mtbr member
    Jul 2017

adapter for QR (190mm) hub in a TA (197mm) frame

I have a need to use a hub made for QR 190mm frame in an 'odd' 197mm TA (actually, through bolt I believe frame). Reasons in a follow up post, but I'm confused by old threads that say this isn't possible:
    • the quick release doesn't do anything except clamp the frame to the locknuts (and located the assembly _while loose_ so that clamping takes place at the correct location)
    • So I would think that with the correct spacer/adapter, one would be successful clamping a QR hub into a TA dropout.
      • If the difference in size was large, you would be placing unanticipated stress on the axle and mating surface, but if it's very close as in 190/197 This seems moot.

Here are my through axle / through bolt dropouts:adapter for QR (190mm) hub in a TA (197mm) frame-surly_big_fat_dummy_dropout_detail.jpg

I've seen this asked in some very threads (4yrs http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/190...me-935001.html) but figured i shouldn't resurrect a zombie that old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Heading off the inevitable: "don't do this, buy a new hub!"

I have a big fat dummy. It's perfect as-is with human-only power for the commuting, kid-carrying, and bikepacking/trail-building I do. However, a am going to taking it backcountry hunting, and along the lines of a Rokon (2WD motorcycle) I am building a 2nd wheelset with front and rear hub motors. Presently, there are no mainstream companies** offering a TA197 hub motor ... but there are several QR190's.

I could go mid-motor for the rear, but that is much more difficult to mount/dismount. I want electric only for hunting (where often you have to walk along side the bike on thoroughly UN-ridable off-trail scenarios. Front-motor is required for being able to work the bike, loaded, over large obstructions and to avoid rear wheelspin. I am doing both front and rear because i'll likely need the traction and also rear-motor will be easier on the frame with the anticipated loads. Last the hub-motor won't stress my drivetrain which is a huge benefit when really far out from services.

mtbr member
    Given the Surly name in your pic I Googled and found:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/small_p...dapter_washers

According to Surly the frame will take a 190 or 197. I would call and talk to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Given the Surly name in your pic I Googled and found:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/small_p...dapter_washers

The dropouts you have look to be for solid axles. Is this a Surly frame? Which one?
    That looks like it would do the trick. Thanks for correcting my google-foo-failings

Yep, its a surly BFD. This is the axle. I'm not sure what the right word is... is "through bolt" correct?
    Name:  surly_bfd_axle.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  7.1 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Pics of BlueCheeseh's recommendation:
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/small_p...dapter_washersName:  surly adapter washers.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  7.8 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    That looks like it would do the trick. Thanks for correcting my google-foo-failings

Yep, its a surly BFD. This is the axle. I'm not sure what the right word is... is "through bolt" correct?
    Name:  surly_bfd_axle.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  7.1 KB
    Yes, a thru axle, but one that utilizes a dropout like a solid axle would. Unique for sure.

Again, I would talk directly with Surly. I suspect you are going to have to go there for parts anyway.