mtbr member

Accessories for new Mukluk 2?

I've got a Mukluk 2 on order, expecting delivery at the end of October. in the mean time I'm trying to figure out must-have accessories to bolt on before receiving it, and here's my current list. I'd love to hear additions, criticisms, or anything else anyone might have to say about this:

- 1 or 2 King Cage Stainless Steel Cages (the standard, basic one).
    - Ergon GP1 for twist shifters.
    - 1x spare Surly Toob, thin version.

I live in Southeast Michigan and this bike will get most of its use in this area on our typically rolling single track and winter biking on whatever I can find that's accessible.

I've also considered getting a pair of Surly Black Floyd 120 TPI tires and maybe a [url="http://salsacycles.com/components/anything_cage/"Salsa Anything Cage[/url], but I'm not sure how useful these would be. I normally ride with a hydration pack and don't do any bike packing, so I'm not sure if the Anything Cage would be needed. I don't do much paved-only riding either, so I'm not sure if the Black Floyd would be useful yet. At ~$120/tire the price of a pair is a bit much to swallow for just-in-case.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

mtbr member
    Weather is probably a bit different in Michigan vs. Northern Alberta, but after the first ride I haven't had any use for water bottles - they freeze almost immediately. I took off the bottle cage after that.
    The must have for my Fatback was Bar Mitts.
    That and good lights...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    Weather is probably a bit different in Michigan vs. Northern Alberta, but after the first ride I haven't had any use for water bottles - they freeze almost immediately. I took off the bottle cage after that.
    The must have for my Fatback was Bar Mitts.
    That and good lights...
    Good thought on the lights and mitts. I've actually got Trail's Edge Moose Mitts which I've used for a couple seasons now, and a good pair of Nite Rider lights, so that's sorted. I've found that bottles don't freeze for me until around an hour in at 15F, particularly if I have mixed up a nicely salty electrolyte drink to compliment the water in my hydration pack.

I was sort of wondering about the larger cage for carrying things like spare gloves, tube, etc? I'm finding myself trying to find uses for it, so I'm not sure it's needed.

mtbr member
    Frame bags seem to be popular for that type of thing, but I haven't taken the plunge on that yet. There appear to be numerous threads on the options.

I'm trying out some cold weather cycling boots this year as well.

mtbr member
    I was lucky enough to pick up some used (but in great shape) PI winter cycling boots/shoes last year, and so far they seem great. With the addition of chemical toe warmers I'm figuring they'd be good for all day rides.

'Calm Down'
    I'd like to get one of the Revelate Designs frame bags when they become available.

jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Trevorrr- what are your boot ideas?

-note-technically not off-topic as a Mukluk is a Boot is a Mukluk...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    I don't think I'm any kind of an expert, but I know my regular summer MTB shoes with neoprene covers is not warm enough. Winter hiking boots were OK, but I don't like toe clips, so I'm going to try the Lake winter boots (MXZ302) 2-3 sizes above what I normally wear to leave room for multiple sock layers. We'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mr. Whirly offset crankset

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    pump

mtbr member
    If you're going without clips, go with Steger Mukluks. Goodbye cold and wet. Seriously the best!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have to agree on the steger muks, bought a pair last year, and with temps below zero,feet never once got cold. would not reccomend with clips,or real aggressive peds

He be a moose too.
    The lake boots work very well. I got mine a little big but 3 sizes might be overkill. Only issue I had is if there is deep powder, it can get inside the boots (the only time my feet got cold is when this happened). So depending on conditions, gaiters might be appropriate.

I'm a Target Too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    The lake boots work very well. I got mine a little big but 3 sizes might be overkill. Only issue I had is if there is deep powder, it can get inside the boots (the only time my feet got cold is when this happened). So depending on conditions, gaiters might be appropriate.
    Same thing here. Pair them with Defeet WoolieBoolies and chemical warmer packs (if needed) and you'll in pretty good shape for Michigan, I would think.