mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Accurate reading low pressure pump

Hello ya'll.
    Ne guy on this site, and new to the fat bike world, wondering if any of you can recommend a high quality Accurate reading presta valve air pump??
    The Park tool pump I have s a piece of crap, I cant tell if i have 5psi or 20!!
    Thanks
    Dan

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member

I think the joe blow has a model with low pressure. The gauge referenced is good as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks guys, I just ordered the GH Mieser

since 4/10/2009
    I don't think you'll be able to get more precise than this one:

SILCA SuperPista Ultimate Floor Pump The Finest Bicycle Floor Pump The world has ever seen

FWIW, I have a Meiser gauge and the same cheap floor pump I've used for over a decade. or an air compressor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I use this Topeak one which seems to work well:

Topeak Smart D2 Digital Gauge - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

It certainly seems far more accurate than the gauge on my track pump pressure gauge.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    I bought a 0-15 psi gauge for $5.00 on eBay and resurrected my old Joe Blow floor pump. Now I have a dedicated pump for my fattie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got a blue oval digital Schwalbe gauge and I'd recommend against it. First the shape makes it awkward to hold and press against the valve. Second the valve fitting is very tight making it difficult to get it seated for a reading without letting out a bunch of air. Third the auto shutoff is very fast, not even giving you enough time to tighten the nut on one valve and open the next one.

Also I'm not sure when the lower limit is on it, but quite a few times its failed to give me a reading at all around 3 psi. Though for low pressure inflation I mostly go by feel / putting weight on the bike and watching tire deformation.

I had one of those accu-gages but killed it by using it on my mountain bike. I thought my tire pressure was within the rated range, but I was off ... oops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just wondering why you need an accurate pump? I've only ever pumped mine up to 10-12 on whatever pump I use to start the day, then while riding I go by feel. On my regular MTB I'm concerned about the pressure, but never have been for the fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Boone701 View Post
    Thanks guys, I just ordered the GH Mieser
    15 or 30psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Adams Fan
    Ordered the mieser 15 psi yesterday. Last one in stock where I bought it. These 15psi gauges seem to getting hard to find.

I have a 15psi gauge for my ATV that I bought from the local motorcycle dealer but the presta-Schrader adapter doesn't work well at all for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

It looks like the Meiser has a bleed function? That would be handy if you don't have to remove gauge between readings.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    It looks like the Meiser has a bleed function? That would be handy if you don't have to remove gauge between readings.

Yes, it does bleed. I usually overinflate with my pump intentionally, then bleed off with my Meiser.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    Just wondering why you need an accurate pump? I've only ever pumped mine up to 10-12 on whatever pump I use to start the day, then while riding I go by feel. On my regular MTB I'm concerned about the pressure, but never have been for the fat bike.

I asked the same question years ago to people concerned with knowing exact psi numbers. They just like to know. You've gotta leave them to their geekery. None of them are going out and taking enough samples of snow density, surface pressure, surface temperature etc to generate anything tangible to base their precise estimations of the perfect psi level off of. It just comes down to them liking to know and liking to fiddle with it, in the hopes that they can come up with numbers that will help.

mtbr member
    I have found the accuracy of the gauge to be secondary to the repeatability. In other words, I am not really interseted in the gauge giving me the exact psi. I want the gauge to be ale to repeat itself time after time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I have found the accuracy of the gauge to be secondary to the repeatability. In other words, I am not really interseted in the gauge giving me the exact psi. I want the gauge to be ale to repeat itself time after time.
    This. It's not the number that's important. It's getting to what number I feel comfortable in so I can get it back to the same number every ride.

Cactus Cuddler
    Go digital - same deal with sprint car tires, the expensive bespoke low pressure gauges are basically still less awesome than the basic digital ones that can at least produce consistent results down to 5psi. The calibration may not be perfect, but repeatability is really what's wanted for both applications anyway.

mtbr member
    +1---it's cheap and accurate! Can't beat it!
    Just get out ride it & have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ATV shops

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMN View Post
    +1---it's cheap and accurate! Can't beat it!
    I have this and a Topeak digital and they line up well every time. I think the Messier is handy at 5 psi and below just because of it's sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    I find pressure is a lot more crucial on the rigid fat bike compared to my full suspension bike and the reason I wanted an accurate pressure gauge is because I didn't know where to start pressure wise while my normal MTB, plenty of the others in my group were able to help with what the feel should be.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have the topeak D2 which I'm generally happy enough with. It's light and pretty accurate. I found it a bit fiddly with presta valves, I'd have to try a few times to get a reading while releasing a chunk of air, however you can unscrew the front face where the input hole is and remove the internal spring, which makes it a lot easier to use without releasing too much air. I guess you could install a weaker spring too. Don't do this if you need to use schrader as well though.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The PR30BX was recommended to me by Acme Bicycles in Rapid City, SD. Although I've only had it for a few weeks, it seems like quality gear. The bleeder valve is very useful. Light weight, it is not.