(Another) Fat Fender Project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

(Another) Fat Fender Project

This is also published in my blog, but for more feedback I decided to put it here too.

Back when I was in the process of purchasing my 907, I had already plans for all the accessories for the bike, and one of them were full coverage fenders. Winters are not always like they were in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011. Here in Southern Finland the conditions usually varies between rain, slush and snow. I have recently done my commutes with the 907 and I can tell you that full coverage fenders are the only way to go. On the other hand, I have cyclocross bike with full coverage fenders, so why I would do commutes with a fatbike, even in late fall with no snow or slush? There are plenty of reasons that I will cover later on a seperate blog post.

The only problem still is that nobody makes fenders for fatbikes, and I consider that as a suprise because there is clearly a "fatbike boom" going on. Anyway, the only solution for the problem at the moment is of course DIY fenders. A fairly popular choice has been a hack of Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders, like done here, here and here. That was initially also my plan, but Cascadia 29er fenders are currently hard to get and the price for them is slightly high at 55$. I figured out a lot cheaper option with Biltema 28" fenders. But, the problem with those is the profile that is completely round:

Attaching material to them could be difficult. Fortunately there are other alternatives for DYI fenders, like glass-fiber, but those are quite hard-working and time-consuming. I then visited a local plater and asked if he could make fenders from aluminum plate. He could:

These are 100mm wide, and light, front fender at 196 g and read at 339 g. But I did a mistake as I didn't take into consideration that they won't fit into front fork and chainstays. I modified the front fender to fit into fork:

Not too bad for a prototype. The same thing for the rear fender would be more difficult. I will make new fenders that are narrower, making the middle section 60mm wide and both sides 20-25mm and then I will bend the sides upwards to cover the whole 100mm width. This way they will fit easily into fork and frame, look better and they will be even lighter. And of course I will then paint them.

In the meantime the rear fender is hacked this way:

It's too early to say I could start production of the 'aluminum plate concept' fat fenders but the concept is pretty promising:

Pros:
    - Affordable
    - Light
    - Durable
    - Custom colors

Cons:
    - Not the most beautiful but have to wait and see for the improved ones
    - ?, you name it
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

mtbr member
    Have you considered motorcycle alloy fenders?

I'm using the plastic fenders that are made for trials motorbikes, and they just need a bit of modification from a heat gun. I'm thinking of trying the alloy fenders because they'd be a bit lighter.

I think this is one of the most important mods you can make to a fatbike if you're going to ride in slush (or dung laden mud ) because it helps preserve your body heat if you're not continually sprayed with water at 0C.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Moon Child
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Fresno, I considered that. Got one like it on the front of my motorbike (R100GS).

They cost a lot more than the trials guards I use though.

I did try it for size and it would come close to being a good fit.

The attraction of Toni's idea is that his mudguards/fenders are nice and light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Mudgaurds like these...
    Yup. Quite like the idea of shiny alloy guards. (Sucker for shiny light things)

mtbr member
    Mudgaurds like these velobike?

Universal Aluminium Mudguards

These would look nice on a purple pugsley

These plastic universal ones are cheaper and in colours, I think it is these Gary Buckham used;

Universal Front Mudguard
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Smash Mode: ON
    Where did you source those support rods? I have a bunch of carbon and epoxy laying around that is just begging to become a set of fenders but I wasn't sure where to get those rods from. Cool project...

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Where did you source those support rods? I have a bunch of carbon and epoxy laying around that is just begging to become a set of fenders but I wasn't sure where to get those rods from. Cool project...
    I was able to make custom stays from small diameter 6061 aluminum tubing. Polished up real nice too. Pictures to come soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ive just ordered 2 of the plastic ones from sammy miller - in orange to hopefully match my 907

just need some alu stays ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    ...just need some alu stays ?
    Pop into B&Q and buy some 6mm aluminium tube. Crush the ends flat in a vice and then drill a hole.

It's as easy as that and cheap.

You can also buy some flat strip to cut up and put under the stays to reinforce the mudguard.

If you follow the pics in this Flickr set, you'll see the various steps.

