Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 51 of 51
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?

    I'm looking at studded tires bigger than my 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags for an earlier Farley 9.6. Most of the time I'd rather have more traction than think I'm a speed racer but those tires with studs would be bigger or knobbier than others in my posse ride. I also like to ride from my driveway that's 2 mi to trailhead.

    Knowing just about any purchase with studs should be an improvement, are studded Gnarwhals going to be miserable riding to trailhead or on good condition days?

    Is this going to be winter version of the times I wonder why I'm on dirt with fat bike vs my trail bike or more fat bike equivalent to having the trail bike with with good size general purpose knobbies vs fast tires?

    I admit to some bias because I know the Trek people behind this stuff. They ride and test stuff on trails I manage. It looks like the tires and studs are readily available but I could be convinced to look at something else.

    Thank you.

    P.S. That 2 mi one way ride to trailhead is mostly pavement. A never gets plowed and always gets trampled foot path climb is part of my search for more traction.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  2. #2
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    My only regret with them is that they're an awesome tire that is the least used of any in my quiver. We have dirt for 8 months and deep snow for 4, but rarely the tweener conditions in which a studded Gnar shines.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,044
    thanks for the reminder, i need to install my set of 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhal's and stud them
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Both Farley's setup for Winter last weekend...

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20191110_185317.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20191110_184943.jpg  

    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    My only regret with them is that they're an awesome tire that is the least used of any in my quiver. We have dirt for 8 months and deep snow for 4, but rarely the tweener conditions in which a studded Gnar shines.
    Thank you.

    If interpret that correctly they might be perfect. The past few seasons have had times when there's drifting snow over ice. Add what might be considered perfect conditions after a snowfall but too soft or deep for the 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag tires. Visiting my mother in law can be miles of frozen lake riding too crappy for decent skating. There are also times when a thaw happens and cupped trail is ice.

    I guess I should smack my inner weight weenie or dream of fast and easy ride side the head and make the bike a two wheel Jeep.

    Thanks again.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    68
    I installed 27.5x4.5 Gnarwal's (studded) on my Farley 9.6 last year. Like you, I ride to my trails (about 4 miles one way) and it's pavement/concrete the whole way. It's annoying when there is no snow, because you hear the constant "ticking" of the studs on pavement. I worried that I was wearing them out all that time (but probably wasn't, since I didn't ride that much last winter).

    We didn't have much snow when I did ride, so I don't know how well they really "dig" into the snow. Hopefully I'll get out more this winter and find out.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Tall wide spaced knobs on the Gnars are great for digging/traction, excellent for cornering.
    The studs are to help keep you upright on ice surfaces, turning and off camber, not much help in snow.

    I ran Bonty carbide tipped studs all last Winter with a good 20-30 minute ride sometimes on bare pavement before getting to the trailhead.
    They didn't seem to suffer any wear compared to a new set I just installed on the new bikes Gnars'. They are loud and slow on pavement though.
    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,734

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?

    I find they have so much traction i can run them at pretty high psi for hard pack and they are faster than a less grippy tire at low psi.

    Then if it snows and i need float and bite i can adjust.

    I usually run them 7/8 psi and i keep up with dillingers but i generally dont walk anything... well no thats a lie. Sometimes they grip so much i start to wheely on climbs at every pedal stroke and i dont get forward enough on the seat and have to bail.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Both Farley's setup for Winter last weekend...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191110_185317.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	1292595
    Are those large frames? I discovered verbiage on this site and from contact with Trek that 27.5 x 4.5 Garwhal rear tire is a no go with medium frame. Looking at the original Hodag 3.8 clearance it seems like I can add a lot more tire than 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag.

    Thank you.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Are those large frames? I discovered verbiage on this site and from contact with Trek that 27.5 x 4.5 Garwhal rear tire is a no go with medium frame. Looking at the original Hodag 3.8 clearance it seems like I can add a lot more tire than 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag.

    Thank you.
    Yes, Both are L Frame (19.5") Farley 7's.
    Both came with 27.5x 4.5 Gnarwhals Front and Rear.
    I have about a 1/2" room on all sides.


    For the past couple years, Small/Medium frame Farley 5's and 7's came with a 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhal up Front and a 4.5 Barbegazi on the Rear
    The new 2020 Farley 7's S/M changed to a Gnarhwal on the Rear but downsized to a 3.8, likely to allow more clearance for studs.
    ...I think the Farley 5's are still doing Barb's (not sure about the 9.6's) 9.8's are still Barbs Front & Rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20190130_202834.jpg  

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20191120_174505.jpg  

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20191120_174439.jpg  

    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  11. #11
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    ...I think the Farley 5's are still doing Barb's (not sure about the 9.6's) 9.8's are still Barbs Front & Rear.

