45NRTH Wolvhammer vs MXZ303- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

45NRTH Wolvhammer vs MXZ303

Hopefully I have enough cash for some new winter boots this year. Been using the Lake MX301's for about 5 years, but, hey lookie, now there are options!

I have a super-wide to box, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me compare the 45NRTH Wolvhammer vs MXZ303 (wide) base on:

1) Which one is wider (per a given length)?
    2) Which one allows for a lower q-factor?
    3) Which one is warmer?
    4) Which one is stiffer?

Or, even better, does anyone know a shop in S. WI or N. IL where you can find both boots at the same location?

EDIT: After reading around the forum it sounds like the Wolvhammer's are warmer. so +1 for them on item #3.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm on last year's lakes (just bought a few weeks back). The wolfhammer is in a different league, but the only way I could justify them is if I HAD to ride SPD. Otherwise there are plenty of other boots you can buy that do the same job for much less. One conditions are real cold and nasty, I don't want to be using SPDs for many reasons, but I Think that version at least has a place. I don't think you could go wrong with the 45 north stuff (I see it in the shops all over here), but I question the practicality. I got the lakes exactly one size larger than I usually wear and that seems to be the ticket for the thick wool socks I like to use in the coldest weather.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Wolfhammer is not particularly wide. I tried on a pair and passed because they were too narrow for my feet, I have keen shaped feet.... I will probably order some 303 wides.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with tedsti, I have narrow feet, and I found the Wolvs perfect for my feet. So if you have wide feet, I'd stay away from these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    The Wolfhammer is not particularly wide. I tried on a pair and passed because they were too narrow for my feet, I have keen shaped feet.... I will probably order some 303 wides.

I got mine yesterday and totally agree with your assessment. I normally wear a 43 shoe and got a 44, plenty of room in the toe box area, however I'm hoping they pack out. My toes could use a hair more room.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have feet that are generally one size wider than normal and the Wolvhammer fits nice. One of my buddies has wide feet and loves the Wolvhammers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Living the thug life.
    I had the older Lakes and now new Wolfhammers. Same size to fit the same socks. Wolfhammers are for sure warmer, the outers stick out towards the crank more, thus more q factor as I had to push out the cleats more. They use the same resin sole, same stiffness.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got the lakes in the "wide". I only have slightly wide feet, but all the extra room helps here IMO
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I had the older Lakes and now new Wolfhammers. Same size to fit the same socks.
    Which Lakes did you have? The Wolfhammers fit about the same as the old-old Lake MXZ301 (when they did not offer wide sizes). When Lake switched to offering wide, the regular got a little narrower and the wide got wider than the 301.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    I will be getting a pair of Wolfhammers non SPD in a couple of days. I have some what of a wide foot so I hope they fit.
    I will post a report after the first ride.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    Which Lakes did you have? The Wolfhammers fit about the same as the old-old Lake MXZ301 (when they did not offer wide sizes). When Lake switched to offering wide, the regular got a little narrower and the wide got wider than the 301.
    When I got mine there was wide available, but I did not get them. I think my old boots (which I sold) were 48, my 45nrth's are 47's. Seem to fit close to the same. Not a direct science there as I don't exactly wear just a single cycling sock underneath.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have two rides in on the MKZ303. They are wide enough for my EE to EEEE feet. I bought 44s, and typically wear a 9.5 to 10 in US shoe size. It leaves a little bit of room for my thicker socks. I often have cold feet, and my feet were sweaty in 38 degree F weather.

The leather of the Lakes is a bit soft, and that makes the boots conform to my foot. However, it also means that the bulge at my medial malleolus rubs the crank arm. The leather there is smooth and soft, so I wonder about long term wear. Cost was a factor for me, the Q factor wasn't much of a concern. Both are bulky near the area where my boots rub, but the Wolvhammer may be stiffer at that point.

viva la v-brakes!
    While on winter vacation up here in Traverse City MI, I found an amazing shop with tons of fatbike gear, Einstein Cycles. They actually have both the Wolvhammer and Lake 303 boots in stock!

Unfortunately for me they only had the narrow 303's, but I tried several boots on anyway. As expected, the narrow 303's pinch my toes considerably. The Wolvhammers are tollerable, typical of what I have to deal with with my wide feet when I'm shoe shopping, but not ideal. I'm going to try to find some wide Lake boots to try on when I am in Chicago after Christmas.

I could learn to live with the Wolvhammers, but I'd rather focus on fit for this purchase, so hopefully the wide Lakes will be a lot better.

