45NRTH Sturmfist- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    859

    45NRTH Sturmfist

    I got to put a hand on these babies firsthand, last week. The 4 finger seems about perfect for deep winter riding.



    The aerogel insulation is pretty awesome in the palm and fingers.

  2. #2
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,350
    I am hoping for a mitten version. Gloves don't work in cold weather.
    --Peace

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    933
    while the aerogel is very neat, I have been riding the similarly styled Novara Stratos for a few seasons in the same temps they are claiming the sturmfist is good to. I haven't seen the 45nrth option, and I am sure it is great, but question whether it is double-cost great.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    34,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I am hoping for a mitten version. Gloves don't work in cold weather.
    Exactly, not to mention if you start generating too much heat they trap that heat in too small of an area to effectively manage the moisture. If they do a mitten, make sure it doesn't have "fingers" inside the mittens.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    859
    I'm not sure I'd be so quick to jump to that conclusion.

    With the aerogel insulation, you're getting a good thermal barrier between your hands and the cold. With the wool inserts, you're getting warmth even when wet. I haven't seen their ability to manage moisture yet, but the warmth was impressive.

    I have reynauds and get very cold hands, very quickly. But I don't like riding with mittens because you have to sacrifice the ability to either brake or hold the handlebars when riding in more technical terrain. The 4 finger keeps your smallest fingers warm and allows good bar, brake and shifting control. I think it's a pretty great solution, and look forward to trying them.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tincup69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    497
    Very interested in some of these. Hoping a shop around me gets some in so I can check them out.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    268
    I'm a pogies guy, I don't like the feeling of too much bulk between my hands and the bars, I wonder what these are like in terms of thickness.

  8. #8
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    34,116
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be so quick to jump to that conclusion.

    With the aerogel insulation, you're getting a good thermal barrier between your hands and the cold. With the wool inserts, you're getting warmth even when wet. I haven't seen their ability to manage moisture yet, but the warmth was impressive.

    I have reynauds and get very cold hands, very quickly. But I don't like riding with mittens because you have to sacrifice the ability to either brake or hold the handlebars when riding in more technical terrain. The 4 finger keeps your smallest fingers warm and allows good bar, brake and shifting control. I think it's a pretty great solution, and look forward to trying them.
    IDK, I ride with mittens sometime when it's real cold, and I have reynaulds too.

    Actually, what I do is put mittens in my frame bag with hand-warmers inside, so I can pull them out mid-ride and they are 150F magic, but I haven't found myself having to "bail out" since I also started using the boot-heaters and just gripping them on the handlebar, keeps my fingers nice and toasty with fairly minimal gloves, which is great for technical terrain.

    When using loose/big mittens, I haven't run into the problem you are describing, in fact, I just bought some new ones a few minutes ago. Because I have reynaulds, I simply haven't found anything that works as well as mittens. With big mittens I can operate the brakes just fine and keep the rest of my hands on the bar. Shifters are thumb, so no problems there.

    I use pogies of course, because they allow me to run fairly lightweight gloves that let my hands breath and not get soaked, like an insulated glove usually does.

    Pogies+thin liner type or wind-stopper type gloves most of the time. Thicker liners when it's a bit colder (like low teens to singles) and mittens when it's negatives, all in the pogies of course.

    Of course, as you know, with reynaulds, what happens is my palm will be hot, sweating actually much of the time, but I won't be able to feel my fingers because they will be so numb and cold. It's also quite painful when you finally restore circulation/heat to them, so it's a little scary sometimes. As you also know, no amount of insulation helps, in fact, the glove and insulation becomes a heat-sink, as it reaches the temperature of the environment and there's simply no real blood flow to warm up the digits. Unless the gloves are heated, or there's some way to draw heat to the fingers, they are usually all for naught with this syndrome.

    Handwarmers, boot-heaters especially, are a godsend. I was always kind of skeptical of them, but man, hours of heat is for real.

    I've found insulated gloves (not liner-types or fleece) to be about the worst solution, they easily let the fingers individually cool off, trap too much heat and moisture in the palm, and of course decrease the control over the bike without the heat-benefit of mittens, not to mention how you can put thin liners/regular bike gloves inside pogies and have "normal" control.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    72
    Bump older thread. I picked up a pair of 4's. Nothing short of awesome.

    Took them out for 90 mins in -33C windchill and my hands were never close to chilled. Nor did they sweat like crazy either. End of ride, the merino liners had a hint of dampness, but overall controlled the moisture very well.

    I usually wear a Medium glove, but opted for the large size. While there is room to spare in the glove when just standing around (they seem too big), once you grip the bars they are the perfect fit.

    Dexterity with braking and shifting is not at all compromised. Excellent purchase in my books, as my hands have always been the weakest link in cold weather riding.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I picked up a pair of 4's. Nothing short of awesome.
    Good to hear. What was the price?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by wArden View Post
    Good to hear. What was the price?
    LBS loyalty discount A quick google search....on par with good online prices.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    79
    Bought the 4. Been using them for skiing. Real nice glove

  13. #13
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Old thread bump. Anyone have any experience with the Sturmfist 4's and 5's as well? I tend to run warm hands and usually don't ride if it's below 0F as I'm becoming a wuss. I'm really wondering if the 5 (15F - 35F) would be just fine or if you would noticeably get cold hands close to zero. I'd hate to get the 4's and then have sweating hands, but they do seem like the perfect rated fatbike riding temp range (0F - 15F).
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  14. #14
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,660
    I can get by with fairly thin gloves compared to others, but I'm curious how people can ride with thick gloves? The tactile feel is horrible with thick mitts/gloves (a lot of squirming of the palm)... How can people be comfortable with that feeling???

