turtles make me hot

Anyone Have Alex Blizzerks?

I have to build a couple of sets of wheels and both people are asking if the 70mm Blizzerk is as good as the Surly My Other Brother Darryl.
    I get it. The Darryl is 150bucks and the Blizzerk is 53.

I know Alex makes the rim for Surly so I'm hoping the tubeless is good.
    I like turtles

aka bOb
    Played around some with the 90's and they seemed great. Talked to a wheelbuilder about the 70's and he seem to like them from a build standpoint but he mentioned something about using 14mm nipples due to where they exit the rim and being able to get a spoke wrench on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíve got the rebranded Lythic 70mm version. No complaints. Light, tough and inexpensive.

Tubeless setup was a breeze. IMHO, only reason to go to MOBD is if you wanted an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Who are you sourcing them through? Last I looked Q & JB didn't have them, nor the other distributors I have. Would love to try some

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I have blizzerk 90's. I am a big fan, as it is a great hoop. It is essentially a thinner clown shoe, just with a tubeless profile.

For the huckers out there (ME!!!), The Blizzerk 70, 90 & 100 are quite strong. The have great rim edge/bead reinforcement.

Their Blizzerk 80 & 90 SL are lighter hoops with little to no rim edge bracing.

I got my Blizzerks from the Bikesmiths in Wisconsin. https://www.thebikesmiths.com/

Word on the street is Alex is bringing some carbon hoops to market, so we shall see. I only wish we could get the 100's here in the USA, otherwise i would be rocking a set... I really want the Blizzerk 100...

FAT BIKE | Product categories | Alexrims

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool looking rims!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Who are you sourcing them through? Last I looked Q & JB didn't have them, nor the other distributors I have. Would love to try some
    I got mine right from Otso/Lythic and had them laced to DT350s locally.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Bikesmiths is selling the 70. I'm gonna grab some. They sound like the bomb diggity.

I wish I could get some 90's.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Played around some with the 90's and they seemed great. Talked to a wheelbuilder about the 70's and he seem to like them from a build standpoint but he mentioned something about using 14mm nipples due to where they exit the rim and being able to get a spoke wrench on them.
    At first I couldn't figure out why you would need longer nipples but the coffee just took effect and now I see it.
    I like turtles

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Had the 80's on a Minnesota and made the bike so much better, after that sold the bike so can't tell about longevity or quality.

mtbr member
    Have a pair of the 80's, past couple seasons, also purchased from BikeSmiths. No issues, have not tried tubeless but they are not a tubeless rim, at least mine are not. Are the newer versions tubeless ready? I would also concur that I like them better than the Weinmen rims on my MN, which I also sold.

Ah, followed the link, the 70's are tubeless ready.... oh boy, but I don't need it... N+1 rims too? very tempting to say the least...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    At first I couldn't figure out why you would need longer nipples but the coffee just took effect and now I see it.
    Yeah the spoke holes exit to close the the hollow section in the extrusion.

On a side note I contacted Otso about a 27.5 version and they replied they should be available in about a month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Have Alex Blizzerks?-rhyolite_rim_close_up_v1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I put a set of 80ís on my wifeís bike. Easy to set up tubeless with either Fatty Strippers or shrink wrap. Very effective beadlocks will hold the tire on the rim at less than 2 PSI.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just ordered another one from Bikesmiths, Iíve already built a wheel for my wifeís bike using one and it set up tubeless very easily. I have a Lithic installed on a bike now, it appears to be very similar to the Alex Blizzark 70, both weighed 660g which is a great weight for a fatbike rim. The internal dimension is 62 mm on both.

mtbr member

On a side note I contacted Otso about a 27.5 version and they replied they should be available in about a month.
    Sweet, would love some narrower 27.5Ē aluminums. Hard to get the 65mm mules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Tubeless is super. I absolutely walloped about 4 of them over the course of a year and never lost my seal. stayed straight even without tension on the spoke at the dent! I was using the 90's with 4" tires, a 5" was way better for that width.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

This is great news! Iím hoping that theyíll be available from Alex as well. Iím anal retentive and I donít like the Lythic branding. I see that the Alex version has a removable sticker. As crazy as it sounds, I might buy another set just to have them all black.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I set one of my 80s up tubeless with no tape, just the factory (?) Rim strip.

turtles make me hot
    This is all good to hear. I have a pair of 70's on the way. I'll let you guys know how they work out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    This is all good to hear. I have a pair of 70's on the way. I'll let you guys know how they work out.
    The 70s are great. Hand pump great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    I set one of my 80s up tubeless with no tape, just the factory (?) Rim strip.
    Are you not going to run sealant in them? Iím guessing that any sealant that you add will find its way underneath the rim strip, if the air you added hasnít already done the same thing. One layer of yellow Whisky tape is all ya need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    Are you not going to run sealant in them? Iím guessing that any sealant that you add will find its way underneath the rim strip, if the air you added hasnít already done the same thing. One layer of yellow Whisky tape is all ya need.
    Yes, running sealant without leaks. The rim strip is wall to wall and very tight, almost like it was molded to the rim. First, I trimmed down the front rim strip and added tape because I had no chance in hell removing it. When I was doing the front, it made me wonder what would happen if I just removed the tube on the rear and pumped it up.

Been problem free since April (post 1037)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...ay-827178.html
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd