The Angus Glens: part 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Angus Glens: part 2

Name:  33357114876_0f8fba5d33.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  91.2 KB

After refuelling and resting at the Glen Clova hotel, which exists in a strange-but-refreshing-for-the-21st-century wifi and phone signal free zone, the stage was set for day 2. On joining the crew, the plan was to take the Minister's path from Glen Clova over to Glen Prosen and from there, climb on estate tracks before joining the Kilbo path and then we had two options.

Either we could take the 'barely-track' across the shoulder of Mayar - a rounded Munro standing sentinel at the top of Corrie Fee, before trying to drop into the Corrie itself, or we could continue through the Shank of Drumwhallow and down the Kilbo path back to base.

On ascending from Glen Prosen, we were treated to mountain hares, a lifting cloud-base and extensive views of the glens heading north. However, we also began to suffer through deeper, slushy snow that impeded progress - no matter the tyre width.

After re-grouping at the crest of the Kilbo path, the option to head across country to Corrie Fee was quickly cast aside due to the 30+ cm of snow packed in amongst tussocky grassland, peat bog and interspersed with standing water and ice.

We had tried to ride the Kilbo path in entirety previously, but had missed a junction and continued down a vague track on the edge of the cliff that surrounds Corrie Sharroch. This time, we intended to find the correct trail.

Well, we did and were slightly put out to find that the deep, steep track ahead of us was in essence a snow filled chute. Lacking fear or dignity, we set off, crashing ass over tea kettle, skidding through 90 degrees without warning and accompanied by the banshee-wailing of brakes. The most successful method appeared to be tri-poding with the inside, left leg at risk of being jammed into spaces between rocks, hidden under the snow. Far from the peerless descent we had hoped, it nevertheless gave us much mirth as we eventually slithered our way into the trees at the head of Glen Doll.

The trail from here was a blast - rocky, rooty, winding and steep, we hooted and hollered as we savoured this final drop.

At one point, Chris and Gareth came past me at head height. I tried to break out the camera to snap some action shots but the resultant blur is not worth putting in the public domain and in some ways, that probably signifies how much fun there is to be had in the Angus Glens.

Several of the pictures here were taken by fellow Moulineer, Marty and I am indebted to him for allowing me to use them in this post.

Last edited by dRjOn; 03-30-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post

Dr. you need to carry along a proper vessel for that sort of drinking.

Once again, very much enjoying your stories.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Great write-up and pics! Thanks
    We need more like this
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

beer thief
    great stuff, doc. Thank you again

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A proper adventure.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

Thingamejigger
    Two questions.... what's the bike? Looks like a fat jones... and also looks like and interesting pack your sporting in the 'tri-podding' picture, what is it?

Ace storey, thanks for sharing, always great to see gods country through a camera lens!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kind words, all.

flyingscotsman ---

It is a Vertigo Cycles Fat bike, but in the picture, it has a 27.5x3.8 minion front, 27.5x3 chronicle rear.

The bike is low, slack and has a pretty short back end. Lots of rad features - my fav being the 120 ish press fit bb shell... Sean - who is Vertigo - is a wizard...I cant recommend him highly enough. The bike has telepathic handling....

Here it is in fat mode...

The Angus Glens: part 2-32696807564_0bf76745eb_z.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Two questions.... what's the bike? Looks like a fat jones... and also looks like and interesting pack your sporting in the 'tri-podding' picture, what is it?

Ace storey, thanks for sharing, always great to see gods country through a camera lens!
    The pack is a High Above bum bag (as we used to call them back in the 90's)...i make a lot of my own bags, but there were several features of this bag that caught my eye. It is awesome.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Curious I am, was your's the fattest tires of the group?

- no matter the tyre width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Curious I am, was your's the fattest tires of the group?
    yep..

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yep..
    Thanks!