. I recently had my rear hub replaced with a BITEX in BLUE. I got it done at Seagreen in Lewes DE. I live in Southern NJ and took the ferry over. It was a costly adventure but they did a great job. The Novatec hub never failed me. However, it would let out a "POP" every once in a while. I have taken it apart and greased the paws and such. I had over 1300 miles on it and have had it since 2015. I still have the hub and was either going to sell it or build up a 29 wheel set up with it. But before I did that I thought I would get some feedback on the above said wheelset from actual owners. Besides the SRAM Guide brakes seizing up a few summers ago and the Race face bottom bracket being replaced with a Phil Wood, the bike has been rock solid. A beautiful titanium frame. Just getting back into riding daily since the corona virus. Really loving my bike.
    Last edited by tankhead10; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tankhead10 View Post
    Yeah I have the Motobecane Sturgis Ti. I recently had my rear hub replaced. I got it done at Seagreen in Lewes DE. I live in Southern NJ and took the ferry over. It as a costly adventure but they did a great job. The Novatec hub never failed me. However, it would let out a "POP" every once in a while. I have over 1300 miles on it and have had it since 2015. I still have the hub and was either going to sell it or build up a 29 wheel set up with it. But before I did that I thought I would get some feedback on the above said wheelset from actual owners. Besides the SRAM Guide brakes seizing up a few summers ago and the Race face bottom bracket being replaced with a Phil Wood, the bike has been rock solid. A beautiful titanium frame. Just getting back into riding daily since the corona virus. Really loving my bike.
    As usual, when you ask a simple question if someone really has had any experience, you can figure on getting replies bashing products. Usually the person who posted really wants real life experience with that product.

It's a simple request.

BTW never buy an Edsel.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tankhead10 View Post
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    No, but I looked into them... And ran away when I got to Novatec. I was ideally looking for 29+ for trails, but did have a Novatec rear fail in 400 miles on my other FS bike and it was an expensive swap to DT Swiss.

Personally I wouldn't buy that hub again. I'm 175-180lbs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    As per usual, Craig nails it on the head.

And I'm totally associating BD with landfill fodder from now on.
    And I thought you would call it Walmart Direct!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    BTW never buy an Edsel.

Or a Corvair.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have had good luck with Bikes Direct but that does not mean everyone will. I bought this wheelset and have about 2,000 miles on them now. I have the Mulefut fat set as well and have about 6,000 miles on them. No problems so far.
    BD Titanium Night Train Bullet with 52 volt Bafang BBSHD mid drive. Me and the bike weighs about 275 lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Or a Corvair.
    Was going to list Corvair, but didn't want the whippersnappers snapping their heads. Had a friend that had a Corvair, and yes the stories were real.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Was going to list Corvair, but didn't want the whippersnappers snapping their heads. Had a friend that had a Corvair, and yes the stories were real.

Haven't been in one in ~30 years and I can still smell the fumes.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Look up the Corvair UltraVan.

You're in for a treat.

As to "have I used them"? No. But as a one man shop, who does a ton of fat bikes, and has been building wheels for 30+ years, I see a lot of BD garbage wander through the door in need of help for all manner of junk product type issues, so while my personal butt time is not in the mix, my professional experiences with them, are why I say what I do.

Who cares if they ride great" for a couple hundred miles? Every Magna, Pacific, Kent, etc, will do the same, assuming Frank from the lawn mower department actually tightened the pedals, put the fork facing the correct direction and adjusted the derailleurs.

But when they stop working before a traditionally expected amount of time, and you have zero recourse, no product support, spokes are snapping like popcorn and the hub flange has cracked?

Those pennies that got saved are going to look pretty insignificant.

Spend more, buy it once, support your LOCAL economy, and enjoy a better experience along the way....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    I have had good luck with Bikes Direct but that does not mean everyone will. I bought this wheelset and have about 2,000 miles on them now. I have the Mulefut fat set as well and have about 6,000 miles on them. No problems so far.
    BD Titanium Night Train Bullet with 52 volt Bafang BBSHD mid drive. Me and the bike weighs about 275 lb
    Thanks for the insight. I do appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    ""Who cares if they ride great" for a couple hundred miles? Every Magna, Pacific, Kent, etc, will do the same, assuming Frank from the lawn mower department actually tightened the pedals, put the fork facing the correct direction and adjusted the derailleurs.""""

LOL

The parts specs are maintenance parts from mid range SRAM, Ritchey, WTB, KMC, Oh yeah and a $600.00 rock shox fork and a titanium frame from ORA engineering. ALL for $2000.00. I call that a smart buy.

Do you sell bikes with parts from these manufacturers in your shop? I bet you do. You probably have rows of SRAM, WTB, and KMC parts strung everywhere in your shop.

