mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Aeffect fat bike cranks

Are no longer listed on RF's site - a lot of people seemed to be using them and they are a good option for a low cost, bomb proof crank.....

Anyone able to shed any light on why they have been dropped??

turtles make me hot
    Oh no. Subscribed.

They come stock on Wednesdays and Ice Cream Trucks. Hopefully they just have to make more and they aren't discontinued.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a tough time getting Turbine cinch 190s a few months ago....
    RF....would not say when they were getting them.
    Same with Aeffects.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has rf been owned by fox for a while, or is that new? If new, that could explain things. Pure speculation (shocking, I know)

Wanna ride bikes?
    The Raceface Ride crank is now a DM Cinch crank. I saw one at my LBS a couple weeks ago but I can't remember if it was a fatbike or a normal MTB?

Maybe they're revamping their crank lineup?

Edit: can someone write Shimano a letter and tell them to get on board already!?!?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Edit: can someone write Shimano a letter and tell them to get on board already!?!?
    I must say that I have had better experience with the race face cranks than Shimano and similar arm systems that use a preload cap on the one end; I had a crank arm walk off the splines after the preload cap walked off, and my sister experienced the same thing with a FSA crank with a similar design (though at least FSA uses a hex wrench to install the cap rather than Shimano's proprietary plastic insert tool).

That said, I was also glad when I was able to use a Shimano bottom bracket on my aeffect... My rf bearings (used with turbine cinch) did not last. I am on my third year with stainless replacement bearings (pressed them into the race face bottom bracket cups), with no indication of roughness.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I know, everyone has their preferred system. Many people don't like the RF cranks because of the lack of preload adjustment.

As a point of clarification, the plastic preload adjustment on a Shimano crank is not responsible for holding your NDS crank arm in place. The clamping force of the two 5mm bolts hold the crank on and there is a small pin that must fit into a hole in the spindle as a backup system to prevent the crank arm from coming off.

The plastic preload cap is very much like the top cap on your headset/stem. It doesn't hold your stem on, it sets the bearing preload. The stem bolts hold your stem in place.

As always proper installation, torque, and adjustment is required for any system to work properly.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    As a point of clarification, the plastic preload adjustment on a Shimano crank is not responsible for holding your NDS crank arm in place.
    This. You could set the preload, tighten the pinch bolts and then take off the plastic cap, it wouldn't matter.

Although they did update the system on the new XTR.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I forgot, RF updated the Aeffect crank recently. They're probably just doing the same for the fatbike version, just not out yet?

I also went by the bike shop this morning, the Ride Cinch cranks are on a fatbike, just checked and see they're also available on the website.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Looking at the crankset page on the RF site https://www.raceface.com/products/type/cranks/ if you filter for "fat bike" you get three models from the Next range but if you go to the AEffect page itself https://www.raceface.com/products/de...ct-cinch-crank then it says "Built For: XC/TRAIL/EMDURO/FATBIKE" (misspelling of "Enduro" is theirs!).

It's a while since I bought mine but I seem to remember that even when there most definitely was a fat bike AEffect then the filter didn't reflect that.

The problem for many with the Next range is that they are 30mm diameter spindles.

Oh, I get a cookie warning on the RF site (benefits of being in the EU - for now) which starts: " RFE HOLDING CORP, A SUBSIDIARY OF FOX FACTORY INC."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think it is just part of a re-organization / branding because of the RF/Easton/Fox combination. I've used Easton Carbon bars for years, but couldn't find a set this season for my Wife's new bike.

Not that it helps if you really need the 190mm compatible version, but the 170mm version fits a lot of wide rear hub fat bikes that are over 170mm. It just depends on the chain stay shape and your desire for heel clearance vs a narrow(er) Q. I have one 190mm hub and one 197mm hub fat bikes in my fleet that use the 170mm version.

... and I agree that the Shimano arms falling off is from a lack of proper assembly or lost parts (pin). Every one of these crank systems is a bit of a dumpster fire. The directions typically are horrible, and you actually need the directions to understand them the first time through to get it right. Even worse, I've found a few OEM installations that also weren't right so they can't always be the example. At least the Truvativ wavy washer isn't the answer to most of these questions anymore ... what a hack that is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I know, everyone has their preferred system. Many people don't like the RF cranks because of the lack of preload adjustment.

As a point of clarification, the plastic preload adjustment on a Shimano crank is not responsible for holding your NDS crank arm in place. The clamping force of the two 5mm bolts hold the crank on and there is a small pin that must fit into a hole in the spindle as a backup system to prevent the crank arm from coming off.

The plastic preload cap is very much like the top cap on your headset/stem. It doesn't hold your stem on, it sets the bearing preload. The stem bolts hold your stem in place.

As always proper installation, torque, and adjustment is required for any system to work properly.
    Yep, I understand what is theoretically supposed to happen, but experience (including one crankset tightened with a torque wrench, so I know I had the pinch bolts set correctly, and there isn't much else to mess up with the install) is different. I know when it happened that I googled around, and found a handful of others that had run into the same issue; maybe just a tolerances issue for my crank (I didn't install the FSA crank, so I can't vouch for the install procedures). That said, Shimano generally is good value; perhaps I just have too high of expectations to the number of times I can transfer a part.

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand, glad it seems to be a like reshuffle thing rather than the cranks going away. While pricier than mid-range Shimano cranks, they are an excellent value.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The 24mm diameter axle versions of Aeffect and Ride cranksets both come in either a spindle length meant specifically for 170mm chainlines with a 100mm BB shell, or for 190mm chain lines with a 100mm BB shell (which has these big alloy spacers that go on each side of the axle between the crank arm and the BB bearings). The 2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard for example even though its a 197 dropout frame, will take the 170mm chainline crank for its 100mm width BB shell without clipping the stays with the crank arms. An RSD Mayor V3 on the other hand absolutely NEEDS the 190mm chainline crank version even though its also a 100mm BB shell.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread