mtbr member
    Oct 2009

45Nrth Dillinger 4 versus Terrene Cake Eater 4.0

After racing the MN Arctic Fever Fat Bike race this past weekend in 5F temps and with 30% of the course being polished ice, I've had it with my Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 tires. They roll so slow in cold temps, and the grip just wasn't what I needed, even after I changed out the Vee stock pointy studs to flat tip studs (Which did help with grip, but just not enough).

So I am in the market for some new fast rolling studded tires. I have a set of wheels with Dunderbeist and Flowbeist tires, and those meet my needs for a lot of the riding I do in the midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota). I am riding mostly groomed trails, or groomed with some fresh snow over them, and the beists have been incredible. But over the past two years we've had some freeze thaw cycles in the middle of winter that often result in ice on the trail. So I want something studded for when the ice hits. Also, I want something that is fast rolling, and since I'm not looking to ride through deep powder, I want to stick with a 4" tire. My 4.8" Vee tires feel like they just slide over the snow/ice instead of biting down in to the surface.

I've narrowed it down to the Dillingers, Cake Eaters, and maybe the Wazias. The Dillinger 4's seem to be pretty popular at the races around here. The Cake Eaters are relatively new so I am not finding a lot of reviews of them. Has anybody ridden the Cake Eaters and the Dillingers that would be able to help me decide between these two tires?

Thanks!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    So I just installed the Studded 4.6 Cake Eaters last week and had two rides on them so far. Both packed snow over ice and fresh 6 inch on grass. I never slipped at all until I was trying to start on an incline in the fresh 6 inch area. One of my rides was down a hill on a packed dirt road at speeds of 16mph according to Strava. I gave up before the tires lost traction just because I am still so new at it and a little uneasy at speed. Will try the same Hill decent next weekend and will push a little faster to see what they have. Sorry no experience with the Dillinger.

mtbr member
    Iíve run both the Wazia and Cake Eaters in non snow condition (non studded) in the warmer months. I personaly feel that the CE is a much faster rolling tire that the Wazia. But cannot comment on a comparison in snow. I run Wazia 4.6 studded in winter.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i have had Cakies 27.5x4 on 65's for a few months now. They roll fast, and have tremendous side lugs. Center tread is serrated, which is nice on wet rock/root.

I ran them in wet and dry snow, and, well, definitely not my favorite setup. My wrathchilds crush them. Much larger knobs, wider tread

However, I think i will take the cakie over the hodag. So, my plan is to run them in non snow conditions. my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i have had Cakies 27.5x4 on 65's for a few months now. They roll fast, and have tremendous side lugs. Center tread is serrated, which is nice on wet rock/root.

I ran them in wet and dry snow, and, well, definitely not my favorite setup. My wrathchilds crush them. Much larger knobs, wider tread

However, I think i will take the cakie over the hodag. So, my plan is to run them in non snow conditions. my 2 cents...
    Interesting to hear about the CE's in the snow. I was considering some 27.5x4 versions for warmer weather use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have the D5, D4s and Cake Eaters 27.5x4 all studded. My everyday tire is the D5 and the D4's i got for racing. most of the tracks around here are packed and usually icy. Of all of them the Dillingers roll the best and i would say the D5 is my favorite. However if the course is really icy i like the D4 as it puts more pressure on the studs and float is not an issue. where it gets tricky is the CE is close in rolling resistance but it is taller in overall diameter. this makes if go over things better than the D4. the CE is about the same OD as the D5 but is has more ground pressure for better ice traction. if you can only have one and are looking for a fast packed to icy race tire i would say D4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    I have the D5, D4s and Cake Eaters 27.5x4 all studded. My everyday tire is the D5 and the D4's i got for racing. most of the tracks around here are packed and usually icy. Of all of them the Dillingers roll the best and i would say the D5 is my favorite. However if the course is really icy i like the D4 as it puts more pressure on the studs and float is not an issue. where it gets tricky is the CE is close in rolling resistance but it is taller in overall diameter. this makes if go over things better than the D4. the CE is about the same OD as the D5 but is has more ground pressure for better ice traction. if you can only have one and are looking for a fast packed to icy race tire i would say D4.
    Thanks for the great comparison. Have you run them in soft snow conditions? I'm on D5's and love them in just about everything but I wonder if there might be a "baby-step" gain in traction out there without giving up the good rolling of the D5's. Had Bud-Lou combo previously. Awesome traction but they would slow to a stop sometimes on downhills! Couldn't believe the difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I would likely use these tires mostly for racing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was actually out this morning on the D5s in about 3 inches of powder over a packed base. traction was good but i think the d4's would have cut through better and hooked up on the packed base.

A lot of it comes to course conditions. if it a packed course i would go narrower for less RR and better ice traction. if softer course i would run the D5's. they will give you traction on the ice but also float.

If you are looking for a baby-step in traction go D4. they roll just as well on packed trails and will give you better ice traction. just make sure you don't need float. that will be noticeably lacking compared to your D5s

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by rjkowski View Post
    After racing the MN Arctic Fever Fat Bike race this past weekend in 5F temps and with 30% of the course being polished ice, I've had it with my Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 tires. They roll so slow in cold temps, and the grip just wasn't what I needed,

Clarify: the grip on snow, or ice, wasn't what you needed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Clarify: the grip on snow, or ice, wasn't what you needed?
    I had good grip on the polished ice (Not as good as my friend who was running grip studs and blew by me on the glare ice in a turn), but enough that I wasn't worried about sliding out. But where I really struggled was any time I strayed off of the packed in track from the riders ahead of me. Once the Snowshoe tires hit the transition from a packed trail to soft snow, the front end would slide out. They just couldn't handle the transition well. I feel like it was a lack of grip in the side knobs on the tire.

So what I am looking for is a tire that has some bite. Looking at the profiles, the Dillingers seem to have a more aggressive side lug, but looks can be deceiving. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have ridden the cake eaters to get insights on how the tire handles the transition from packed to loose snow.

This place needs an enema
    I had good grip on the polished ice (Not as good as my friend who was running grip studs and blew by me on the glare ice in a turn), but enough that I wasn't worried about sliding out. But where I really struggled was any time I strayed off of the packed in track from the riders ahead of me. Once the Snowshoe tires hit the transition from a packed trail to soft snow, the front end would slide out. They just couldn't handle the transition well. I feel like it was a lack of grip in the side knobs on the tire.

So what I am looking for is a tire that has some bite. Looking at the profiles, the Dillingers seem to have a more aggressive side lug, but looks can be deceiving. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have ridden the cake eaters to get insights on how the tire handles the transition from packed to loose snow.

Good info.

I don't know what your specific conditions are like, but in any soft snow I've ridden the XL's have better soft-snow grip than anything you're considering.

Probably the only thing that's going to improve on it will be the Wrathchlid.

Essentially, if you want it to be better in soft snow you have to give up some speed on hardpack. No free lunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Cake Eaters do the exact same thing when switching from packed snow to soft. It drives me nuts. I thought the larger side knobs would help, but it really hasnít. Almost no lateral grip.

Iím probably going to bite the bullet and mount a Wrathchild up front. I might even try a Dillinger 5 if I can find a deal on one.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the D5's of D4's, I can comment on the CE that I just added to a fresh set of HED BAD wheelset I had built. Live in Western Michigan so snow conditions have been here for the to try some studded 4.6's and I will say, for being a newish rider in winter, these tires have me more confidence than I thought i would have. Roll fast, grip really well and just an awesome tire, sadly the 4.6's are a little large for my sram eagle and it causes the chain to rub a little, so I will be down sizing to 4.0's. I will throw this out there for $150 a tire, already studded, these are a dream.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

I'm in MN and ride predominantly at Elm Creek. I rode studded XL's for 1 season. Last year I rode a pair of FBF's that I drilled stud pockets and studded. This year I switched to Wrathchilds. Tire changes have been searching for good lateral grip/washout prevention.

