Any left handed Guinea pigs out there?- Mtbr.com
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator

Any left handed Guinea pigs out there?

So I'm tossing this out. As some here know, I've played with putting fatties on Leftys for a while, with rideable, but not perfect results.

The biggest reason for this (besides just being cool) is that there's so few suspension forks out there for them, and the ones that are, all seem to have a drawback in some way or another, flex, rarity, A to C, etc.

The clamps just aren't long enough to accommodate a truly fat tire. While I haven't tried a 50mm or so rim, a Marge still didn't cut the mustard,and what's the point of having a fattie up there if it has to go to Jenny Craig to fit??

So, I had a chance meeting with Jake from Project 321 @ Cannondale a few weeks back, who makes some sweet bits and adapters for Leftys. We'd spoken before on this, and the market is just too small and he's too busy, to bother with retooling to make a "stretched" set of clamps. He was all too kind to offer his CAD files gratis though, (big thanks Jake!) should I be able to find someone to do the job.

I have a lead that seems promising, and the more I do, the better the cost.

I'm not looking to make a dime on this, it's not my business, and as Jake indicated, I doubt there's enough market that it would make anyone rich anyway. I'd simply like to know if there's anyone interested enough to put up a share, and get a set. They would be for the older style Leftys, 2004-7 Max130/140 FFD,TPC,SPV, the older DLR ti legged versions, etc. The newer forks all have bonded clamps and won't work.

Worth noting though, the 2005-7 Max forks can have 2011 internals dropped into them, making them a very current, modern fork, with lock out, tuneable platform, low speed damping tuning, Solo Air, etc.

The P321 clamp sets are ~$200, I'd guess these would be a bit more, but maybe not, we haven't gotten to the price discussion yet, and obviously, no $ from any interested folks, till a firm price is nailed down. I'm simply gauging interest now.

Just tossing it out there, anyone wanna be a test pilot? Just say the word
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

This place needs an enema
    Very interested, yes.

First question that comes to mind is re: hubs. If you're gonna lace up a 100mm rim (and I probably would be...) you'll need wider flange spacing than you can get with any Lefty hub I've seen. If you use the stock hub the spokes get wider apart as they near the rim. Makes it kinda difficult to true or dish the wheel, as you're not dealing with a triangle anymore, more of a square.

What's your solution?

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    all (forks) seem to have a drawback in some way or another, flex, rarity, A to C, etc.
    I have worked with Lefty's for a number of years, and from a durability standpoint..... well, i wouldn't sell one to a friend. Others may have different experiences though....

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Very interested, yes.

First question that comes to mind is re: hubs. If you're gonna lace up a 100mm rim (and I probably would be...) you'll need wider flange spacing than you can get with any Lefty hub I've seen. If you use the stock hub the spokes get wider apart as they near the rim. Makes it kinda difficult to true or dish the wheel, as you're not dealing with a triangle anymore, more of a square.

What's your solution?

Cheers,

MC
    Well, all I can say at this point is the 100 I built up before, ran fine. I was able to true it, round it, and keep it so. Admittedly, it didn't see a large volume of abuse, but it ran perfectly till I unbuilt it since the slight offset remaining bugged me enough to want to seek a better overall solution.

It might be a cart and horse sort of thing. Get the offset issue sorted, then find a willing machinist to build a creative mousetrap to finish off the "world of hard knocks" level wheel. So far, my experiences haven't concerned me with flange width, but there's a solution for everything sooner or later if warranted enough.

You probably know as well as any, it's just a wheel, try it, play with it, refine it. It's not like you're buying a house.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth
    I have worked with Lefty's for a number of years, and from a durability standpoint..... well, i wouldn't sell one to a friend.
    Bored huh? I guess haters are just gonna hate...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be interested.

Dr Gadget is IN
    So I'm tossing this out. As some here know, I've played with putting fatties on Leftys for a while, with rideable, but not perfect results.

In. Want. the Word. Whatever.

I was toying with the idea of drawing up my own design and making a pair - but if you've already got a design (from Jake), and a machinist lined up? IN.

I would like to see the design, if possible, too. What file type?

Also, re:hubs. Your experiments used a CDale hub laced to just one offset row of holes? I recall a pic way back when, if you could repost please.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    What's your solution?

Cheers,

MC
    What if you crossed the spokes from one side of the hub to the other side of the rim? I know it bends the nipples and elbows out of desired alignment. These points were discussed in a thread with a guy doing it to a silver 100 and a normal hub.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    What if you crossed the spokes from one side of the hub to the other side of the rim? I know it bends the nipples and elbows out of desired alignment. These points were discussed in a thread with a guy doing it to a silver 100 and a normal hub.

I built my wheels with 135f/170r hubs on USC 100's using cross lacing (untensioned front):

I know that the flange and the "matching" row of holes were almost in line with each other (spoke angle was 1-2 degrees).

For a lefty hub, the left flange is 18.35mm from "normal" centerline, right flange is 31.56mm. If we shift centerline 50mm (swag) to the right, we get 68.35, -18.44. USC 100mm rim has spoke holes at +/- 25mm from centerline. Using the left row of holes (and drilling additional between for proper count) could yield a fairly symmetrical build - with the rim hanging 75mm outside of the spoke nipples. But USC rims are stout - don't know how a singlewall and/or lightened rim would do.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    In. Want. the Word. Whatever.
    Hey Wadester, I figured you'd hone in on this at some point, right up your alley

I sent the IGES files to a guy in NYC who contacted me about doing it. I haven't heard back after an initial flurry of emails, he did mention traveling, but I thought he said he'd be back by now.

Not that I expect free services to happen when I say jump, but I guess he's just gotten busy, who knows.

If I don't hear back in a week or so, I'll get back with you. You have access to machinery to do this? I have another guy I was going to chat with, but the NYC fella popped up and had personal interest so I went that way first.

Jake was good enough to give me the files, so I'd rather not toss his intellectual property all over the place hoping it'll stick somewhere, if you know what I mean. I did purchase several raw steerers from him too, so that's not an issue, make the clamps, press the steerer, run with it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    CNC Industries in Fairmont, WV has done several jobs for me in the past (I used to make/sell RC car parts). Quality was always high and at the time (several years ago) prices were reasonable. Might be worth sending the files to them for a quote if you can't find someone locally.

http://www.cncindust.com/

Super Genius...

Count me in!!!

I've already bought 2 lefty Max 140's for this very purpose....one for my pug and the other for my Alfine hub Franken-Turner.

I've also got a CNC jobber that will do the work and is a supplier for Harley Davidson...the quality of their work is amazing. I think I can work a gratis test part or two before we do a full scale run if it ever comes to that.

PM me if interested.
    I pedal, therefore I am.

Members who have read this thread: 0