Anyone in here ever had a hip replacement?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Anyone in here ever had a hip replacement?

Curious about anyone who's hap a hip replaced and what their life is like on the bike these days? Even if you know somebody who's done it I would love to hear about it. How long ago was it done? What kind of riding were you doing before? Were you able to do the same afterwards? Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    First, I've had a uni knee put in by a robotic procedure by Mako. You can look it up on youtube. The product is excellent and recovery time was minimal. They are doing hip replacements also. I've had several discussions with the bone doc, and he said it not the same earth shaking results as the knees were, BUT it's a better procedure, more exact in the placement of the appliance.

I'm very happy with my knee, and would suggest you explore this. The work is done with a robot that guides the surgeons hands, and it's basically a CAD program as opposed to the usual "Yeah Dr. Dan, that looks pretty close-good enough". All the geometry is pre-calculated, so no guess work.

Also have a close friend that is doing a lot of road-biking in Portland on his hip, and does the elliptical for training. No complaints from him.

As a side note the first man to ever ski down the Grand Teton had an artificial hip put in 45 years ago, so life does go on.40th anniversary: Bill Briggs' ski descent of Grand Teton
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to respond and I will look into this, but in all honesty I am more interested in mountain or fat bikers who have had their hip replaced. Is it possible to ride Moab again with a new hip? Or mountain biking in general?

mtbr member
    My father-in-law did a new hip thing, and he's riding a bike again. Not agressive, but he's doing it.

Not a hip, but I've had a completely shattered elbow with 16 pins and plates and screws. I don't do anything crazy, but I definitely ride hard. Every now and then, if I'm doing something extremely stupid, it'll act up, but it's more of an over use issue with ligaments and tendons. They did not replace the ball and socket. I basically have no cartilege left in my elbow, and it snaps and pops every time I bend it. It's never been a bone/metal issue though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a THR in 2013 at the age of 36. I had been an active runner, and was mainly into mountaineering and rock climbing, with MTB primarily for cross training. Since my hip replacement, I have focused almost exclusively on riding, and even have done some XC, endurance, and fatbike racing. I'll never be competitive unless it's a really small field, but I'm riding harder and longer than I ever have before. I finished the Leadville 100 in 2015 (12:07) and again this year (11:48). Certainly not fast, but not bad for someone with a fake hip who could barely walk down the street a few years ago.

I typically ride 50ish miles per week, almost exclusively on CO front range trails with lots of climbing and descending. I pretty much double the volume and intensity when training. In the winter, I do lots of fat biking on local, ungroomed trails.

I've found that I really have to be diligent in doing my hip and core excercises or risk getting stiff and sore from muscular imbalances. But, overall, I'm really happy with the result of the replacement. I'm probably a bit more careful than I would have been prior to the THR, but still ride "carefully aggressive," if there is such a thing, and keep up with my friends no problem.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DStaley View Post
    I had a THR in 2013 at the age of 36. I had been an active runner, and was mainly into mountaineering and rock climbing, with MTB primarily for cross training. Since my hip replacement, I have focused almost exclusively on riding, and even have done some XC, endurance, and fatbike racing. I'll never be competitive unless it's a really small field, but I'm riding harder and longer than I ever have before. I finished the Leadville 100 in 2015 (12:07) and again this year (11:48). Certainly not fast, but not bad for someone with a fake hip who could barely walk down the street a few years ago.

I typically ride 50ish miles per week, almost exclusively on CO front range trails with lots of climbing and descending. I pretty much double the volume and intensity when training. In the winter, I do lots of fat biking on local, ungroomed trails.

I've found that I really have to be diligent in doing my hip and core excercises or risk getting stiff and sore from muscular imbalances. But, overall, I'm really happy with the result of the replacement. I'm probably a bit more careful than I would have been prior to the THR, but still ride "carefully aggressive," if there is such a thing, and keep up with my friends no problem.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Awesome, exactly the feedback I was looking for. If I may, why did you have to have your hip replaced at age 36?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    First, I've had a uni knee put in by a robotic procedure by Mako. You can look it up on youtube. The product is excellent and recovery time was minimal. They are doing hip replacements also. I've had several discussions with the bone doc, and he said it not the same earth shaking results as the knees were, BUT it's a better procedure, more exact in the placement of the appliance.

I'm very happy with my knee, and would suggest you explore this. The work is done with a robot that guides the surgeons hands, and it's basically a CAD program as opposed to the usual "Yeah Dr. Dan, that looks pretty close-good enough". All the geometry is pre-calculated, so no guess work.
    So biking is going well for you these days with a knee replacement?

