Another Custom Full Suspension Fatty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another Custom Full Suspension Fatty

I have had this frame laying around for a while, and always wanted to make a fatbike from it. When a buddy of mine got me the fork to play around with, the build was on!

Here is the killer part: The bottom bracket is a standard 68x127.5 square taper, and the cranks are Alivio. There is only clearance for 1 chain ring, but the Q is nice and narrow for a fat bike. There is still room in the back for a 4.0 on a 100mm rim!

Its not quite done, I am looking at making a new rear shock mount so that I can lower the BB some. This will also slacken the head angle a bit. I also need to find my remote for the dropper and hook that to the front shifter, and change the cassette since the old XT derailer doesn't like the 42t.

Right now the head angle is 67 degrees, BB to rear axle is 19 1/4, wheelbase is 45 3/8, and bottom bracket height is 16 5/8 (WAY TOO HIGH).

Rear travel is 150mm, and front is 120mm. Weight is 46.0 pounds, and could be brought down quite a bit with better tires and a regular seat post.

PICS:

Chainline:

Clearance:

mtbr member
    looks pretty badass

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Awesome

Have fun with that beast!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What was the original BB height? I assume this frame was for 26x2._ tires, and that contributes significantly to the rise.

I'd look to equate the new to the old BB drop from the axle.

There are wider JIS BB axles, but it starts to get spendy.

mtbr member
    Originally there wasn't really much of a BB drop. I think the added height is from the longer travel fork, and the taller tires.

Here is a pic from when it was Skinny:

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now that is one cool looking fat bike!

Very cool on the chain line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks awesome and agreed, the chain line looks amazing. I'm still not quite sure how that should work! One thing I'm curious about is how did you widen the rear to fit the bigger tyre?

mtbr member
    I didn't widen the rear, I just made a completely new one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, I was kinda looking at doing that exact same thing, but since I have no idea in welding or fabricating, I was going to see if I could find a frame with a modular back end, with a triangle that bolts together as opposed to being welded together because it seems it would be relatively straightforward in getting the neccesary bits fabricated by a machinist. I'm curious, is this what you did?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What materials did you build the new triangle out of? I really do like the looks of these older style bikes and those fat tires on there just look so cool.

mtbr member
    I think that for your idea to work, you would need to start with a 29er. That way, hopefully, the chain and seat stays would be long enough already, and you would only have to widen.

I just got some steel tubing and went to work on mine. Its completely scratch made, except for the brake mount and the derailed hanger that I cut off a cheapie walmart bike.

All fat, all the time.
    Right now the head angle is 67 degrees, BB to rear axle is 19 1/4, wheelbase is 45 3/8, and bottom bracket height is 16 5/8 (WAY TOO HIGH).

Rear travel is 150mm, and front is 120mm. Weight is 46.0 pounds,

So, how does it ride?? Cool to see home-made fatties, but sounds a bit scary to fly through the woods on

mtbr member
    we will find out on friday!!! ill report back!

mtbr member
    I took this bike for about an 8 mile ride today on mostly single track. It rides OK, but not great. Its too tall, and it feels like the head angle is too steep. So the plan is to make another rear end that will lower the bottom bracket a couple inches. This will also slacken the front end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    I think that for your idea to work, you would need to start with a 29er. That way, hopefully, the chain and seat stays would be long enough already, and you would only have to widen.

I just got some steel tubing and went to work on mine. Its completely scratch made, except for the brake mount and the derailed hanger that I cut off a cheapie walmart bike.

That looks utterly amazing! Seriously, kudos to you, I will really wish I had the know how and tools to do that, I would just be going crazy aha. What equipment do you really need to do that, as in construct the rear triangle and weld it together?

That's actually a better idea, problem with it though is that 29er full sus frames are quite hard to find (I was going to buy used) and they are not as burly as a full on downhill 26er frame. I'm looking for a Downhill frame with a 1.5" headtube, 83mm bottom bracket and a wide as possible rear end. I have a set of Monster Ts which I was going to get the crowns remade to fit a 150mm front hub, and a 1.5" steerer, just for the sake of it being huge haha.

What I was going to do originally is find a frame with a modular triangle like this:
    477001d1250469228-picked-up-turner-5-spot-ftm-orange-frame.jpg

and get the individual chainstays machined then bolt it all up together as opposed to welding it (:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    What equipment do you really need to do that, as in construct the rear triangle and weld it together?
    Not that much really. Tape measure, protractor, sharpie, grinder with a cut off wheel, flap disc, and grinding wheel, and a welder. And patience not to rush it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    TB approved!
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    So cool.