Bodhisattva
    update:
    I have have 6 rides with my Wolvhammers. I've been using Lakes for years and own 303s and their forerunners.

I find the Wolvs to be significantly warmer than the Lakes. I'm a happy camper.

viva la v-brakes!
    2 Notes:

First, I forgot to mention that the 303 and (SPD compatible version of the) Wolvhammer have the exact same Vibrum sole. However, the Wolvhammers of the same numerical size (44 in my case) were clearly larger, by at least a size, maybe 1.5 sizes.

Second, immediately after my last post I went downstairs and put on my XC ski boots. I was struck at how the "lacing" system was almost identical to the Wolvhammer. A drawstring over the tongue, then a zipper to seal that in, then finally a velcro strap around the top of the ankle... exactly the same, so you can see where 45NRTH got their inspiration from.

oh crap...
    Anyone have any idea how the WH's would hold up if strapped in to snow shoe bindings? I have some old old Lakes and the stretchable velcro band doesn't hold up to this much post holing - nor does it have a toe loop to attach a gator to. I really prefer SPD's even when cycling in these conditions. We've been breaking trail in Boulder County's high country and bringing snow shoes along would help...

45NRTH Wolvhammer vs MXZ303-dsc_7564.jpg
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    Anyone have any idea how the WH's would hold up if strapped in to snow shoe bindings? I have some old old Lakes and the stretchable velcro band doesn't hold up to this much post holing - nor does it have a toe loop to attach a gator to. I really prefer SPD's even when cycling in these conditions. We've been breaking trail in Boulder County's high country and bringing snow shoes along would help...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7564.JPG 
Views:	3330 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	858426
    Wow, that looks like fun. Living here in balmy Western MA it seems like decades since we've seen snowfall like that.
    " All things flow according to the whim of The Great Magnet ".

Hunter S. Thompson

oh crap...
    Found a pair of my size 45 WH's in Golden - probably the last pair in that size left in the country. I guess I'm gonna find out how they hold up today!

mtbr member
    Orange Peel Bikes steamboat springs, co has a bunch of them. Lakes too.

Ride More, Work Less

45NRTH Wolvhammer vs MXZ303

I have about a dozen rides in my wolfs at temps at or below 5f. I have a US 12 foot that is reasonably wide. The 47 fit me perfectly. I'm absolutely loving them. My knees are loving them too--snow boots plus platforms gave me a mess of knee aches last winter.

As mentioned above, they fit just like xc ski boots.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    I just picked up a pair of non-spd Wolvehammers( I needed new winter boots anyhow) so fat after wearing them a few days they are great and super warm. It's nice to have warm and dry feet.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    Anyone have any idea how the WH's would hold up if strapped in to snow shoe bindings? I have some old old Lakes and the stretchable velcro band doesn't hold up to this much post holing - nor does it have a toe loop to attach a gator to. I really prefer SPD's even when cycling in these conditions. We've been breaking trail in Boulder County's high country and bringing snow shoes along

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7564.JPG 
Views:	3330 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	858426
    Where is this in Boulder County ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have a pretty wide foot, I bought 45 Wolvs.....and I have no trouble. My feet get terribly cold quickly, but since I bought the Wolvs not one issue, just smiles....I do have to space my pedals out a bit more, my boots rub some times. But anywho, to me they were worth every cent I paid for them. Comfy feet and being able to stick with clipless (Crank Bros.) is really good to me. I suck with platforms.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm sure the OP has long ago found boots, but maybe my expensive lesson will help others. I now have Lake 303 and Wolvhammers. The Lakes are not as warm. I bought them because they came in wide, and since no local shops have them I figured my wide feet would fit. When I can find true wide shoes I wear a 9.5 US. I got a 44 (sized bigger) in the Lakes and one pair of wool socks fit, but no more. Sadly my feet would get cold in an hour below 15f with heaters. Quicker if it was colder, or without heaters.

I visited a shop a few cities away to buy moose mits. They had two pairs of Wolvhammer boots in stock, both 46. Way too big I thought, but I had my thick socks on so I tried them on. Perfect. Just enough room for a sock liner or additional insole. It converts to a size 12 US so any internet order would have been a fail, I never would have gone that big. My feet are warm, and sadly my bank account is empty. I spent more on boots this season than I did on all the rest of my MTB footwear since 1992.

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Where is this in Boulder County ?
    It's on Middle St. Vrain Road about 150yds east of the bridge that takes you to the wilderness boundary and Buchanan Pass trail heading back down the north side of the creek and heading east.