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  15. #15
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I can get by with fairly thin gloves compared to others, but I'm curious how people can ride with thick gloves? The tactile feel is horrible with thick mitts/gloves (a lot of squirming of the palm)... How can people be comfortable with that feeling???
    I have X0 grip shift so I don't notice. It's fat biking so I've always been used to thick gloves in Minnesota.

    But back to the question...
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    I really wanted to like the Sturmfists, but after trying them a few times along with the Outdoor Research three fingered gloves, I liked the OR ones better. The OR gloves just gave better dexterity and similar warmth, and had some handy wrist straps so I don't drop them in the snow if I take them off. Having three fingers together for warmth worked better for me as well, since I'm a one fingered braker, although flipping the bird isn't an option. I've been running them all winter now and have been loving them.

    Men's Highcamp 3-finger Gloves? | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure | Outdoor Clothing & Gear
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  17. #17
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I really wanted to like the Sturmfists, but after trying them a few times along with the Outdoor Research three fingered gloves, I liked the OR ones better.
    Thanks. Did you have the Sturmfist 4 or 5's?

    And what temps did you use the OR gloves at?
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Thanks. Did you have the Sturmfist 4 or 5's?

    And what temps did you use the OR gloves at?
    My buddy has the 4's and let me test them for a few rides. I've used the OR's down to 0 F- got a cold thumb a few times starting out (same as with Sturms), but once my blood got pumping everything was good. I've typically had very cold extremities when riding, hence using Wolvhammers and Cobrafists on my Fatboy, but was pleasantly surprised with the OR gloves. I'm guessing if I ever had the desire to ride in -20F a OR/Cobrafist combo would keep my hands toasty.

    One point of note: I will say the Sturms have a better insulated palm if you are running aluminum bars, but that is also why they have less dexterity at the controls. If you are running carbon bars I don't think it is much of an issue.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    I have the Sturmfist 4 and done a few rides with them so far. Temp's have been no colder than -8C and they have been nice and warm without inserts. I don't find them too bulky.
    I'm running XTR brakes and shifters and using Ruffion grips.
    I carry the inserts with me in case it does get chilly (but haven't needed them yet).

    What I like most about them is the long cuff and how easy they are to take on and off if I need to do something with bare hands.

  20. #20
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    My buddy has the 4's and let me test them for a few rides. I've used the OR's down to 0 F- got a cold thumb a few times starting out (same as with Sturms), but once my blood got pumping everything was good. I've typically had very cold extremities when riding
    Hmm. Those OR's may be good for me then, I tend to run warmer hands. The price on the Sturmfists is tough to swallow but if they last and work I'm sure it's worth it. Thanks for the input.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  21. #21
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,301
    The new Pearl Izumi amfib 4 finger gloves are pretty rad. Warmer than their lobsters and the cuff is a lot better. It's got a cinch that can be used to tighten it to trap more air in the hand part, or loosen to breathe a bit. I haven't used them below 4F, but my hands were fine once I warmed up.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  22. #22
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The new Pearl Izumi amfib 4 finger gloves are pretty rad. Warmer than their lobsters and the cuff is a lot better. It's got a cinch that can be used to tighten it to trap more air in the hand part, or loosen to breathe a bit. I haven't used them below 4F, but my hands were fine once I warmed up.
    This one correct?
    45NRTH Sturmfist-download.jpg

    I had looked at that too but the OCD in me doesn't dig the neon colors, and also price is getting up towards the Sturmfists which uses actual wool and leather, where the AmFIB is all synthetic. I do like the cinch strap, and they do look less "bulky" than the Sturms.

    Thanks for your thoughts on them.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  23. #23
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,823
    I picked up a pair of these Bontrager winter gloves in the bargain box of my LBS last summer. They've been working for me down to 15 - 20F, and they're not too bulky to interefere with shifting. For temps below that, I switch to pogies.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  24. #24
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I picked up a pair of these Bontrager winter gloves in the bargain box of my LBS last summer. They've been working for me down to 15 - 20F, and they're not too bulky to interefere with shifting. For temps below that, I switch to pogies.
    I'm almost thinking I might go the pogie route. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves I like, but they only work above 20 or right around that. Then I have to switch to my big ol bulky gloves. The new wolftooth pogies are tempting.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  25. #25
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,301
    I understand the hesitation on color. They're great for commuting but they clash with my pink ESI grips.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Similar Threads

  1. 45NRTH Cobrafist
    By canadiandave in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM
  2. New 45NRTH gloves
    By Hand/of/Midas in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 08:11 AM
  3. 45Nrth Cobrafist
    By evandy in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 08:24 AM
  4. So that 45NRTH chain?
    By buckfiddious in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  5. ETA of 45NRTH Gravdal
    By JordyB in forum Commuting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.