mtbr member
    Jan 2015

45NRTH Vanhelga's vs. Vee rubber Bulldozers for year round tires?

I currently ride on Bulldozers and have had mixed feelings as to whether or not I should have gotten Vanhelgas. The dozers have great traction in dirt, mud and snow conditions but seem to have self steer issues, off camber trail conditions seem to make them want to climb up. I hear the vanhelgas have great traction 0 selfsteer and roll pretty fast. Is that the tire I should have gone with or is there another tire that is recommended for a great year around tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It may be true that the specific bike has something to do with the dreaded self steer. Bulldozers came on my Rocky Mt Blizzard and after daily riding for close to 3 months I have not had any issues with self steer on this bike. I did have some self steer issues with my 4 years on my old 9-zero-7. It had Big Fat Larrys. I have been very pleased with the Bulldozers both commuting and on packed single track in all snow conditions..

Rocking on a Rocky
    What is the price of the 45NRTH Vanhelga's
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The self steer with the dozer's virtually goes away once air pressure is 10lbs or above. What kind of pressure do you run?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Vanhelga's are around $155

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have run everything from almost flat to 12 pounds

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Me too.....you may be right. The front geometry probably plays a roll in the self steer issue. When you hit dry trail conditions what do you like? I'm about 200# and run around 10lbs. I wonder if I should try a lil' more pressure

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    I have used Larry, Endomorphs, and Husker Du before getting Van Helgas, all on the same 2012 Mukluk II. Lots of self steer with Larry, & Endomorphs. Self steer much better with Hu Dus, but still present @ low pressures, though much less. Van Helgas: have yet to experience any self steer at all, at any pressure. For me, the Van Helgas are the Goldilocks tire...doing everything well. Have only used them in winter. Fantastic grip, and rolling resistance only marginally greater than the excellent Hu Dus.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank you for the feedback. I really think I'm leaning towards getting a set of Vanhelga's

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    If you do get them, I think you will be pleased with them. Van Helgas have made more actual performance improvement in my winter riding than all other mods lumped together.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am thinking about the Van Helgas and I am currently running V H-Billy's. How is the flotation with them at 4 inches.?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just rode some groomed trails today in Pickney MI today. My friend was running H-Billy's and I was running Bulldozers. The H-Billy's kicked the heck out of the Dozers. They climbed well, cornered well and rolled way better than the Bulldozers. I have a thing for the Vanhelgas so I'm hoping they do as well or better than the H-Billy's

mtbr member
    Bought a new Fuji Wendingo 1.1 Fat bike (it was a demo bike for $850+ double points) and it came w/ 4.7 Bulldozers. They are fast and very nice, I've ridden them btwn 5-10 psi and they've been super grippy and responsive. I'm pretty light (150 lbs) and get zero self steer even at 5 psi. My previous bike was also an old school generic fat bike w/ Vee Mission 4.0's and they had terrible self steer.

I have to say Fuji really has a great bike w/ the Wendngo. It has the 150 front 197 rear and 100mm rims. You can't find a bike for that price point with those options right now. I have looked a the xtreme warrior 29ers, they look really cool too but I got a great deal on the bike I bought.

h16
    mtbr member
    Bulldozer's are not a great snow tire - in case that hasn't been said. This is reported by others in many other posts.

There is some sort of cross-hatch pattern between the knobs which has an incredible velcro effect which causes snow to stick to tire.

Furthermore the knobs are not really that deep, in case you intend to ride in some looser snow.

I spent a weekend in Vermont at Kingdom Trails struggling to keep up with my friends who had 45Nrth and Surly tires (and maybe others) - boy did I regret having taken bulldozers. There are many tires that are better for snow riding as far as I am concerned.

In dry conditions it's a different story. I run bulldozer in rear but not in front - way too much self-steer in front for me at 7 to 9 lbs with a bluto.