XL's were OK in straight line but were dicey on off camber or turning in loose snow. I had pointy studs then switched to flat tip that seemed to help ice grip some. They got pretty slow when it was cold.

FBF looked like beefy tread that seemed like it would grip well. It was probably a little better than XL's for washout. They seemed to hold on better but when they went they went. My ice grip was pretty good with just 130 studs. I rode the trails that were luge tracks with them last year after all the warmth and rain. I rode some Bud/Lous through same exact drifted golf course this fall back to back with FBF and couldn't get them to slide so I decided it was either grip stud a set of Buds or go with Wrathchilds.

Went with Wrathchilds. They seem pretty good in packed conditions. I rode them Sunday and finished my ride at 6 in a couple inches of the fluffy snow. They seemed to grip pretty good. Overall there almost seems to be a dead spot between the outer most row of lugs and the center tread. If you hit the deadspot it'll slide a little but then the outer lugs or center lugs grab and you can save it. They do grip much better than the FBF's too. I've never ridden any size dillinger or Terrene for comparison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

With this info i would say look at the Wazia and the Wrathchild. the Wazia will roll faster and have good loose snow grip. the wrathchild will have better loose grip but more rolling resistance. then pick based on your conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks to all who have responded with their experience, suggestions, and advice.

I am very happy with my Dunderbeist and Flowbeist tires on the groomed trails I usually ride and also in the 4" of fresh snow I got to ride in this past Monday. For being aggressive tires they also roll surprisingly well. If I am out riding for fun, I will happily sacrifice some speed for stability and traction. In fact, the Beists have really pushed me to get rid of my Snowshoes and look for something for racing. It sounds like arguments can be made for both the Dillinger and the cake eater to fit that need.

Keep the info coming while I try to make a decision about which tires to go add to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I am running the cake eaters on a 65mm rim. I wouldn't consider them great in the soft snow. But, I think that when talking about good tires in soft snow it's more about not making it suck more then actually being "good". With that being said I think they do exactly what they were meant for. A good, fast rolling tire that will give you the extra traction on slippery packed surface/ice and work very well on groomed or at least well packed trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

I'm thinking that 65 is the perfect rim width for 3.8"- 4.0" on dirt. Who the frig makes one in a 27.5?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspagat View Post
    I'm thinking that 65 is the perfect rim width for 3.8"- 4.0" on dirt. Who the frig makes one in a 27.5?
    SunRingle offers their 27.5 mulefut in 50mm width, but not 65mm. I'm running some Jumbo Jim 4.0's on a set of Rabbit hole 50m rims for my dirt wheels and they are phenomenal. In fact, they are so good that after I put a Mastodon on my fat bike and got this wheel and tire combo, I decided I no longer need my hard tail 29er. If you are looking for a set of narrower 27.5's for dirt, maybe those would work for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have a sun ringle mulefut in 65mm. They come as spec on the Rocky Mountain Suze Q. I do remember reading that they were made specifically for that bike but I would imagine a phone call might find you a pair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I need to get rid of the Cake Eater 4.6 on the front of my Voytek. Its downright scary in corners. Itís washed out way too much and hasnít recovered.

Iím thinking Wrathchild is the way to go.

sluice box
    Terrene Cake Walker 5.05 prototypes are at Speedway. Sick on 100s.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Terrene Cake Walker 5.05 prototypes are at Speedway. Sick on 100s.
    Any pics?

sluice box
    ptarmigan hardcore

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Must have.
    --Peace

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Resurrecting this thread for the new snow season. I appreciate the comparisons so far. Can anybody add a Gnarwhal comparison (studded, various snow & ice conditions)? TIA!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)