    I built a M Farley 5 last week. Came with the small Gnar out back. Installed a 4.5 and pumped it WAY up to stretch. 5 days later, with a few rides in, the tire still fits with dropouts all the way back. Not much clearance to corner of seatstays or chainstays tho.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    262
    For the type of snow we get in SE Michigan, I think the Gnarwhal is about perfect. Nearly as much ungroomed traction as Bud and Lou for the storm and few days where there is snow. Studs for when we get the thaw and refreeze where the Bud and Lou combo wouldn’t work for me.

    I don’t run them on dirt if at all possible. That’s what I use the Stache for.

  13. #13
    I need skills
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,067

    go for it

    The road won't hurt the studs. In fact you will want to ride on the road prior to hitting ice, to seat the seats (directions that came with my studded tires).


    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I'm looking at studded tires bigger than my 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags for an earlier Farley 9.6. Most of the time I'd rather have more traction than think I'm a speed racer but those tires with studs would be bigger or knobbier than others in my posse ride. I also like to ride from my driveway that's 2 mi to trailhead.

    Knowing just about any purchase with studs should be an improvement, are studded Gnarwhals going to be miserable riding to trailhead or on good condition days?

    Is this going to be winter version of the times I wonder why I'm on dirt with fat bike vs my trail bike or more fat bike equivalent to having the trail bike with with good size general purpose knobbies vs fast tires?

    I admit to some bias because I know the Trek people behind this stuff. They ride and test stuff on trails I manage. It looks like the tires and studs are readily available but I could be convinced to look at something else.

    Thank you.

    P.S. That 2 mi one way ride to trailhead is mostly pavement. A never gets plowed and always gets trampled foot path climb is part of my search for more traction.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I built a M Farley 5 last week. Came with the small Gnar out back. Installed a 4.5 and pumped it WAY up to stretch. 5 days later, with a few rides in, the tire still fits with dropouts all the way back. Not much clearance to corner of seatstays or chainstays tho.
    I'm sure a 5 is still AL and I've got the plastic frame. I believe two seasons old. It's silver with Jackalope wheels. Maybe this will work but I'm not exactly married to that tire. I recall you posted a bunch of B fat sizes. I'll be looking for that. Still, 3.8 in back an 4.5 in front is a likely improvement to get studs and nothing worse than the Hodag. I'd rather buy a pair the same. What first world problems.

    Thank you.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  15. #15
    Saving lives with knives.
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    958
    No regrets here. I've been through a bunch of tires hand have concluded that Gnarwhal in 27.5 x 4.5 is the best tire you can run especially in the front. There are not a lot studded 27.5x4.5ish options. Up front it is clearly superior to the dillinger 5 in terms of traction. It is slower rolling but the traction is tops. The downside is that it is big...really big, you can't fit it in a bluto. You'll need a wren or mastodon ext to clear the crown with studs.

    I run a studded Gnarwhal in the front and studded dillinger in the back--ride the winter with impunity.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

  16. #16
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Rain turning to snow overnight. Finally installed my 4.5" Gnarwhals. Game on.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    No regrets here. I've been through a bunch of tires hand have concluded that Gnarwhal in 27.5 x 4.5 is the best tire you can run especially in the front. There are not a lot studded 27.5x4.5ish options. Up front it is clearly superior to the dillinger 5 in terms of traction. It is slower rolling but the traction is tops. The downside is that it is big...really big, you can't fit it in a bluto. You'll need a wren or mastodon ext to clear the crown with studs.

    I run a studded Gnarwhal in the front and studded dillinger in the back--ride the winter with impunity.
    You don't need a Mastodon EXT to clear the studs on a 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal,
    The 2018 - 2020 Farley 7's all come with a Standard Comp 34 Mastodon, 80mm travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20190130_202927.jpg  

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-20181220_203110.jpg  

    Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-gnarwhal-vs-barbegazi.jpg  

    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  18. #18
    Saving lives with knives.
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    958
    The arch isn't the issue. it's crown clearance at full compression. I tried both the std and ext at my lbs and at full compression the gnarwhal makes contact with the crown. At full compression there is about 7mm of clearance between the knobs and crown with the EXT. Checkout the mastodon thread on this.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    The arch isn't the issue. it's crown clearance at full compression. I tried both the std and ext at my lbs and at full compression the gnarwhal makes contact with the crown. At full compression there is about 7mm of clearance between the knobs and crown with the EXT. Checkout the mastodon thread on this.
    The Farley 7's that come with a Mastodon Comp fork are Factory set for 80mm travel (3.15")
    There is no way the tire can make contact with my crown, there's 4" clear from top of a studded knob to crown.

