Any regrets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Any regrets?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Any regrets?

So has anyone have any regrets getting rid of your 29 full suspension for a fat bike. I don't know whether to trade in my 14 Camber evo on a Fatboy pro or just keep the 29 Camber and get an Fatboy expert. I don't ride a whole lot in the winter but those Fatboys look so damn fun so it would be a year around bike.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    What you should do is not look at any brands, and just demo a fat bike.

How do you know you want to trade in unless you know you like it?
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

aka bOb
    I always will keep my 29er fully, once some of the cool aide wore off I was glad I still had it. Sometime it's just a better tool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Its so fun to go back and forth. Get used to the mongo traction of the soft fatties on smooth single track then go back to the camber and surprise yourself at how fantastic it is to stay in the saddle over bumps, keep the wheels planted around rough corners or on rocky climbs.

Without a doubt, keep the camber if you possibly can.

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Keep the camber, demo a fatty or just buy something used on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's why I was saying maybe to just keep my Camber and just get an expert. I was just wondering if anyone has had any regrets.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YORK25 View Post
    That's why I was saying maybe to just keep my Camber and just get an expert. I was just wondering if anyone has had any regrets.
    You're assuming other people have made trading in a bike a requirement and therefore risking regret.

There was this girl I worked with during high school, I should have asked her out. I regret that, and sometimes my brain will dream about it, and I wanna be like, BRAIN, I'M TWICE THAT AGE AND MY WIFE ROCKS, WILL YOU PLEASE QUIT REMEMBERING THAT ONE, OKAY THANK YOU.

But, like, fat bikes? Nah man. Get one, but that's, like, just my opinion. Test ride one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I more in likely will keep the Camber and just get the Fatboy Expert, the wife even says to keep the Camber.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Well hot sh!t, convincing the SO is half the battle dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lol, it can't hurt to have 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Any regrets?

If you're not sure if you like fatties yet keep your other bike.

Having both is nice depending on mood and conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Any regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
    Its so fun to go back and forth. Get used to the mongo traction of the soft fatties on smooth single track then go back to the camber and surprise yourself at how fantastic it is to stay in the saddle over bumps, keep the wheels planted around rough corners or on rocky climbs.

Without a doubt, keep the camber if you possibly can.
    What he said^^.

My bikes--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Never had a 29er never will.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    I'd keep the Camber and just get an Expert. Then you can set up the Expert properly for winter-only use. You don't need a suspension fork for the winter.

The Camber is a pretty nice bike and unless I was strapped for cash, it's one I would keep around for fast trail riding.

Rumor has it Specialized has some *other things* planned for next season. You might get a glimpse at Sea Otter.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Or get a FS fatty and a set of 29 or 27.5 plus wheels.

mtbr member
    N+1 rule applies here, OK here is another tip buy all in the same color then you can blend the next N+1 purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have an IBIS Mojo and a Fatboy. I find the Fatboy to be amazing, but there are things I like about the FS carbon bike. So I have a Salsa Bucksaw Carbon on order. The IBIS will likely go at that point and the Fatboy will become a winter bike.

On really rocky techical stuff I like the Fatboy, but on fast stuff you might want something with slightly smaller wheels. Perhaps a Beargrease or a Bucksaw would be better for an allround bike?

All that said the fatter wheels seem to just be fun when compared to a standard bike

banned
    Sep 2008
    after 10 years riding 29ers of all types i could never imagine riding anything under a 3.8" tire ever again. fatty's are simply more capable machines year round. skinny mtb tires just don't look right. sold my last 29er over a year ago.

go fat.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    <<<minor drift>>> with relevance
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ... just demo a fat bike...
    Given how much the ride/feel of a Fat Bike is affected by the tire/rim, and radically affected by having the tire PSI set appropriately for the rider weight & terrain, there should be a sticky informing newbies on how to demo a Fat Bike... or did I miss that?
    Otherwise, what was their riding experience. As in, a demo could easily be pointless/invalidated/sabotaged by having an incorrect PSI. Yes/No?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I test rode a fatty and bought it, but I still have my full suspension. I don't ride the FS as much as the fatty but there are times the FS is best for the terrain I am riding. I am glad to have both bikes to choose from! If you like your full suspension bike keep it for a while as you can always sell it later if you find you don't need it and the fatty does everything you need it to do.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Would never give up my 29er FS, it does everything that my fatbike sucks at, like going fast around turns, blasting through technical terrain, climbing over rough stuff, big drops and jumps, etc.

