Anyone ever stud a Chupacabra?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Anyone ever stud a Chupacabra?

29X3.0 would be kind of a nice commuter stud tire size and I happen to have an extra set of wheels/tires in that variety. Anyone done it successfully?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Very curious myself about REAL studded 29+ options, custom or otherwise. From what I've seen available stock, the 45N Nicotine still looks to be the largest volume studded 29 option and it's way undersized.

Maybe this should be cross-posted in the Plus forum for max feedback?
    Last edited by frozenmonkey; 08-14-2017 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Arisun makes the shark tooth in a 29x3. I have yet to find them available but they have to be out there somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have 2 "extra" Chupa's, I'd love to try and make them work by self studding them if at all possible.

This place needs an enema
    What's your plan? Outside in or inside out? Which studs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I was really hoping you'd chime in Mike, thank you. I know you have a ton of experience with this stuff. I'm open to either, I'm also OK with the $$$$, whatever it is. I've fallen on ice before and hurt myself pretty good for a few months, so the $$$ is of no concern. Having said that of course if I can accomplish the same thing for less $$$ that's great to. Jeff

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I was really hoping you'd chime in Mike, thank you. I know you have a ton of experience with this stuff. I'm open to either, I'm also OK with the $$$$, whatever it is. I've fallen on ice before and hurt myself pretty good for a few months, so the $$$ is of no concern. Having said that of course if I can accomplish the same thing for less $$$ that's great to. Jeff

I think grip studs and kold kutters are probably your two main options. Haven't used the former, and the latter have crazy (krazy?) grip, but so much that it can be easy to rip them out of the tread when conditions are right.

Seems like chupa's have sorta flimsy casings for this sort of thing. Not sure though, as I haven't tried to stud them. Which is why I was asking, and not telling.

Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I think grip studs and kold kutters are probably your two main options. Haven't used the former, and the latter have crazy (krazy?) grip, but so much that it can be easy to rip them out of the tread when conditions are right.

Seems like chupa's have sorta flimsy casings for this sort of thing. Not sure though, as I haven't tried to stud them. Which is why I was asking, and not telling.

Keep us posted.

Thanks. Will do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    My thought as well. I'd try a 60 or even 120tpi Knard before a Chupacabra.

There are a few new fringe tire manufacturer's popping up with 29x2.8 offerings. IIRC some have "tough" or heavier casing options. Check the + forum.