42T cog- Mtbr.com

Thread: 42T cog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

42T cog

Any other company than Oneup doing a 42T cog ? And where is the best price to order ? Thanks !

Rocking on a Rocky
    Wolf tooth and Hope.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouden View Post
    Any other company than Oneup doing a 42T cog ? And where is the best price to order ? Thanks !

Buy from oneup and if you have shimano shadow+ rear mech, make sure you order a rad cage as it improves shifting vastly.

mtbr member
    Wolf Tooth at WesternBikeworks.com $76.49 after the 15% coupon you get when you sign up for their email.

mtbr member
    I got an e*thirteen from Art's Cyclery. The listed price is $65.99 but they usually have some sort of discount code available (I paid $53 for mine) and free shipping to the U.S.
    MOLE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought a One Up because it now comes with a 16 cog also, which helps the mid range step. I don't know the price, because after riding it, the price didn't matter - awesome. My drive train is SRAM. I'm running a stock rd, no issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the infos. For e*thirteen cog, some folks on the web say that it is less reliable because it's made of aluminium.

B2
    I have a wolf tooth and it works well. Really easy to instal. What size ring are you people running up front? I live in the high rockies and do a lot of climbing so I am running a 30.
    Seems about right for when the snow hits.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    30T too. Sram set up.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouden View Post
    Thanks for the infos. For e*thirteen cog, some folks on the web say that it is less reliable because it's made of aluminium.

their all made of aluminum . Hope, wolf, one up, etc. All are machined aluminum

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I picked up the Wolftooth 42T and 16T cogs (for XT cassette). I am running X9 Type2 Mid RD and Hope Hubs. I had the LBS dial it all in and it all shifts well, but I have been noticing allot more freewheel play when riding now, I am not sure if that is a result of a longer b-screw or if just some adjustment needs to be made.

Has anyone else been experiencing allot of freewheel play? That is the best term I can come up with for it. It seems like when you start pedaling again there is a few degrees of movement before it engages and is quite noticeable. I have several wheels for my fat bike and 29" with Hope hubs and have never felt this much "play" before...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongerken View Post
    I picked up the Wolftooth 42T and 16T cogs (for XT cassette). I am running X9 Type2 Mid RD and Hope Hubs. I had the LBS dial it all in and it all shifts well, but I have been noticing allot more freewheel play when riding now, I am not sure if that is a result of a longer b-screw or if just some adjustment needs to be made.

Has anyone else been experiencing allot of freewheel play? That is the best term I can come up with for it. It seems like when you start pedaling again there is a few degrees of movement before it engages and is quite noticeable. I have several wheels for my fat bike and 29" with Hope hubs and have never felt this much "play" before...
    This may feel like your freehub is not engaging the same, but it is just the larger diameter cog in your cluster causing this sensation. Should feel the same as your original setup when in any cassette position other than the 42t.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 98srx6 View Post
    This may feel like your freehub is not engaging the same, but it is just the larger diameter cog in your cluster causing this sensation. Should feel the same as your original setup when in any cassette position other than the 42t.
    Yep, just the POE of your freehub doing their thing. The distance between them is measured in degrees, so when translated to the linear portion of the circumference of a cog, it is longer for larger cogs.

Those Onyx hubs with instant engagement are going to be a hit with the big cassette crowd for this reason. If they were available a few months ago, I'd have probably bought them instead of the Hopes. But that's fine. At some point, I'd like to build a second wheelset so I can have a "summer" wheel and a "winter" wheel, with the summer rims at about 65mm and the winter ones as wide as I can fit in my bike.

sluice box

Members who have read this thread: 0