If the fatbike is like a jeep through tech terrain, my 6" 29er is like a baja trophy truck.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Love my fatbike and my FS29. I ride my Mukluk all winter and ride my FS29 when there is no snow. Only bike that could get me down to one bike is a FS fatbike. I demoed a Bucksaw last summer and it was awesome. Keep both until you decide if you want one or both. I live in MN and everybody had a fatbike in the snow, but come summer probably more than 95% of these fatbikes disappear and are replaced by standard mtn bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride the fatty a lot, but still take my fs out if I want to go fast

mtbr member
    I forgot who said it on here, but bike happiness is:

(N+1) = (S-1)

N+1 is the number of bikes you want.
    S-1 is the number of bikes that won't cause a separation with your spouse.

mtbr member
    I would test ride a fatty. I saved 2 to 3 years to get a full sup. I rented a fat bike and then I decided I would rather own a fatty than a full sup. I am glad I made that choice, for me. I have two SS bikes, a gravel bike and a hardtail also. I may sell one of them to start saving for another fatty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hoi,
    My Fatboy ..... winter bike
    My Camber.... summer ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat View Post
    N+1 rule applies here, OK here is another tip buy all in the same color then you can blend the next N+1 purchase.
    +1 on this. I added a pugsley to my stable. I don't have a 29 FS, but have a 26er FS All mountain and a 27.5 trail FS. I use them all, and my favourite is usually the one I am riding at the time. It's great to get a different experience of my local trails.

If I add another bike, as long as it's the same colour, the wife won't notice.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would only limit myself to one bike if I really HAD to.

I just got done building up my 29er FS and love it. I can ride it for a lot longer than my fat bike, as the rear squish really helps my back.

Think of a fat bike as the 100% bike. With a set of winter and summer tires, you can do 100% of your riding on it.

Think of your 29er FS as the 75% bike. With a set of Spring/Fall, and Summer tires, you can do 75% of your riding on it.

Loser
    At one point in my life I was a bike hoarder, I had nine bikes in my garage one got ridden all the time. I went on a selling binge (some people got some REALLY good deals!) and am now down to 3 bikes, Trek Madone for the road, Fatboy for most of my mountain biking and the RIP9 that's desperately hoping I'll take it out on the next ride.

I would never be without a back up mountain bike, riding is just too important to me, with the Fatboy as primary and RIP9 as back up, I'm in a pretty good spot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Never had a 700c full suspension mountain bike to get rid of(no hard tail or rigid either). Mainly because my short legs prevent me from fitting on them. That said, I do not plan to get rid of any other bike I have just because I am building a bucksaw that I still have no room for.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

Two Headed Boy
    I have zero. My fattie and my cross bike fulfill all my needs more than adequatly;-)
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Lol, it can't hurt to have 2 bikes.
    2 bikes? That's not even a good start. LOL.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1

Fat is fun, fat is different, fat is also slow and a chore when you want to put down some miles.

I'm complimenting mine with a lightweight 29er FS

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    fat is also slow and a chore when you want to put down some miles.
    I've had the opposite experience, I'm faster (confirmed via GPS and Strava) through the same trails on the fattie. Even though the physics say this should not be the case. Maybe I'm just having so much fun, that I push harder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fun and fast are not be the same thing. I really enjoy riding fat because it is so much fun, but sometimes I like to ride fast and fat does not ride fast well.

If you had to pick one bike, a fat bike would probably be more capable in more situations, but like all things, a fat bike has its limits.

