Advice on used Bluto- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34

    Advice on used Bluto

    I have a lead on a used Bluto coming off a 2015 Framed Alaskan for $200. Supposedly it was basically ridden for a year or so and has been mostly sitting since. Seller said he didn't cut any of the steerer tube - it would be going on a 2015 Minnesota 3.0, so I presume it should be fairly plug and play.

    Is this a decent price for a 4 year old suspension fork? Used Blutos seem to typically go for a bit more (pinkbike, etc), but I haven't found a comp for a 4-year old one.

    What should I look for when I check it out to know if it's still in decent condition (I will be meeting the seller, so it will likely be off the bike)?

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    roots, rocks, rhythm
    Reputation: Dawgprimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    714
    An un cut steer tube.....sweet!
    If it is as good as it sounds.
    I would say the price is decent!
    Just my 2 cents......
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    An un cut steer tube.....sweet!
    If it is as good as it sounds.
    I would say the price is decent!
    Just my 2 cents......
    Yeah - the guy said uncut or cut very slightly, as he likes a more upright ride. He's going to measure for me when he pulls it off. I figured even if it was cut it would probably be cut pretty close to what I would need, unless there's some substantial differences between the head tube lengths of the Alaska vs Minnesota (both medium bikes).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    I checked the classifieds and there are a couple of somewhat recently sold used ones for $150-$200. Then there are some for $350 on up. I asked the seller if he'd take $150, given there's no remote lockout and he agreed. Still waiting on the steerer tube length - he's going to pull the fork off today. My HT + stack / headset is currently about 200mm. I think uncut blutos are 265.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    963
    Count me as somebody who loves their Bluto. I had the cold weather seal kit installed, put proper amount of oil in it, which it didn't have from the factory, and slick honey on the lowers and it works great. Now if you're planning on down hilling and sending it on house sized jumps, it will leave you lacking...but use it for what it was designed for, you'll be happy with it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Count me as somebody who loves their Bluto. I had the cold weather seal kit installed, put proper amount of oil in it, which it didn't have from the factory, and slick honey on the lowers and it works great. Now if you're planning on down hilling and sending it on house sized jumps, it will leave you lacking...but use it for what it was designed for, you'll be happy with it.
    Thanks for that info - I'm certainly stoked to try it out. Any tell tale signs of a troubled suspension fork I should look out for? Is 4 years considered "old" for one of these?

    I definitely don't see myself hucking jumps or downhilling - just looking for a bit more comfort for my aging joints on XC trailrides. Honestly, I'm just trying to get back into it to give me an alternative activity (surfing is my primary) and putting together a ride I'm stoked about is going to go a long way in the initial motivation. The bluto will add to the versatility of this rig, as I'll have a squishy fork, a rigid fork + 3 wheelsets (fat, 29 MTB, and 700c hybrid). I have an older Trek Liquid I've been wrenching on a bit too (rebuilt the Talas RS, converted to 1x9), but this bike is turning in to my swiss army knife.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    Thanks for that info - I'm certainly stoked to try it out. Any tell tale signs of a troubled suspension fork I should look out for? Is 4 years considered "old" for one of these?

    I definitely don't see myself hucking jumps or downhilling - just looking for a bit more comfort for my aging joints on XC trailrides. Honestly, I'm just trying to get back into it to give me an alternative activity (surfing is my primary) and putting together a ride I'm stoked about is going to go a long way in the initial motivation. The bluto will add to the versatility of this rig, as I'll have a squishy fork, a rigid fork + 3 wheelsets (fat, 29 MTB, and 700c hybrid). I have an older Trek Liquid I've been wrenching on a bit too (rebuilt the Talas RS, converted to 1x9), but this bike is turning in to my swiss army knife.
    That's such a hard question to answer...take mine for instance...it's 4 years old, but I was in a bad accident that kept me off the bike for the most part, for the first two years, then when I got back on it was easy peasy riding for the next season, then finally last year I could do whatever I wanted on a bike, finally, but I only ride my Bluto around a fairly flat lake set of perfect trails so my 4 year old fork is going to have less wear than somebody who goes downhilling fr one weekend. Used forks are a crap shoot, wouldn't buy one personally unless I trusted the seller.

