mtbr member
    May 2013

Any Specialized Insulator Mitt owners?

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with these pogies? Have recently moved to Norway and need to sort something for the winter. My hands get pretty cold due to poor circulation and I hate wearing thick gloves on the bike. Options for pogies are pretty limited here, either basic neoprene covers or one shop that has the 45NRTH Cobrafist. These seem a bit full-on and are definitely not cheap but seem to be well liked, so might be my best option, however I can get a good deal on the Specialized Insulator. The only downside will be buying blind (online seller) so just wondering if they are any good? Can't find a single review online, so hoping someone here can give me a yay or nay opinion!
    Cheers!

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Use whatever the locals use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had the same question. Does anyone out there own a pair of the Specialized pogies? Like them? Pros/cons?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Kimble View Post
    Hi, Does anyone have any experience with these pogies? Have recently moved to Norway and need to sort something for the winter. My hands get pretty cold due to poor circulation and I hate wearing thick gloves on the bike. Options for pogies are pretty limited here, either basic neoprene covers or one shop that has the 45NRTH Cobrafist. These seem a bit full-on and are definitely not cheap but seem to be well liked, so might be my best option, however I can get a good deal on the Specialized Insulator. The only downside will be buying blind (online seller) so just wondering if they are any good? Can't find a single review online, so hoping someone here can give me a yay or nay opinion!
    Cheers!
    The basic neoprene ones are excellent in my opinion. If it is really cold plopp a few hand warmers in there- which makes them more versatile than the super toasty insulated ones as they are too hot for most riding.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I live in Calgary, Alberta and it can get as cold as -25 or so and I have had bar mitts, which are basic ponies, 45 north, which are much fancier and I have a pair of bontranger mitts.

Both ponies worked well, the 45 north are bulkier, and a little warmer, and they have a couple of ventilation ports.

Or course I have no idea on what is available for you to purchase.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Try Revelate designs. Maybe they ship globally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    The basic neoprene ones are excellent in my opinion. If it is really cold plopp a few hand warmers in there- which makes them more versatile than the super toasty insulated ones as they are too hot for most riding.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I agree. I got a pair of the RockBros mitts (which are also offered under other brand names) since they were cheap. I figured, for the price, I would give 'em a try before spending $100+ on the more elaborate options. They have worked like a charm here in PA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I agree. I got a pair of the RockBros mitts (which are also offered under other brand names) since they were cheap. I figured, for the price, I would give 'em a try before spending $100+ on the more elaborate options. They have worked like a charm here in PA.
    What is the wrist opening like as far as getting bigger winter coat sleeves thru the opening?
    Blaine, Mn

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíve got a pair of the Specialized Insualtor Mitts. Highly recommended. I use a light glove when itís below 5 degrees and more often that not no gloves at all when warmer.

Buy them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    Iíve got a pair of the Specialized Insualtor Mitts. Highly recommended. I use a light glove when itís below 5 degrees and more often that not no gloves at all when warmer.

Buy them.
    Finally! I figured somebody out there must own a set of these. Thanks.

Do you like how they mount to the bars? Plenty of room to reach your levers? I've owned Bar Mitts, Cobrafists and Revelates all of which have good qualities but I'm still searching for the one that suits me best. Picky!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffykid View Post
    What is the wrist opening like as far as getting bigger winter coat sleeves thru the opening?
    Being neoprene, they tend to lay a little flat. The opening is 7". I have not had any issues with sleeves or gloves but, honestly, I haven't worn a coat with real bulky sleeves and anything other than thin gloves/liners results in sweaty hands.
    Last edited by Rockadile; 01-21-2018 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playinVT View Post
    Finally! I figured somebody out there must own a set of these. Thanks.

Do you like how they mount to the bars? Plenty of room to reach your levers? I've owned Bar Mitts, Cobrafists and Revelates all of which have good qualities but I'm still searching for the one that suits me best. Picky!
    They have a plug that goes thru a large rivet and that tightens. Take seconds to remove them. They have a spongy foam piece that goes in between the bars and the cables to fill that gap where they zip and velcro closed over the bars. They have pull strings to close them over your arms. They have pockets in them for snacks or whatever. You can fold the cuff down so its like a handguard if you get too warm around the wrists.

I find them big enough for my xxl gloved hands, can grab a levels 2 finger lever easily. They also arnt ďhugeĒ like 45nrths as in bulky looking.

I was able once i got to temp remove my gloves and go gloveless at -19c in them with esi chunk grips. Could feel a bit of cold but was nice.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had my local tailor sew Velcro in mine in the spot that the foam would normally be. Now it just seals up and I donít have to worry about the foam. If it gets too warm Iíll open them up and get some air through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Insulators. So far I'm pretty pleased. They're very warm, impressively lightweight, easy to install and have some nice features. They're warmer than my Revelates and less bulky, much lighter than the Cobrafists and again less bulky. I like that they're shorter in length than some of the other pogies I've used. I never felt the need for the cuffs to come way up my arm on pogies. The Insulators come up just past the wrist-perfect! The cuff openings are easily adjusted and seal nicely.

The only thing I would change is the ease of entry. The Mitts could use a stiffener that runs lengthwise to the cuff. I find the opening tends to be a bit droopy slowing the entry a bit and leaving the cuff further down my arm than I'd prefer. I may fashion a fix for it but overall I'm pretty pleased with the product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Insulators. So far I'm pretty pleased. They're very warm, impressively lightweight, easy to install and have some nice features. They're warmer than my Revelates and less bulky, much lighter than the Cobrafists and again less bulky. I like that they're shorter in length than some of the other pogies I've used. I never felt the need for the cuffs to come way up my arm on pogies. The Insulators come up just past the wrist-perfect! The cuff openings are easily adjusted and seal nicely.

The only thing I would change is the ease of entry. The Mitts could use a stiffener that runs lengthwise to the cuff. I find the opening tends to be a bit droopy slowing the entry a bit and leaving the cuff further down my arm than I'd prefer. I may fashion a fix for it but overall I'm pretty pleased with the product.