Thread: 907 belt drive

mtbr member

907 belt drive

On facebook page today

Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Whoa, are those drop outs an option on all new frames? If so I may need to change my order..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Ha, they beat me to it.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Also, those don't look exactly like Paragon dropouts, I wonder if they were made in house?

mtbr member
    Love it.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Harmonius Wrench
    Missing an internal geared hub, but otherwise......perfect.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I have a belt drive on the 29er. Not much of an advantage, if any, on a clean drivechain (well weight, but that hardly counts here). But its a fantastic option if you ride in soft stuff. It simply stays smooth regardless. Cleaning the bike after is so much easier too.

Very tempting.

mtbr member
    I want one

I see it's using the 46T front which is good news. There's usually not enough clearance for that on most mtbs, and using a smaller front is where most of the belt drive problems come from.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    using a smaller front is where most of the belt drive problems come from.
    Smaller rear is what they told me at Interbike this year. Had one (still do actually, in a box) couldn't get it to stop skipping, ever. What burned me was the companies insistence that it was me doing something wrong, but now, they admit my set up as they sold it to me, is prone to failure in exactly the way it did.

Also, for snow riders? Light powder when it's cold? These things make the most insane noises, like trying to fit 20 lbs of rubber balls into a 5 lb rubber box....

It's cool to have options, good for 907 for doing it, but Gates does need to be way more honest and up front about the limitations and issues with their product. I now own $300+ worth of nifty looking paper weight with less than 20 rides on it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

Also, for snow riders? Light powder when it's cold? These things make the most insane noises, like trying to fit 20 lbs of rubber balls into a 5 lb rubber box....
    Have you tried the Gates in snow and had this issue? If so, that's a bummer. To me, the rustless factor would be the thing that would be good.

The Gates stuff does also make noise when it gets dry and dusty. But this isn't an issue for me, or a concern for how I would want to use this system. On my 29"er, it's been dead quiet. (Center Track version)
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mine made a nice buzing noise untill I perfected chainline and tension. Now it is completely silent, which contrasts beautifully with my Hope trials freewell. Which clicks like a armoured knight using a vibrating bum toner.....or something.

mtbr member
    With dropouts like that and a rumoured 100 rim BFL clearance, I think the new 907 might very well be my next fatbike.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Have you tried the Gates in snow and had this issue? If so, that's a bummer. To me, the rustless factor would be the thing that would be good.

The Gates stuff does also make noise when it gets dry and dusty. But this isn't an issue for me, or a concern for how I would want to use this system. On my 29"er, it's been dead quiet. (Center Track version)
    Yep, mines a Gates. The original version,not the Center Track.

It was also very quiet, except for the times it had stuff in it.

FWIW? It never rusted

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I really liked the trek commuter I rode with a belt drive. Is this 907 using a Gates system? I'd like to read more about it.

Also I would be concerned about it icing up, or getting noisy at below zero temps, anyone have experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK View Post
    Also I would be concerned about it icing up, or getting noisy at below zero temps, anyone have experience with this?
    My situations occurred in temps below 15 F or so, with fresh fluff deep enough to readily find its way onto the drivetrain. Warmer snow seemed to be wet enough that it wasn't as noisy.

It never failed, iced, cracked or in any way prevented me from riding, which, in AK, would be a very legit concern!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, mines a Gates. The original version,not the Center Track.

It was also very quiet, except for the times it had stuff in it.

FWIW? It never rusted
    Okay, so it wasn't Center Track then. Good.

My view of the older Gates designs is dim. The Center Track is far, far better. I still believe it would perform well in snow, but I will have to wait to find out. (Not on a fat bike, but on a Sawyer I have here)

If it pans out that it is as good as I think, I want to pursue a fat bike with an internal geared hub for commuting in winter.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I'm really going to be watching this.....

As I have managed to sell off most of my "spare" bikes now, I was about to order a moonlander to have a dedicated beach riding bike & keep my current 907 for trail riding & offroad touring.