  8. #8
    roots, rocks, rhythm
    Reputation: Dawgprimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    714
    Buying used is a crap shoot........like litespeedaddic said!
    Some people take care of there bikes/parts and other don't.......it is hit or miss.
    That is why when I buy used I want to see it in my hands.
    Good Luck!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

  9. #9
    blood in / blood out
    Reputation: majack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    Thanks for that info - I'm certainly stoked to try it out. Any tell tale signs of a troubled suspension fork I should look out for? Is 4 years considered "old" for one of these?

    I definitely don't see myself hucking jumps or downhilling - just looking for a bit more comfort for my aging joints on XC trailrides. Honestly, I'm just trying to get back into it to give me an alternative activity (surfing is my primary) and putting together a ride I'm stoked about is going to go a long way in the initial motivation. The bluto will add to the versatility of this rig, as I'll have a squishy fork, a rigid fork + 3 wheelsets (fat, 29 MTB, and 700c hybrid). I have an older Trek Liquid I've been wrenching on a bit too (rebuilt the Talas RS, converted to 1x9), but this bike is turning in to my swiss army knife.
    Look for score marks on the stantions, worn wiper seals, leaking oil. Check that the rebound works and that the lock out works. Look for obvious signs of a crash on the lowers and brake arch. Other than that, all should be well. But as always, buyer beware.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    Look for score marks on the stantions, worn wiper seals, leaking oil. Check that the rebound works and that the lock out works. Look for obvious signs of a crash on the lowers and brake arch. Other than that, all should be well. But as always, buyer beware.
    Thanks - luckily I'll get to check it out before I buy, but it'll be removed from the bike. I imagine worn wipers & oil leaks can likely be fixed with a seal kit (I plan on doing this anyhow). The accident and stanchion info is good though - I'll definitely inspect it closely. It supposedly wasn't used all that much, so hopefully it's in decent shape.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    9
    i bought a used bluto last fall for $325. it was a little rougher when I got it in person then I wanted, so I had my local shop go through it and service (wipers, seals, oil, etc.).

    I really like it. It's mounted on a beargrease and I ride fairly rough stuff and it's held up really well. It's AMAZING how rowdy of stuff you can ride with a fat hardtail w/ bluto and feel pretty good the day after a tough ride. You don't get beat up at all; it's great.

    highly recommend. I should've bought it sooner.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    621
    Looked for any mastodons? I owned a bluto; sold it. IMOP, Mastodon worth the money if you want a fatty sus fork. I have had mine for a year. Rode it a lot last winter and a bunch of summer rides with 29+ wheelset.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Looked for any mastodons? I owned a bluto; sold it. IMOP, Mastodon worth the money if you want a fatty sus fork. I have had mine for a year. Rode it a lot last winter and a bunch of summer rides with 29+ wheelset.
    I looked a bit, but they seemed fairly rare used and prohibitively expensive. The Bluto was just good timing and for under $200 was a good starting point for the sub $500 bike I just picked up. I'm sure if I really get into it down the line I'll upgrade the bike first, then look at better suspension options. I really just want to see how much of a difference suspension will make, as the fully rigid was a bit jarring coming of an older full-squish 26" MTB (of course, I haven't really dialed in tire pressure yet).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    34
    Well, I got the Bluto mounted on the 'sota and I love it. It, along with a shorter stem completely changed the feel of the bike for the better. Only a couple rides so far, but it's made a big difference in feel and comfort.

    To those who ride fat bikes with suspension, do you increase the front tire air pressure (up from riding rigid)? I tried both front and back at 8 then 10psi (rooty, rocky, and lots of wet leaves / mud around right now). Not sure I could tell much of a difference, but I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb.

    If anyone has more advice on dialing the front suspension in as well, I'm all ears (I read through the Bluto tuning thread and will be playing with air pressure a bit more) - I don't have a lot of experience sorting out compression and rebound.

Similar Threads

  1. New Bluto 120 RCT3 - Need setup/break-in advice
    By Kjcdesignz in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM
  2. Need Fat bike advise Bluto or no Bluto
    By brianbmw in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 03:23 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2015, 12:32 PM
  4. bluto/wheel advice needed plz
    By stesteste in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 115

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.