    If it was possible for the tire to contact the crown hard under normal conditions,
    Wouldn't Trek be in serious legal trouble if someone went over their handlebars?

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-mastodon_farley7.png  

    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  20. #20
    Saving lives with knives.
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    958
    Now I don't know for sure, but judging from your photos, it suggests that trek fits the EXT version on their bikes set to 80mm of travel-- or perhaps some other proprietary tune to clear the tire. If memory serves, the previous farley 7 had a bluto 100mm (please correct me if I am mistaken) and it came with 3.8" tires. The AC distance on the 100 mm bluto and the 80 Mastodon EXT are about the same and that would preserve the stock geo of the farley.

    I'm just reporting what I have found, believe me I would've preferred the shorter AC at 120mm travel. Checkout the Mastodon thread, there is at least 2 reports of people running these tires on the STD version and it's left its mark on the crown. I would find it for you on my own but the thread is 8 pages long.

    Suffice it to say, if you are planning running this combo as an aftermarket setup you need to do your research: You are likely going to have buy the EXT version or put a bottom out spacer in the STD version to make sure your studs don't contact the crown.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Now I don't know for sure, but judging from your photos, it suggests that trek fits the EXT version on their bikes set to 80mm of travel-- or perhaps some other proprietary tune to clear the tire. If memory serves, the previous farley 7 had a bluto 100mm (please correct me if I am mistaken) and it came with 3.8" tires. The AC distance on the 100 mm bluto and the 80 Mastodon EXT are about the same and that would preserve the stock geo of the farley.

    I'm just reporting what I have found, believe me I would've preferred the shorter AC at 120mm travel. Checkout the Mastodon thread, there is at least 2 reports of people running these tires on the STD version and it's left its mark on the crown. I would find it for you on my own but the thread is 8 pages long.

    Suffice it to say, if you are planning running this combo as an aftermarket setup you need to do your research: You are likely going to have buy the EXT version or put a bottom out spacer in the STD version to make sure your studs don't contact the crown.
    I have a 2018 Farley 7 (Red) with a Mastodon, which was the first year for a Farley with a suspension fork and a 27.5 wheel
    ...and a new 2020 Farley 7 (Orange), both setup with the same Mastodon settings (80mm travel)
    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  22. #22
    Saving lives with knives.
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    958
    Man I had to check % on my beer... could've sworn I rode a blue one with a bluto in late 2015. Apparently the 2016 farley 9 came with a 100 mm bluto. I have the 2015 9.6.

    https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...rley_9/details


    https://www.thebikeshoppe.com/produc...9-232503-1.htm

    Either way, AC for bluto 100 mm is 511 mm, same as 80mm Mastodon EXT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any B (27.5) studded Gnarwhal regrets?-output.jpg  

    Formerly known as iceaxe

  23. #23
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Man I had to check % on my beer... could've sworn I rode a blue one with a bluto in late 2015. Apparently the 2016 farley 9 came with a 100 mm bluto. I have the 2015 9.6.

    https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...rley_9/details


    https://www.thebikeshoppe.com/produc...9-232503-1.htm


    Either way, AC for bluto 100 mm is 511 mm, same as 80mm Mastodon EXT.


    FWIW, the 4.5" Gnarwhal's (getting back to the title of this thread) don't even come close to fitting in Bluto. Honestly not sure if the smaller Gnar's fit either.

  24. #24
    Saving lives with knives.
    Reputation: frank daleview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    958
    Sorry, this thread was forked over
    Formerly known as iceaxe

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Man I had to check % on my beer... could've sworn I rode a blue one with a bluto in late 2015. Apparently the 2016 farley 9 came with a 100 mm bluto. I have the 2015 9.6.

    https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...rley_9/details


    https://www.thebikeshoppe.com/produc...9-232503-1.htm

    Either way, AC for bluto 100 mm is 511 mm, same as 80mm Mastodon EXT.
    How many of those Farleys cane with 27.5 wheel/tires?
    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive|2020 Farley 7 Roarange|2018 Farley 7 ViperRed