BTW it's a good idea to have a suitably large washer to protect the plastic if you are going to bolt it up under the fork crown. Otherwise the metal will cut into the plastic and weaken the guard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post

I'm using the plastic fenders that are made for trials motorbikes, and they just need a bit of modification from a heat gun. I'm thinking of trying the alloy fenders because they'd be a bit lighter.
    Yes, I considered pretty much every alternative there is. Your red plastic fenders would fit nicely to my 907, but I really want the full coverage a la Cascadia-style.

I think this is one of the most important mods you can make to a fatbike if you're going to ride in slush (or dung laden mud ) because it helps preserve your body heat if you're not continually sprayed with water at 0C.
    You are absolutely right here Velobike. You stay drier, warmer and cleaner.

mtbr member
    The support rods / stays came with the cheap Biltema 28" fenders. Similar stays should be available from SKS as spare parts if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Lund View Post
    The only problem still is that nobody makes fenders for fatbikes, and I consider that as a suprise because there is clearly a "fatbike boom" going on.
    This guy does:
    Surly Pugsley Fenders [PATTERN ID #42] - $215.00 : Woodys Custom Cycling Fenders

mtbr member
    Well, I was aware of those, and he indeed does them. Certainly the most beautiful fenders out there, but way too expensive.

mtbr member
    If you have some wood working skills, you can make your own wooden fenders, I made two sets, I'd like to make another some day now that I have a table saw. I took some photos a long the way. I think if I were to do this again, I'd make a wooden form for them instead of using the wheel as a form.

Wooden fenders - a set on Flickr

1st wooden bicycle fenders are on the bike! by bobbotron1, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    If you have some wood working skills, you can make your own wooden fenders, I made two sets, I'd like to make another some day now that I have a table saw. I took some photos a long the way. I think if I were to do this again, I'd make a wooden form for them instead of using the wheel as a form.
    Any idea how much they weigh?

mtbr member
    From my blog:

My Fat Fender Project has progressed well. Last week the local plater did narrower fenders for me:

The new ones are slightly longer for even better protection. Not much difference in weights, the rear fender is a little lighter now:

Today I had time to paint them. I purchased spray paints from a local miscellaneous store. The paints are manufactured by Maston, which happens to be a Finnish company, and the paints are the COLORmix series. For good results I chose a primer paint, the actual color paint (red!) and a glossy lacquer.

First the primer:

Then the red color and the lacquer:

At home in better environment:

Looks pretty good, doesn't they? The weights after painting: 204g / 319g.

Now I let them dry properly and I will make the hardware next week and then install them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Lund View Post
    Any idea how much they weigh?
    Sorry, I'm not sure, I don't have a scale. Wasn't a concern when I made them. They seem to weigh about the same as polycarbonate fenders or lighter, but I could be mistaken.

mtbr member
    Great job, Toni, I applaud your originality!

I'm just about finished with a set of split Planet Bike Cascadia's and despite my best efforts to keep them light, I've been surprised at how heavy they've become as the build has progressed. You've managed to come up with a very lightweight fender solution.

A Surly Maverick
    Very cool Fenders
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    At first I thought, well..they look "homemade". But, this second set, with the paint, look great. I am looking to see them mounted on the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for the comments!

Well, I have to say myself that the first prototype is ugly compared to new ones. There is a 7 day drying time for the paint, and I can hardly wait!

mtbr member
    Just discovered a design feature I need to add to my fenders. A removable section just behind the seattube.

Today my wheels were packing up so much that they would not turn on a few occasions.

mtbr member
    My Fat Fender Project is completed, from the blog:

It's sunday, and the seven day drying time is over. Time to make the mounting hardware and put all together.

The front fender with the mounting hardware, 316 g.

The rear fender:

Two screws and bolts missed from that one, the real weight is 478 g.

After plenty of drilling, bending, riveting and screwing, MK2 is ready:

Pretty time consuming project after all, but I hope it's worth it. The paint won't probably last very well as I didn't grind the surface of aluminum plate before painting. There are already a couple of scratches. If the fenders look too bad after the winter, I will probably do a new set of fenders and powder coat them.

There is not a lot of room in the chainstays of 2011 9:Zero:7 frame, so on slush and heavy snow conditions the rear fender could be clogged, but this shouldn't be an issue when doing regular commuting.

The fenders appear very firm, thanks to many attachment points. The MK1 was a little flimsy and noisy, so it's interesting to see if these are more silent.

mtbr member
    Wow, they're very light for a set of fat fenders. Great job, Toni.

Smash Mode: ON
    Just discovered a design feature I need to add to my fenders. A removable section just behind the seattube.

Today my wheels were packing up so much that they would not turn on a few occasions.
    Removable so you can unclog and reassemble or removable so you can run with that section off? Also, how much clearance do you have in the section that was binding?? I have a prototype set ready to pop off the molds and that was a part of the design that was bringing me to some serious head scratching.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Removable so you can unclog and reassemble or removable so you can run with that section off?...
    Both.

Generally I set up mudguards so that the closest the mudguard comes to the tyre is at the rear edge. This helps to prevent wedges of muck building up.

Looking at my setup, I have a constriction where the mudguard come down to the chain. I moulded that bit in to clear the chain and to protect the chain from slush).

However I think it may be better to have a cutout there and forget protecting the chain. The cutout would eliminate the restriction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    Wow, they're very light for a set of fat fenders. Great job, Toni.
    Thanks! I can confirm that these MK2 fenders are a lot more silent than the previous MK1.

There is however another DIY project looming for me...:

Toni Lund - Adventure cyclist: Extreme commuting?

RidetoLive,BuildtoRide
    are these both front fenders and you modified your front by trimming it down? These are really cheap!
    I'm only as fast as the previous nights 12 pack, and as crazy as Einstein

www.cyclinglyfestyle.blogspot.com
    http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    it's amazing idea like in Scotland , I am waiting your riding video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

I'm using the plastic fenders that are made for trials motorbikes,
    Velobike - I've seen a couple other pics similar to yours, on a 26 fat. There are a bunch of google hits for 'trials bike fenders' etc, but I've had difficulty finding one that will clearly fit.

I'm running 26x5, seems like a lot of the trials bikes are '21" ' ? (although not sure how that's speced; rim size like cars, effective diameter like bikes; and what about width)

Any links you might be able to share of something that would definitely work? Whats your pic above, 4" tires?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    Velobike - I've seen a couple other pics similar to yours, on a 26 fat. There are a bunch of google hits for 'trials bike fenders' etc, but I've had difficulty finding one that will clearly fit.

I'm running 26x5, seems like a lot of the trials bikes are '21" ' ? (although not sure how that's speced; rim size like cars, effective diameter like bikes; and what about width)

Any links you might be able to share of something that would definitely work? Whats your pic above, 4" tires?

Thanks!
    I use the rear mudguard/fender.

They're wide enough to cover the 5" Buds on my carbon bike.

This is where I get them https://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandt...uard-Rear.html

Being for trial motorbike use, they are very tough but light. I have crashed many times and they still keep their shape without any splitting or cracking. I've gone through a set of stays though, so I now make them out of larger diameter tubing. Also they do not rattle like some of the commercial kits.

Nutrailer
    After seeing Velobike's pics I added a similiar rear guard to mine but from a different source;

Universal front fender cross-enduro (1960-1974) | MD Racing Products

I've cut a slot in the guard and a line of 8mm holes so I can use cable ties to secure it to my bike's seat stay bridge and seat post.

(I've since removed the stay bars as they weren't really needed).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Another) Fat Fender Project-rear-guard-270917.jpg  

(Another) Fat Fender Project-photo_20170808_114851.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What size tires is that bike, how wide is the fender?

Nutrailer
    The tires are 4.8 Jumbo Jims and the guard is approx 5" wide, here's a better view;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Another) Fat Fender Project-rear-view.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    The tires are 4.8 Jumbo Jims and the guard is approx 5" wide,
    Thanks! Those look like they offer more coverage (length) than VeloBike's, which I need at least for the rear.

Their website isn't let me ship them to the US so I've emailed them for a quote. WHY are all these fenders, and apparently trials bike co's only from the UK. It's not like it is always dry here; actually its wet as hell in the winter where I"m originally from on the west coast (usa)!!

mtbr member
    I really love my Big O fenders! They are full coverage.

4" Complete Fender Kit - Big O Manufacturing
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member

Big O Fenders

(Another) Fat Fender Project-img_3275.jpg

I bought the single fenders and trimmed them myself and made my own hardware out of arrow shafts/inserts, 8/32 SS screws, rc hobby heim joint ends, and some alloy spacers.

They work great!
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail