Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?- Mtbr.com
    Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?

The Pugs is our everyday bike. Trails are needing work. I started to think about another bike for trail work.
    Looked at the Bob...looked at the Pugs... need to source a fork builder?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    sure, i pull a bob with my pug quite often

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    what trailer fork do you use with the trailer. Company says the yak/ibex 28 will not work with the endo/marge combo.

mtbr member

28 fork

You need the 28 fork for the BOB and do some minor bending to the trailer drop outs to get the tire clearance for the offset rear wheel. I drag all my bob trailers with my 9 Zero 7 even fattened the trailers up. You can get the fork from the bike trailer shop.com and you can see pictures of mine on bob talk forums.

mtbr member
    I do, i fitted a 29er (700c) yolk and hacked the back end off, opened it up a bit from where it was previously welded and fitted a 4" tyred Kite Buggy wheel with bearings using Hope Pro 2 front hub spacers...
    it sits a bit offset despite swapping 1 bobbin but you dont notice it...

12,4,11 016 by coastkid71, on Flickr

info here; https://coastkid.blogspot.com/search...0BOB%20Trailer

film;

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KRNcy7oNCaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

bob trailer and the 907

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    You need the 28 fork for the BOB and do some minor bending to the trailer drop outs to get the tire clearance for the offset rear wheel. I drag all my bob trailers with my 9 Zero 7 even fattened the trailers up. You can get the fork from the bike trailer shop.com and you can see pictures of mine on bob talk forums.
    don't suppose anyone could post photo's of a bob/907 set up?
    just dropped a down payment on a 907 and weighing the pros and cons of bob vs panniers for a long off road tour.
    any feed back appreciated.
    really dig the "coastkid" video. nice work. his stuff is always inspiring and has me drifting towards bob.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    1spd1way,

I bought a 28" (well that's what the supplier here in OZ called it) fork for the BOB, whacked it on, hooked it to the Pugs to see how it fitted. Rode ~60Km's along the beach, no stress!!!!

Below is the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-city-beach-yanchep-return-10-2011-2011-10-06_13-49-09_511.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-city-beach-yanchep-return-10-2011-2011-10-07_09-25-55_561.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-city-beach-yanchep-return-10-2011-2011-10-06_07-28-45_815.jpg  

mtbr member
    well then...that is interesting, isn't it...definitely need to show more of that trailer swing-arm...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    alanm,
    thank you kindly for the pix! enormously helpful. i will give it a go. the transplanted fork on the rear is a nice touch as well. if you ever felt like shooting a close up of that i bet i wouldn't be the only one interested in the perspective. i do a bit of welding myself, so i might try to amend my old ibex similarly.
    my 907 is on it's way from alaska... as soon as i get my rig up and running i'll try to download a portrait or two.
    cheers,
    kc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Guys,

Only too happy to take some shots of the swing arm but it'll have to wait until next week as I'm 400 Km's from the bike and trailer. The trailer was a bit of a muff up as it wasn't done to my drawings the first time around. I had to come up with a 'Fix' for it, it's now working very well but has cost me 1100 bucks for the privilege If any one else wants to give it a go my latest method is fairly straight forward.

Al

mtbr member
    ...details!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    OK guys,

A bit slow but here's some pics of the swing arm.
    This isn't ideal and not what I originally designed. The guy who did the job for me decided his way was better and this is what I wound up with. Actually, that's not correct, the first try was a screamin' failure and I had to take it back. That's when he added the flat rear dropouts in order to lower the bed of the trailer. My design called for a new fork with upswept ends on it to get the trailer bed below the axle of the wheel. I've since found some round CrMo tube and will simply bend it around a 5" mandrel then weld some drop outs to the end. I'll then cut the existing forks off the swing arm off and weld my new forks to it. Much stronger and more professional looking.

Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-017.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-018.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-019.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-020.jpg  

Anybody use a Bob Trailer with a Fattie?-021.jpg  

Last edited by alanm; 11-17-2011 at 03:52 AM.

mtbr member
    but will it fit a BFL?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ...lol.. I don't thinks so, it's a bit tight even for the Endo. However, never fear, I'm hoping the next one will be 'future proof' and have stacks of clearance....

Al

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mine works just fine. I didn't bend or retro fit anything. I did buy the 29er version fork for the Bob.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, does it matter how high the trailer wheel is mounted in relation to the trailer base. Also do you really need a ibex instead of a yak.
    Cheers
    Ron

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saron View Post
    Hi, does it matter how high the trailer wheel is mounted in relation to the trailer base. Also do you really need a ibex instead of a yak.
    Cheers
    Ron
    Ron,

Re; the base height, Yep, it sure does matter, if the bed is too high, the trailer will push the bike around like crazy when a heavy (40Kg) load is carried. The bed needs to be under the axle of the wheel in order to keep the centre of gravity as low as practical. I've spent a small fortune to prove this....

Re; Yak as opposed to the Ibex. I have both, both are modded to take the Endo, both do a good job, the Yak is an easy mod, the Ibex more difficult, although I've come up with a simple solution. However, the Ibex gives a far superiour ride for the cargo in terms of smoothness over rough terrain. This also equates to easier towing. If you'll only be on the road, the Yak, in it's original state is good enough. I still prefer the Ibex.

I couldn't get either to fit the endo with the 26" yoke on the front.

Cheers,
    Al

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, just curious if the mods people have done to their Bob trailers are holding up.
    I am still chasing up best option for off road use.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Saron,

Mine is, I use the Ibex the most because of the suspension but the Yak is OK as well.

Al