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Sorry, this thread was forked over
    No problem here. It's fun to learn and nice when people figure things out.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    How many of those Farleys cane with 27.5 wheel/tires?
    I'm sure 2016 Farley 9s were/are the same 27.5 Jackalope with 3.8 Hodag tires I have with the 9.6 and I recall less space with the Bluto forks than I have with 26 x 3.8 Hodag and a Bluto.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El_Topo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I built a M Farley 5 last week. Came with the small Gnar out back. Installed a 4.5 and pumped it WAY up to stretch. 5 days later, with a few rides in, the tire still fits with dropouts all the way back. Not much clearance to corner of seatstays or chainstays tho.
    Would you say that based on this, that a studded 4.5" (Gnarwhal or D5, the CE likely won't I assume) tire on the 95mm rims you posted here will fit into a 17.5" Carbon Farley or only in the Aluminium ones?
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

  28. #28
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Topo View Post
    Would you say that based on this, that a studded 4.5" (Gnarwhal or D5, the CE likely won't I assume) tire on the 95mm rims you posted here will fit into a 17.5" Carbon Farley or only in the Aluminium ones?

    They are two different frames.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    An update. My trail building sponsor shop suggested said bring the bike in and throw wheels with stretched tires in it. By the time I got there a D5 and new L Farley with Gnarwhal went out the door but a bigger Bargagazzi and studded 3.8 had plenty of room.

    The shop manager noticed black Gnarwhal in stock again and a whole 10 grams lighter. I didn't care but he said he always prefers to order a newer version when it comes to tires.

    Some employees were convinced the AL and not plastic medium have more of a fit issue.

    Mike made a very gracious offer to help make sure I get the right item but hope he understands my loyalty to the in town independent shop that is a major contributor to the trails I manage and constant promoter of riders being contributing members. Also one of those shops that always has vital repair items and expertise. I still lust after Mike's wheel building and hope to be a customer.

    My riding pals mostly have Dillingers but the dudes at the the shop with those in wrong size for me and Cake Eaters in stock said as mostly non-racers and all the time any conditions riders they love the Gnarwhal tires. I guess I'll find out. I do have faster tires on the older Farley 8.

    Thank you.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  30. #30
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    I always, always encourage people to support their local shops. I'm here mostly for those that don't have a local shop, or for whom the local shop doesn't know (or isn't interested in learning about) much about the niche items at the sharp end of the market.

    Glad you got sorted.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    171
    Do you guys think the ryolithe 27.5 rim is too narrow for the 27.5 x 4.5 gnarwhal?

    70mm outside and 64mm inside dimension i think...

  32. #32
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Do you guys think the ryolithe 27.5 rim is too narrow for the 27.5 x 4.5 gnarwhal?

    70mm outside and 64mm inside dimension i think...

    Depends on what you want it to do, and what you *expect* it to do.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    171
    Groomed trails, no fresh or deep snow, I have a set for that stuff. I am just worry the side lugs will never engage properly if the tire is too round due to the narrow rims.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Do you guys think the ryolithe 27.5 rim is too narrow for the 27.5 x 4.5 gnarwhal?

    70mm outside and 64mm inside dimension i think...
    Should be absolutely no problem, including engagement of side knobs. The main factors to consider are air pressure and sidewall suppleness and height. At low pressures round tires might feel more squirmy than a more “square” profile. On the other hand that square profile is responsible for that annoying self steer.

    Everything involving tires is about compromise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  35. #35
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Should be absolutely no problem, including engagement of side knobs. The main factors to consider are air pressure and sidewall suppleness and height. At low pressures round tires might feel more squirmy than a more “square” profile. On the other hand that square profile is responsible for that annoying self steer.

    Everything involving tires is about compromise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Self steer has more to do with stiff wall tires than rim width. I have Bud/Lou on 80 and 100's with no self steer down to 1.5 psi...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Self steer has more to do with stiff wall tires than rim width. I have Bud/Lou on 80 and 100's with no self steer down to 1.5 psi...
    Not quite. Self steer is mainly due to the profile of the tire that makes contact with the ground. And a wider rim will create more contact. Soft sidewalls will also help in this regard.

    Regardless how wide the rim is, if the tire on it is round, there will be no self steer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  37. #37
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Not quite. Self steer is mainly due to the profile of the tire that makes contact with the ground. And a wider rim will create more contact. Soft sidewalls will also help in this regard.

    Regardless how wide the rim is, if the tire on it is round, there will be no self steer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Things that lend to self steer...

    Casing layup
    TPI
    Durometer of tread cap
    Tread pattern to a lesser extent
    Rim width, if you put a 4.8 on an i45...

