4" tire, 50mm rim, Summer setup, pros? cons? Just plain silly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

4" tire, 50mm rim, Summer setup, pros? cons? Just plain silly?

Have read some of the much older threads regarding 4" tires on 50mm rims, this is specific to the 26" platform as I have some rabbit holes sitting here. At that time it seemed like most were saying it was a "fun" combination, but limited to summer useage primarily, and was even terrain dependant.

Is anybody on here still running this combo, and if so when and why? what do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

I am thinking that it might be fun as it seems like the western slope Colorado area doesn't get much weather variation, but are rocky, sand washed. I tend to feel like the wheels get pulled around a bit, but I'm sure it is my wide-ass tire on a skinny trail more so than being on a 70mm rim, but I was thinking if I rounded the tire more with the narrow rims it might result in some good fun.
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post

Is anybody on here still running this combo, and if so when and why? what do you like about it, what don't you like about it?
    Yes,
    When? Summer (Southcentral Alaska)
    Why? I've been tinkering with the fatbike platform for years, starting with Snowcat wheels then going half fat with a fat front fork. Then Gregg at Speedway got me to buy one of his 170mm space bikes. I rode it for one summer with the Uma 70 wheels and Larrys. Next summer I picked up a set of Paul Hubs and built them onto Velocity Duallys and I set them up tubeless with HuDu. Fully ridged this was my bike for single track and bikepacking mountain passes. Next summer same set up and added a Lauf fork. Next summer retired the Lauf to winter only and added a 100mm Manitou Mastodon and switched out the HuDu tires for Jumbo Jims. That gets us to how I have the bike set up today. I ditched the 26x4.0 wheelset for 27.5+ when I built up a set of Velocity Duallys on some Onyx Hubs and run Nobby Nic 2.8 up front and Rocket Ron 3.0 in the rear. I have the Paul x Dually x Jumbo Jim set up if I'm doing any long beach rides (Homer to Kenai)type stuff.
    What do I like about this set up? it is light. with the Jumbo Jim lightskins tubeless on Duallys with the Paul hubs. Crazy light, roll fast, good traction. I did like the first gen HuDu just a little better.
    What I don't like? The tires are thin and not much side wall protection on a skinny rim. Sharp rocky shale mountain passes and spruce hemlock rainforest trails always had me worried. I never had a flat in the backcountry with this set up but I was always prepared for one. If you want a single track ripper that you can take hard into the berms and launch the features, you will be pushing the limits of this set up. You can feel the tires rolling on you even with them pumped to higher psi. Granted my set up at 44mm is skinner than the 50mm you are asking about. I keep toying with the idea of using the 26 inch Duallys on my Dig Dummy with Big Apples and building up the Paul hubs on some 29+ Duallys. I probably won't. They do make a good beach bikepacking tire for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4" tire, 50mm rim, Summer setup, pros? cons? Just plain silly?-20190615_113408-small.jpg  

ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks! Good input for sure. Do you think the tires themselves in your situation are causing some of those issues? I've heard that the JJ's are kind of like that, especially the lightskins.
    I would probably run heavier casing tires, like the Van Helga's or the durable Teravail Coronado's. I'm also not a "ripper" by any means, but would like to regain a bit of playfulness.
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I ran 50I rims with 26 and now 27.5...with Hodags in the summer.
    The sweet spot for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Thanks! Good input for sure. Do you think the tires themselves in your situation are causing some of those issues? I've heard that the JJ's are kind of like that, especially the lightskins.
    I would probably run heavier casing tires, like the Van Helga's or the durable Teravail Coronado's. I'm also not a "ripper" by any means, but would like to regain a bit of playfulness.
    How do you like those Taravail coronados? I am thinking about using those on 65mm rims for summer fat fun. 27.5 tire size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Use Vittoria Airliners to help with tire roll and squirm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Use Vittoria Airliners to help with tire roll and squirm.
    They come in sizes for 4 tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    They come in sizes for 4 tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep! At least they used to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    close to 50 mm

I have 3.8" and 4.5", on 26" at 47 mm or 100 mm.

3.8 on 47 works, but the rim rolls left & right like it's floating on top of the tire. Interesting ride by times. Reduce pressure for grip or to get more float from a larger contact patch and it's worse, barely usable. Keeps you on your toes and requires a careful balance between pressure and conditions.

4.5 on 47 mm - that was just plain stupid, but I had to try it. Herding not steering.

My most common combo is 3.8 on 47 mm on the front, with 4.5 on 100 mm on the rear. Works, but not ideal.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    3.8 on 47 works, but the rim rolls left & right like it's floating on top of the tire. Interesting ride by times. Reduce pressure for grip or to get more float from a larger contact patch and it's worse, barely usable. Keeps you on your toes and requires a careful balance between pressure and conditions.
    Seriously, try Vittoria Airliners. I feel like a Vittoria rep, but they really work.

This place needs an enema
    I run 3.8" tires on 50mm rims for desert/summer riding. Perfect.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I run 3.8" tires on 50mm rims for desert/summer riding. Perfect.
    I do the same, minus the desert part.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    I enjoy a pair of 3.8's on my 50's! It seems to work very well for a beanpole of a rider.
    The destinations are very similar to Mike's write-ups since we live in and close to excellent trail systems.

The Sarge V3 should be even better as a rigid setup, backcountry explorer with 3.8/4.0's.

Jason, I say, go for it and make use of the Rabbit Holes with 3.8's. You might find it very utilitarian. Playing with air pressure will be a continuing experiment as you encounter varying conditions. Should be loads o' fun!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...