If you can afford two bikes, then keep the long legged 29er.

Now if you are really, really, really focused on having one bike, THEN build an FS fatty (Salsa Carbon Bucksaw) blinged out will all the carbon, get a second set of 650b+ wheels, THEN you would have a great ride with minimal compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I've had the opposite experience, I'm faster (confirmed via GPS and Strava) through the same trails on the fattie. Even though the physics say this should not be the case. Maybe I'm just having so much fun, that I push harder.

Frame Building Moderator
    Do you have a fatbike? Because if you do, you have a 29er. Just a 29er with really fat tires...

OP: go try stuff. You probably want both. If you can't have both, I'd probably stick with the dualy but that's just me.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Never had a 29er never will.

western NC
    It may also have to do with all the added traction that helps tremendously this time of year, even though we rarely get snow it does get wet and slick in places. I may get back on a skinny tire this spring and feel like it's a rocket ship in comparison.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Got the Fatboy about two months ago, and have been having a blast. Like another poster on this thread, my other ride is a Mojo 26 FS. I might take it out for a pitty ride or two after I finish some work on it, but I don't see myself riding it much. I had been thinking about a FS 29er, but the fat bike is so much fun that I don't see myself getting the FS 29er anytime soon.
    The Fatboy (and I am assuming other fatties with similar geo) is a blast on single track. I've had it on wet snow once, the rest of the time has been dirt.
    If there had been more fatties for me to ride in the area, I might have ended up on something different, but I love my bright orange Fatboy!

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I may get back on a skinny tire this spring and feel like it's a rocket ship in comparison.
    I recently rode my FS29er while the rear hub on my Fatboy was getting replaced, I was expecting the "rocketship" effect, I was surprised that it really didn't feel that much faster. Strange.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I recently rode my FS29er while the rear hub on my Fatboy was getting replaced, I was expecting the "rocketship" effect, I was surprised that it really didn't feel that much faster. Strange.
    My fatbike rolled faster than any mountain biker I rode with last year on every surface except really technical or rocky trails. Meaning that while coasting or on the flats, the fatbike rolled better than buddies on 26er's, 27.5ers and 29ers. Asphalt, gravel, single track, the fat bike always rolled with less effort.

The most pronounced example was riding some gravel with my wife on a 26er FS with 2.2 ardents. She was peddling so much harder on the flats we checked her brakes to see if they were rubbing! Fatty tires roll fast if you have the pressure right.

But the added weight of the fat bike and wheels really showed up when climbing. Guys I normally outclimb were harder to keep up too.

I bet I'm a little slower overall with the fatbike. And I don't care.

mtbr member
    I have a Stumpjumper 29r FS and a fat bike. I would keep the FS 29r of the 2. I really like having a choice. I have another 26r hard tail I may sell and ride the fatty during the summer with the kids or with slower riders in general.
    The Fatbike is lots of fun and definately a much harder bike to pedal, today in snow 99% of time I was pedaling. The 29r FS is much faster and easier overall to ride, and I never feel beat up at the end of a ride, just tired and exhilarated!

Keep 2 bikes if you can swing it.

Loser
    I have several KOMs on my Fatboy, mostly mixed up/downs. I have one KOM on a climb that I have tried to get on the RIP9 many times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have also considered a 29 plus, I really want a second bike just can't decide one minute a Fatboy then one minute 29 plus. Maybe I should just save some more and get a full suspension fat bike.

All fat, all the time.
    You shouldn't regret anything.... but use it as a learning experience for next time

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Given how much the ride/feel of a Fat Bike is affected by the tire/rim, and radically affected by having the tire PSI set appropriately for the rider weight & terrain, there should be a sticky informing newbies on how to demo a Fat Bike... or did I miss that?
    Otherwise, what was their riding experience. As in, a demo could easily be pointless/invalidated/sabotaged by having an incorrect PSI. Yes/No?
    Fair point, I'd say. I've had the "your tires are overinflated" conversation at trail heads often enough to agree that yeah, that's a thing.