    There I said it!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Not quite. Self steer is mainly due to the profile of the tire that makes contact with the ground. And a wider rim will create more contact. Soft sidewalls will also help in this regard.

    Regardless how wide the rim is, if the tire on it is round, there will be no self steer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do sense the gyroscope effect with the big wheels but otherwise yes. When a lot of tread is flat on ground - not snow - is when self steer can really be a bother.

    FYI and closer to topic, at 25-30 PSI with a tube the new Gnarwhal 4.5 leaves 6 mm either side for minimum clearance. A more reasonable 10 psi but new tire leaves about 10 mm where the outermost studs will go so I'm taking the risk these are okay with the medium plastic frame and Jackalope wheels. They are monsters compared to the 3.8 Hodag.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I do sense the gyroscope effect with the big wheels but otherwise yes. When a lot of tread is flat on ground - not snow - is when self steer can really be a bother.

    FYI and closer to topic, at 25-30 PSI with a tube the new Gnarwhal 4.5 leaves 6 mm either side for minimum clearance. A more reasonable 10 psi but new tire leaves about 10 mm where the outermost studs will go so I'm taking the risk these are okay with the medium plastic frame and Jackalope wheels. They are monsters compared to the 3.8 Hodag.
    I did not realize the 4.5 Gnarwhal would fit in the back. Are you talking about the Suzi Q frame and 27.5 Jakalope?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I did not realize the 4.5 Gnarwhal would fit in the back. Are you talking about the Suzi Q frame and 27.5 Jakalope?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The frame is a medium Farley 9.6 with 27.5 Jackalope wheels.

    It was my wife's bike but she preferred the Farley 8. My first impressions with a brief test have me thinking she'll want the 9.6 now. With dropouts all the way back, studs in and 10 PSI or less there's 10-11 mm of clearance at seat stays.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    The frame is a medium Farley 9.6 with 27.5 Jackalope wheels.

    It was my wife's bike but she preferred the Farley 8. My first impressions with a brief test have me thinking she'll want the 9.6 now. With dropouts all the way back, studs in and 10 PSI or less there's 10-11 mm of clearance at seat stays.
    Aha, a Farley! Because I doubt the Suzi Q can take a 4.5 Gnarwhal rear, even on the 65 mm rim.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Yes, Both are L Frame (19.5") Farley 7's.
    Both came with 27.5x 4.5 Gnarwhals Front and Rear.
    I have about a 1/2" room on all sides.


    For the past couple years, Small/Medium frame Farley 5's and 7's came with a 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhal up Front and a 4.5 Barbegazi on the Rear
    The new 2020 Farley 7's S/M changed to a Gnarhwal on the Rear but downsized to a 3.8, likely to allow more clearance for studs.
    ...I think the Farley 5's are still doing Barb's (not sure about the 9.6's) 9.8's are still Barbs Front & Rear.
    Your last pic of looks much like our 17.5 plastic frame with the 4.5 Gnarwhals. I can fit a 10 mm hex wrench width at the tightest spot. More and more I wonder if the issue is plastic vs recycled beer cans frame or this early 2016 bike. My Jackalope rims have a 6/15/15 sticker inside so an early model.

    A quick test ride has me thinking this will no longer be a hardly used bike.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    With natural snow FINALLY here I figured I'd do an update. For a while I thought the big Gnarwhals were too slow but that was from riding on too much frozen dirt. With not so packed and packed trails I have no regrets. They've made the Farley 9.6 what I wanted in the first place.

    The Gnarwhals did not feel like dragging an anchor riding with others who all had studded but different big or smaller tires. They had traction where others slipped. That was for rear wheel traction and holding in off camber or iced rock garden riding.

    I got what the dealer said is a latest revision or new part number. I think it's more about high thread count but they have no wet sidewalls like the OEM Hodag tires get in both sizes.

    On the studs, some of my riding posse chose specific studs and tires for stud performance. It doesn't seem like my nothing exotic Bontrager studs are lacking. Before snow we rode on ice an now snow covered ice.

    Basically, I got exactly what I hoped for. Probably not for racers but great handle anything tires. Great alternatives or opposites of the 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags. With conditions rarely as good as I'd like (and I'm a groomer, trail steward) this is a great setup.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  44. #44
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    The big Gnar's are unlikely to win any races or pissing contests, but they're super capable and confidence inspiring in a range of conditions.