I lost some cartilage in my knee from a ski injury in 1997. Total ACL replacement was done. And now at the age of 44 some minor osteoarthritis is setting in. I'm a candidate for a knee a replacement at some point but doc want's me to put it off as long as I can so the replacement outlives me. I guess replacement knees have a lifespan of 20-25 years depending on how active the person is. At some point I'm going to have to get it done and hopefully it doesn't affect my biking too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Make sure to get a replacement that's compatible with a fatbike. Also, get the larger unit so you can clear a 5' tire.
    Fatbikes tho

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Awesome, exactly the feedback I was looking for. If I may, why did you have to have your hip replaced at age 36?
    I ignored a hip impingement for several years, and was bone-on-bone. I'd had both hips scoped in 2011, with a microfracture on the one that ended up getting replaced. The scope and bone shaving was a success on the left side, but not so much on the right, as it was really just too far gone at that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    Make sure to get a replacement that's compatible with a fatbike. Also, get the larger unit so you can clear a 5' tire.
    So, the OP needs a badunkadunk hip? Big ole fatty hip time.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    But what if he also wants to free ride?
    Or All mountain ride?
    Or trail ride?
    Or XC ride?
    Or Fonduro Grind?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Or All mountain ride?
    Or trail ride?
    Or XC ride?
    Or Fonduro Grind?
    My implant is modular, so it's good for a variety of wheel sizes and disciplines, kind of like the Pivot Les. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it's going to hold up now that there's Boost. Stupid "standards..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Or All mountain ride?
    Or trail ride?
    Or XC ride?
    Or Fonduro Grind?

[insert comment about how a fatbike can do all of those things]
    Fatbikes tho

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a similar impingement issue, I am currently 47 but had my hip resurfaced at 38 and I haven't looked back. I had a biomet implant put in. Resurfacing is a partial hip replacement, my implant is metal on metal with no plastic liner, and there is some discussion on this today if the metal ions that end up in your blood is good or bad so look into it if it may be an option for you. Prior to my implant I was doing triathlons and a lot of road riding. Since the implant I have done a few triathlons (limited run training) and a lot of road and mountain riding. It hasn't limited my cycling at all, cycling is actually prescribed by a lot of hip doctors to strengthen the muscles about the hip cavity. Good luck with your future hip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    So biking is going well for you these days with a knee replacement?

I lost some cartilage in my knee from a ski injury in 1997. Total ACL replacement was done. And now at the age of 44 some minor osteoarthritis is setting in. I'm a candidate for a knee a replacement at some point but doc want's me to put it off as long as I can so the replacement outlives me. I guess replacement knees have a lifespan of 20-25 years depending on how active the person is. At some point I'm going to have to get it done and hopefully it doesn't affect my biking too much.
    Had the knee done 6 years ago. Just went in for a checkup and x-rays. No wear and side by side x-rays looked identical. I had the medial side replaced. I can work on my knees all day long with no problem (of course I wear knee pads). I spend 4 months of the year snowboarding and I snowboard bumps with no problem. I can run up hill, but down hill is a problem. Biking hard and steep climbing is of no concern. I sport and alpine climb as well as long hikes in the Mountains. I can take the knee that I had done and bend it back to my skinny white ass (Clista Flockhart quote).

The Mako Knee replacement is fabulous. The one concern that you should have, is that if you wait too long and you're a candidate for a unicondylar, you may end up with a total knee. If you end up needing a full knee revision later, the revision from a unicondylar is far easier than from a full knee. If your Knee Doc does not do the Mako Procedure or does not do a half knee, get yourself to someone who does.

I personally went to 3 different Orthopedic Surgeons and they all said that I needed a full knee-guess what-not one of them did half knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsoyy07Uoh0 Here's the exact procedure I had done. They also do hips and are either doing full or about to. They've been doing it in Europe for years. Don't hesitate to PM and I can give a better run down.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

psycho cyclo addict
    A buddy of mine who I ride weekly with had a hip replaced in his mid-late 40's. He was in so much pain prior to the surgery he could hardly walk.

6+ years later he rides MTB's with the same ridiculously awesome bike handling skills and like NO PAIN. We do a couple of ~85 mile mixed surface rides each year, a fast paced 25-35 mile weekly urban ride, plus lots of trail riding year round (snow to 100+ degrees outside).

Occasionally he'll say his only regret was not having the surgery sooner. Your mileage may vary... best of luck!
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】