Adding an SRM powermeter to a Beargrease- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Adding an SRM powermeter to a Beargrease

I know some people are interested in having power on their fatbike. There are some options for power, but it's much more difficult than a MTB or road bike

-A Stages powermeter can be made to work with some tinkering Power to the Fatbike | RedBike
    -2x SRMs could potentially fit, but with a Max ring size of 24/36 on a Beargrease, it would be difficult to find small enough chain rings due to the 120/80 BCD
    -Quarq is looking into an XX1 fatbike crank, but nothing has been released and I'm a bit wary of how it will handle getting wet due to my road Quarq going nuts when it gets wet.

I've been watching ebay for the 8 months or so and finally jumped on a Sram 1X SRM. The price was good enough that if I purchased it and it didn't work I should be able to make my money back. Everything works perfect with plenty of clearance around the BB. I paired it up with a 32t Wolftooth ring (104bcd). I don't think anything smaller would fit than 32t. The crank swapped right over to my Sram X9 crank without any troubles. After a short spin to bed everything in, I checked the SRM's slope and it was dead on to what the factory slope was (ensures it's reading the correct power). There is plenty of room on the flat part of the BB to glue a magnet. I used some electrical tape to cover it, I don't want to chance the magnet coming off and attaching itself to the chain as I ride along.

Going from 2x to 1x with power dropped about 1.2 pounds bringing the bike to 28.0 pounds.

Magnet placement & chainstay clearance

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You can go down to 30T with 104 BCD ( Race Face, WolfTooth, etc)
    You can also remove the SRM spider from the crank and use it on a SRAM carbon crank....cuz a carbon crank will make you fastererer

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks good. Do you have the SRM head unit?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Yes and No. I use a Garmin 1000. I have a PCVI that I got 4 years ago with my road SRM, but I don't use it. The customizable screens on Garmins are much better since I can setup and interval page and have average lap power on the same screen as a my current ride data.

aka bOb
    I can tell when I've used reached my max power output, I start craving a sandwich and a beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I can tell when I've used reached my max power output, I start craving a sandwich.
    You spelled "beer" wrong.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    You spelled "beer" wrong.
    Fixed it

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a few power meters on my road bikes and will be getting a fat bike for winter training.
    Are you a roadie?

If so how does the data compare for a smooth road section, gravel road section and soft trail section at say 80% effort?

I am trying to figure out if I also want one on my fat bike, how to train to keep my late season form and plan my winter training..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, do you find you get the same quality of information with the Garmin? What software do you use? I had been using a Garmin with mine but Lost it on a ride and have been using a Magellan 505 for the last couple of months and like it, just wonder if I am missing out on much by not having the SRM head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    Yes and No. I use a Garmin 1000. I have a PCVI that I got 4 years ago with my road SRM, but I don't use it. The customizable screens on Garmins are much better since I can setup and interval page and have average lap power on the same screen as a my current ride data.

mtbr member
    I've run the Powercontrol side by side with my previous 705 & 800, all the data was right on, same average power, NP, TSS, IF, etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What's going on here?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks. I was curious if it collected more data points. When you view the ride in software do you need more or less or equal smoothing?

Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    I've run the Powercontrol side by side with my previous 705 & 800, all the data was right on, same average power, NP, TSS, IF, etc

mtbr member
    Garmins record data at 1s, the Pwercontrol can do .5s recording. I havent to found that necessary, I just used 1s recording when I used the Powercontrol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just got a quark XX1 intending to run it on my beargrease by swapping the spindles over (this works with my road SRAM meters for instance) but looks like its not compatible - the standard XX1 has 3 t25 blots holding the chainring to the drive side crank and spindle and the quarq powmeter has 8 smaller torn bolts and a slightly different pattern...

Anyone got any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Try contacting Quarq, I emailed them before and it sounds like they were considering making a fatbike version. Maybe you can buy some crank arms from them?