9:Zero:7 Aluminum Fork on Pugsley Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

9:Zero:7 Aluminum Fork on Pugsley Frame

I finally got my new (to me) Pugs in yesterday. Great machine...however not happy with the stock off-set front fork. It is too Rusty and looking to swap it out.

A lighter fork like the 9:Zero:7 Aluminum (450mm lenght) is a great choice as a replacement but I wonder if that is possible to use with a Pugsley Frame???

I understand the front wheel is an Off-set wheel and need to be re-laced to centered style rim. I might even go with 9:Zero:7 Front Hub (lighter) as I will need to rebuild the front wheel anyway.

Any other issues that I may be missing???

nvphatty
    How about the WB snowpac CF fork as a replacement??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    How about the WB snowpac CF fork as a replacement??
    Ouch...that is a very pretty fork. However it does come with not a very pretty price with not much of a weight differential... Nice fork though.

910g- WB SnowPack CF @ $445
    1040g- 9:Zero:7 @ $199

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by ppessoa View Post
    Ouch...that is a very pretty fork. However it does come with not a very pretty price with not much of a weight differential... Nice fork though.

910g- WB SnowPack CF @ $445
    1040g- 9:Zero:7 @ $199
    yes well sometimes thats the price we pay(or not) now compare the weights of the oem surly pug fork and see what you get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, I think I just answered my own question.
    Since the rear frame of the Pugs is also offset (like the front fork) it will be difficult to run a non-offset front fork (like the Alum 9zero7) in the front without affecting how the bike handles and steers. I will be sticking with the OEM front fork for now.

Getting New Darryls (with holes) Wheels built up next week with a American Classic Hub (rear) and still not sure what hub to use in the front.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Since the rear frame of the Pugs is also offset (like the front fork) it will be difficult to run a non-offset front fork (like the Alum 9zero7) in the front without affecting how the bike handles and steers.
    You can run a symmetrical fat fork with a symmetrical front wheel on any bike frame.

Offset design has to do with clearance and parts availability/compatibility, not handling.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    You can run a symmetrical fat fork with a symmetrical front wheel on any bike frame.

Offset design has to do with clearance and parts availability/compatibility, not handling.
    Thank you for the info...thats is what I needed to know... So I should be OK running the Alum 9:Zero:7 front symetrical fork with a symetrical front wheel on my Puglsey?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I have an offset 9:zero:7 frame running a 100mm non-offset Surly Pugsley fork up front. No handling issues whatsoever. My wifeís offset 9:zero:7 is running an aluminum 9:zero:7 135mm non-offset fork, and there arenít any handling issues either. The fatter fork allows easier removal/installation of the front wheel than the 100mm non-offset fork. I used to have a Pugsley with the 135mm offset front fork, and at time it was a bit tricky getting the wheel/tire in the fork with the tire inflated.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Thank you for the info...thats is what I needed to know... So I should be OK running the Alum 9:Zero:7 front symetrical fork with a symetrical front wheel on my Puglsey?
    Make sure you have the correct disc brake caliper spacing on your hub. From Fatbikes.com website:
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbikes.com
    The 9:ZERO:7 aluminum fork is rear disc brake compatible and must be used with a front disc hub using rear brake spacing. The recommended hub for the 9:ZERO:7 aluminum fork is our own 135mm front hub. Surly hubs are also compatible with this fork.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

It aint gonna ride itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I have an offset 9:zero:7 frame running a 100mm non-offset Surly Pugsley fork up front. No handling issues whatsoever.
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just to be clear, if you switch from an offset to a non-offset fork, you also need to swap the front wheel. If the OP has an offset fork, he will also have an offset wheel. Riding with a symmetrical fork will be fine (surly has offered one for years), but not with an offset wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the Feedback guys...
    And yes, I will be rebuilding my front wheel too... from an offset wheel (stock) to a centered one to match the Aluminum 9:zero:7 centered fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0