New 907 frames, clearance for 100mm rims & BFL, belt drive & alfine hub.....sounds like the perfect low maintenance beachrider to me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just talked to chain reaction today. The bike pictured above is at the shop, it's a prototype and could be out next year. Thoughts of internal hubs as well.
    I just picked up a 2012 907 so I'm good for now, I'll just throw on a nice tensioner if I want to go single speed (which is why I was interested in the prototype).
    2012 frames look great. My large frame comes in at 1,986 grams with their seat post clamp.

mtbr member
    These will take 80mm rims with BFL, Another bike being built next week with IGH....then out for testing
    I Want one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    These will take 80mm rims with BFL, Another bike being built next week with IGH....then out for testing
    I Want one!
    Slightly OT.

Do you realise there is a good frame builder close to you? (Alves, I think)

mtbr member
    I did hear there was someone a while back, but haven't got any info...do you have contact details?

mtbr member

Belt drive, 100mm rims, alfine....where do I pay?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got money waiting to be spent on one of these too. Hurry up Chain Reaction please!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post

Belt drive, 100mm rims, alfine....where do I pay?
    Ditto

mtbr member
    And I was bummed out today because I don't have a fat bike anymore, silly me.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Harrumph
    Anyone come across a good pic of the chainstays. Curious how big ass tires play with big associated belt-ring.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Can't comment on theirs, but on mine it was a squeeze. I think I'd take a cue from the PhatSchtickel or the Krampus on this one: solid plates for the chainstay yokes. That's my vote anyway.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Hurry up 'mid to late October'!

Geordie biker
    Ideal fatbike for beach and mud!
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Looks like Sandman has a belt drive fat bike on the way too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

Mendon- great description of the noise. I had 14 wonderful noise free hours on a belt then it got loud. Really loud. Tried water like they recommend, but that didnít help. Tried the silicon belt spray, but had to hand the bike over to some guys up in Anchorage. Not sure how long it stayed quiet after that, but I was pretty bummed it did have to be lubed after all. The thing felt great, but I hate having a huge front chainring like is required. I also see some serious disadvantages in having your fragile belt in such a vulnerable spot on the bike. I took a few nics out of it just riding around mellow xc trails. I think the belts are cool for a lightweight xc rig, but I donít really see any other advantages.

As far as the whole rust issue goes, I think the bigger issue is going to be rust in your BB and hub. Thatís always going to be a factor that the IGH and belt donít help. Rust on the chain is somewhat manageable; rust in your sealed IGH will eventually turn into a showstopper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Frames built specifically to take a belt drive are supposed to have stiffer chain stays to reduce flex and help the running of a belt drive. Does anybody know if this would be the case with the new 907 because the knock on effect would be a stiffer ride. This wouldn't matter too much for snow or sand but would be a minus for trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose2008 View Post
    Frames built specifically to take a belt drive are supposed to have stiffer chain stays to reduce flex and help the running of a belt drive. Does anybody know if this would be the case with the new 907 because the knock on effect would be a stiffer ride. This wouldn't matter too much for snow or sand but would be a minus for trails.
    I don't think I'd notice with my tyres at 8psi. Anyhow stiff chainstays are good IMO - no energy wasted flexing them back and fore.

Harrumph
    Roholoff won't sell you a belt drive cog unless the frame is "approved." A belt skip under load has the potential to make expensive noises come from a thousand dollar hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Roholoff won't sell you a belt drive cog unless the frame is "approved." A belt skip under load has the potential to make expensive noises come from a thousand dollar hub.
    Ouch! I don't like the sounds of that! Do you have more details you can share? Or link? Thanks G!

Harrumph
    Here's Rohloff's web page regarding belt drive hubs, restricting belt drive to "OEM's"

mtbr member
    Is this frame getting an overhaul for 2013? I feel like they could have managed way more rim and tire clearance than this. I was dead set on buying this but no support for 100's on proper tires made it a quick no go .