About Time, Surly...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406

    About Time, Surly...

    I've been waiting for the new stainless OD chain rings for a long time.
    My aluminum one was missing more teeth than an Alabama house wife. About Time, Surly...-ring1.jpgAbout Time, Surly...-ring3.jpg

    I couldn't believe how much heavier the new one is but it seems bombproof.
    About Time, Surly...-ring2.jpg
    I like turtles

  2. #2
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,355
    Cool.

    Um -- what's that, uh, thing above and behind your chainring?!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,279
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Cool.

    Um -- what's that, uh, thing above and behind your chainring?!
    It's a chain rub device, it simulates chain noise from the old days, kinda like putting cards in your spokes, but you can adjust the sound as you ride.

  4. #4
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,420
    @.o
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've been waiting for the new stainless OD chain rings for a long time.
    My aluminum one was missing more teeth than an Alabama house wife. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring1.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	1136541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring3.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1136542

    I couldn't believe how much heavier the new one is but it seems bombproof.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	1136543
    I've never seen a front derailleur run that high off the big ring.

  6. #6
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Cool.

    Um -- what's that, uh, thing above and behind your chainring?!
    The bike is still currently a 2 x 10. That ring has ramps and pins. Once the rest of the drivetrain wears out I'll make the jump.
    I like turtles

  7. #7
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    I've never seen a front derailleur run that high off the big ring.
    Kind of out of necessity. The mount clamps right where one of the cage bolts takes residence. It's either up high or down low. If I mount it below the bolt, it works like crap. I have the clamp on top of the bolt and the derailleur as low as it will go on the mount. It works perfectly. I admit it looks odd.
    I like turtles

  8. #8
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,944
    Ha!

    It's funny, I was waiting and waiting and waiting.

    They had 39's or whatever, for a loooong time.

    I was getting frustrated. Why the f*#k would they have a silly size like that in stock, and not the seemingly far more functional, 33's?

    Finally shot Sov at Surly an email about it, and being the actual, people based company they can be from time to time, he looked into it, and discovered they were in stock, but never got added *to* stock at Q.

    Doh.

    He added, I ordered, and have had them for probably 4 months or so now....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  9. #9
    Flying Sasquatch
    Reputation: KTMNealio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    302
    Is that a fair weight comparison since so many teeth are missing?

  10. #10
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    Is that a fair weight comparison since so many teeth are missing?
    I'm sure it's a minuscule amount.
    I like turtles

  11. #11
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Ha!

    It's funny, I was waiting and waiting and waiting.

    They had 39's or whatever, for a loooong time.

    I was getting frustrated. Why the f*#k would they have a silly size like that in stock, and not the seemingly far more functional, 33's?

    Finally shot Sov at Surly an email about it, and being the actual, people based company they can be from time to time, he looked into it, and discovered they were in stock, but never got added *to* stock at Q.

    Doh.

    He added, I ordered, and have had them for probably 4 months or so now....
    We were checking regularly and my friend Evan at the LBS had an e mail alert set up for when they became available. I e mailed them this past March and they said April. When it showed up last week I thought ok, May is almost as good as April. At least it's here.
    Now, two weeks ago, we called about availability on Krampus frames. They said August. Now, they have some available. Looks like Krampus came early this year.
    I like turtles

  12. #12
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,944
    That makes no sense, on frames.

    ETA date listed for them was early May, just got that XL I was trawling for a month of so ago, this past week....

    Perhaps whenthey got added on the back end, somehow their item watch system wasn't alerted, so you never got an email about it being in stock.

    Dunno, I let IT guys, be IT guys, I do the greasy work.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  13. #13
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,406
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    That makes no sense, on frames.

    ETA date listed for them was early May, just got that XL I was trawling for a month of so ago, this past week....

    Perhaps whenthey got added on the back end, somehow their item watch system wasn't alerted, so you never got an email about it being in stock.

    Dunno, I let IT guys, be IT guys, I do the greasy work.
    Exactly. All I know is I gotta make some side money for a 29+ Pike.
    I like turtles

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Surly 1x1 frame 18", Surly Marges, Pugsley fork
    By smporter in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 11:44 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 05:16 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.