    For local rides I wouldn't use anything else up front. I've been experimenting with a (same size) D5 out back, but I can't say it's any faster in the conditions we're getting, and it certainly gives up climbing traction on the steepest stuff.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    480
    Bought a pair of the Gnarwhals 27.5 x 4.5 and (2) boxs of the studs during Trek's black friday sale for my 2016 Farley 9, just waiting for it to finally snow in Eastern Pa. Should I ride around on the street to seat the studs in even though they look like they are all in place properly ?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    337
    Two rides in two nights on the 27.5 x 3.8 Gnarwhals studded:

    Last night: Theo Wirth in MSP. Conditions where packed snow, to icy packed snow to icy. Tire is amazing in these conditions and just rip. These seems to be what most of winter is lately... My buddy on his non studded bike was sliding around more than he cared to.

    This evening: Murphy in Savage. Conditions are 1" of fresh powder snow over hard pack and ice. Had zero traction issues anywhere. Could see where a couple other folks where struggling up some of the hills and where it was more "icy" under the snow. 100% confidence


    I am starting to think this is the most rounded tire for winter use. As it covers 90+% of all riding conditions I see here in the Twin Cities. Only on the days we get a lot of snow, are the 5.05's really needed. Or when breaking in new trail. Any of the trails that see any kind of traffic, I can get by with the 3.8's This tire is everything the nate and vanhelga are, plus it is studded.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

  47. #47
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    I am starting to think this is the most rounded tire for winter use. As it covers 90+% of all riding conditions I see here in the Twin Cities. Only on the days we get a lot of snow, are the 5.05's really needed. Or when breaking in new trail. Any of the trails that see any kind of traffic, I can get by with the 3.8's This tire is everything the nate and vanhelga are, plus it is studded.

    Pretty much agreed for thin snow/high traffic use.

    I'll never be able to let go of my 2XL bike because we get so much new snow and have almost no traffic. But when I go ride faster/firmer places they are overkill, and there I reach for the Gnarwhal wheelset.

    Can't yet say I've needed the studs, but maybe they've already saved my ass, and me a big ER bill. Cheap insurance...

  48. #48
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,894
    I studded a pair of the Bfat 3.8 Gnars with studs pulled from a pair of old Nokia Freddie’s Revenz that had broken beads. They are the most awesome studded tires I’ve ever used, other than the Freddies themselves. They are noisy as hell on ice or pavement though!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Pretty much agreed for thin snow/high traffic use.

    I'll never be able to let go of my 2XL bike because we get so much new snow and have almost no traffic. But when I go ride faster/firmer places they are overkill, and there I reach for the Gnarwhal wheelset.

    Can't yet say I've needed the studs, but maybe they've already saved my ass, and me a big ER bill. Cheap insurance...
    My observation on "insurance". My usual posse did a group ride. 4 of us with the two sizes and all of them studded Gnarwhall and Dillinger. It was very obvious none of us were following the sideways and messed up tracks where it was off camber or icy. Bringing up the rear in a less packed spot I could see the wider tires weren't wandering or struggling if in the soft stuff.

    In a very much sculpted dirt and roller area I know super well - I'm the trail steward - I can actually pump the bike where that used to get me in trouble, pain and in one instance did bike damage.

    The most important thing to stress for anyone wondering about this tire and especially if you can fit the 4.5 tires is having no regrets as far as speed or general self-motoring along. No fat biking is the speed and thrill like our trail type bikes nor covering ground the way our Fargo and Sutra bikes can. This is a big jump in "got your back" without any regrets for a longer or faster winter trail ride. The pal with 3.8 studded Gnarwhal seemed to have an edge over the one with Dillinger 4 in an ice covered partially exposed rock garden and short steep up sections so don't discount that tire if you can't fit the 4.5.

    If you're in an area like ours where icy and/or freeze/thaw cycles happen get studs no matter what.

    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,044
    Name:  no ragrets.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  6.8 KB
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

  51. #51
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Name:  no ragrets.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  6.8 KB

    Ragrets are extra extra large, super mean fish eaters, right?

Similar Threads

  1. Bontrager Gnarwhal 27.5 x 3.8" tires for sale.
    By mikesee in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM
  2. Bontrager Gnarwhal 27.5 x 3.8" tires for sale.
    By mikesee in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 10:58 AM
  3. Salsa MUKLUK GNARWHAL 27,5х4,5
    By KonstantinSPb in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2019, 03:10 PM
  4. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 12-26-2017, 01:39 PM
  5. Bontrager Gnarwhal TLR - 27.5 studded tire review
    By the_eleven in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 79

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.