Any Growler Nitro Stout or Double Stout Owners in New England?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Any Growler Nitro Stout or Double Stout Owners in New England?

I'm very interested in this bike and would love to see one in person.

mtbr member
    I'm going to share this thread with Willo the owner of Growler.
    Strong, Light, Cheap; Pick Two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I'm very interested in this bike and would love to see one in person.
    I own a Nitro Stout but I don't live in New England... Do you have any questions about it...

I will say I am a bit bias being the Media Director of Growler Bikes though but I have ridden a lot of bikes! Let us know if we can answer questions for you!

Human Test Subject
    Growler is so active and has such good customer service I'm sure you could just yell outside your front door and eventually someone will come help you out.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd like to hear more about the Double-Stout if anyone has ridden one. How does it handle as a trail bike? I have not bought a bike since 2004, a 26" XC (Titus Racer-X), nor done any riding in 6 yrs (been doing ultra running). I want to get back into mtn biking and started reading on the forums here about a month ago. Blown away by how much things have changed!! I like the idea of dual-use fat/trail and read a lot of threads, but not much on Growler FS other than the one long thread..

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hoping to hear some input as well. Thinking of swapping out my carbon Alaskan frame for a Nitro Stout. Im tiered of replacing deraillaur hangers

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I gave up, moved on, and eventually bought a Fatback Skookum. Thrilled with my decision. Good luck to everyone else - may you all find the right bike for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I gave up, moved on, and eventually bought a Fatback Skookum. Thrilled with my decision. Good luck to everyone else - may you all find the right bike for you.
    How are you liking the bike still? Was debating on a trek farley 9.6 salsa mukluk and now the fatback skookum as well as the growler nitro stout

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've never ridden a Mukluk and never even seen any Growler in person. But I did ride a Trek Farley and a Norco (I forget the model). The Trek and Norco were very similar to me, and both felt like very good, capable fat tire bikes. The Skookum was (and still is) in a different class. It just feels like a hardtail trail bike that happens to have fat tires. If you must have 27.5 x 4.5 tires, get a Farley. But the Skookum can accommodate 27.5 x 4, and 26 x 5. A bonus with the Skookum is that the component spec is well thought out. Mine is the GX level build, so Eagle GX drivetrain and Guide brakes. But the highlights are the sweet Mastodon Pro fork, superb PNW dropper, Fatback carbon bars, and the 72 POE Fatback hubs in their wheels which I am convinced are made for them by Hadley. Literally the only thing I've done to the bike is add pedals and swap wheels, but then I keep a set with studded tires and a set without, so wheel swaps are just something I do based on trail conditions.

I'm not about to get rid of my Tallboy 3 and use the Skookum as my only bike, but I won't hesitate to postpone needed shop work on the Tallboy while the Skookum is my backup bike.

I'm not a pro so take my comments for what they're worth - one man's opinion. But if you ride as many of the bikes you are considering as possible, you should end up with the one that feels best to you. In the end, that's what matters most.

Fred