Do you encourage your customers to keep their chains, chainrings, brake pads and derailuers forever?? Or do you change them out for customers so you can keep the income flowing? RIGHT. Maintenance parts need to be replaced.
    I put on my own pedals because it did not come with them, installed the fork, stem, and handelbars and the SRAM der. has been perfect since I bought it. I have been building bikes up and down since I was 12 years old racing BMX. Used to race MTB and would replace all the parts no problem. Just don't trust my wheel building. LOL

I also recently paid for a wheel rebuild at a different state and spent $80.00 on a ferry ride to get there because I was not happy with the rear hub's performance (after 5 years of ownership).

You are the same guy who berated me 5 years ago when my local bike shop sold me a brand new Specialized Fat boy that I ordered with touched up scratches all over the frame, wheels, and seatpost and had the headset installed upside down on the fork from the factory. Now that sounds more like "Every Magna, Pacific, Kent, etc,"assuming Frank from the lawn mower department actually tightened the pedals, put the fork facing the correct direction and adjusted the derailleurs.
    All from a highly respected and local shop... I picked it up as the shop was closing but I returned it the next morning, got my $1300.00 back, bought this bike and never looked back.

Again I wanted to hear from people who HAVE used it. And you're a moderator no less. Thanks anyway.. Please stop posting on a thread that doesn't pertain to you.

Here is the build up for my bike right from the website of BD 5 years ago.

Frame Motobecane FAT BIKE FRAME D.B. TITANIUM ( 3AI 2.5V ), Tapered HEAD TUBE: TITANIUM 1-1/8"/1.5" ( 50x44/62x55.95mm ), L:39/45/48/53CM=110/120/135/150mm, B.B. SHELL: TITANIUM 100MM, TITANIUM VERTICAL DO ALLOY REPLACEABLE HANGER . Thru-Axle Rear O.L.N:197MM, Rear Rack brazeons, Dropper Seatpost Guides, Water Bottle Brazeons
    Fork ROCK SHOX BLUTO 100mm White, 26" FAT BIKE, Steerer ALLOY 1-1/8" to 1.5" Taper, CROWN: Forged, AL66 TV aluminum, STANCHION:32mm, Low friction anodize Fast Black , BLADE: Magnesium, post mount disc brake, TRAVEL:100mm, W/15x150 Maxle Lite, W/Solo Air, OLN:150mm
    Crankset RACE FACE RIDE 10 SPD 22x36T AL C-Ring, BLACK, 175mm
    Bottom Bracket RACE FACE BB-100mm BSA English Threaded Outboard Sealed Bearings
    Pedals n/a
    Front Derailleur SRAM FD X7 HDM 2X10 BLK TOP PULL
    Rear Derailleur RAM RD X7 TYPE 2.1 (Clutch) LONG CAGE 10SPD BLK
    Shifters SRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER BLK
    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM CS-PG-1030 11-36
    Chain KMC X10SL SUPER LIGHT NARROW CN 1/2"x11/128"x112L.W/HOLLOW PIN , INCLUDING CL559S NP REUSEABLE LINK
    Hubs NOVATEC D201SB-15 ALLOY FRONT DISC HUB 32H:15mmx150mm FOR FAT BIKE, 2 PRECISION BEARINGS, ANOD. BLACK, F/HUB AXLE ROCKSHOX 15x150 Maxle Lite
    R/HUB(FH) T NOVATEC D202SB-X12MM-S4S ALLOY REAR DISC HUB W/ STEEL CASSETTE BODY 32H.OL:12x197MM CRMO AXLE, 4 PRECISION BEARINGS, 2RS ANOD. BLACK, R.HUB THRU QR C KINESIS ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75
    Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE
    Rims SUN-RINGLE Mulefüt SL 80mm,32H, W/FV BLACK ANOD. W/ BIG HOLES ( 32mm See FAQ page for Tubeless system setup)
    Tires/Tubes VEE RUBBER 26X4.5 Snow Shoe SBK 72TPI Foldable
    Brakes SRAM Guide R HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES, W/POST DISC MOUNT, 180mm ROTOR, GLOSS BLACK
    Brake Levers SRAM Guide R HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES
    Headset ORBIT 1.5 ZS , FOR 1-1/8"/1.5" FORK STEM , Internal Alloy Cups, 1-1/8" ACB Upper, 1.5" ACB Lower,w/Std 12.3mm top cover (H2051B) , W/39.78 BALL RACE
    Handlebar RITCHEY MTN COMP RIZER (Low Rize-20) ( C:31.8mm ), ALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR(UPSWEEP 17° , BEND 9° ) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/710mm. BB BLK
    Stem RITCHEY STEM COMP 4-AXIS 84/6D ( C:31.8mm ) ALLOY 6061 "TIOGA-OS" A-HEAD STEM.EXT6°)70/80/90MM FOR 39 / 45 - 48 / 53CM ,C/S:31.8x28.6x42mm. BB BLK
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual DNA Compounds, Classic Logo
    Saddle WTB Rocket COMP, Satin Steel Rail, PU Leather Cover
    Seat Post RITCHEY SEATPOST COMP 2B 350/400 OS , ALLOY BB BLK S/POST W/ALLOY BB BLK HEAD 31.6x400mm
    Seat Post Clamp 34.9 ALLOY - Bolt
    Last edited by tankhead10; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:41 PM.