4 inch tyres on old pugsley?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5

    4 inch tyres on old pugsley?

    Hi, First time posting!

    I'm really close to buying a used surly pugsley(old frame) for mainly bikepacking/touring.
    I'm wondering if anyone has used 4 inch tyres on 80mm rims with the older generation frames? Seems like the options for 3.8's are pretty limited and I'm a bit concerned I would struggle finding them if I needed a replacement mid trip.
    Thanks! Robbie

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    Hi, First time posting!

    I'm really close to buying a used surly pugsley(old frame) for mainly bikepacking/touring.
    I'm wondering if anyone has used 4 inch tyres on 80mm rims with the older generation frames? Seems like the options for 3.8's are pretty limited and I'm a bit concerned I would struggle finding them if I needed a replacement mid trip.
    Thanks! Robbie
    I have a 2012 pugs (old) frame. I just had the tires replaced. 3.8 are the only option.

  3. #3
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,855
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    Hi, First time posting!

    I'm really close to buying a used surly pugsley(old frame) for mainly bikepacking/touring.
    I'm wondering if anyone has used 4 inch tyres on 80mm rims with the older generation frames? Seems like the options for 3.8's are pretty limited and I'm a bit concerned I would struggle finding them if I needed a replacement mid trip.
    Thanks! Robbie
    There are plenty of 3.8/4.0 tire styles to choose from. Surly, Bonty, SpecialEd, Schwalbe, Teravail, Vee Flubber.
    As for needing a replacement on a trip, fat of any size can be scarce on the shelf be it fat 3.8-4.8 or plus for that matter.
    Don't fret on that one, a bush fix is more on tap with fatbikes than we realize since many areas they are considered too "niche" to stock at the LBS's.
    It all gets down to destination and its demographic for fat and plus tires.

    Get out and ride, be vigilant, observant and enjoy the time spent adventuring.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    There are plenty of 3.8/4.0 tire styles to choose from. Surly, Bonty, SpecialEd, Schwalbe, Teravail, Vee Flubber.
    As for needing a replacement on a trip, fat of any size can be scarce on the shelf be it fat 3.8-4.8 or plus for that matter.
    Don't fret on that one, a bush fix is more on tap with fatbikes than we realize since many areas they are considered too "niche" to stock at the LBS's.
    It all gets down to destination and its demographic for fat and plus tires.

    Get out and ride, be vigilant, observant and enjoy the time spent adventuring.
    Thanks, great to hear words like this! So you think a 4 inch tyre would fit a pug similar to a 3.8?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    964
    4" tires will absolutely fit a pugsley.
    I run 3.8, 4.0, 4.6 in my pugsley with No issues. (4.6" is a snow only tire) you could run the jumbo jim 4 or 4.4, or even the surly edna 4.3

  6. #6
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,855
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    Thanks, great to hear words like this! So you think a 4 inch tyre would fit a pug similar to a 3.8?
    As Redlands pointed out. You should be able to get away with 4.0-4.4 on the earlier frames and perhaps a wee bit fatter on the newer models.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    There are plenty of 3.8/4.0 tire styles to choose from. Surly, Bonty, SpecialEd, Schwalbe, Teravail, Vee Flubber.
    As for needing a replacement on a trip, fat of any size can be scarce on the shelf be it fat 3.8-4.8 or plus for that matter.
    Don't fret on that one, a bush fix is more on tap with fatbikes than we realize since many areas they are considered too "niche" to stock at the LBS's.
    It all gets down to destination and its demographic for fat and plus tires.

    Get out and ride, be vigilant, observant and enjoy the time spent adventuring.
    please post a link to the website that sells new 4.0 tires

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    As Redlands pointed out. You should be able to get away with 4.0-4.4 on the earlier frames and perhaps a wee bit fatter on the newer models.
    4.0 is max. if you go with a moonlander fork you can go wider on the front.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    964
    https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/schwalb...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    https://www.treefortbikes.com/45NRTH...ike-Tire-26x40

    I have run a 4.4 on an 80mm rim in the back of the pugsley no issues. 4.6" tire works in the back as well on both 65mm/70mm inner width rims. It can rub the chain ever so slightly in some situations, but fits frame fine.
    The Moonlander fork will get you a bigger tire for sure, but even the offset fork (at least the straight blade version) will easily take a 4.6" on an 80mm rim
    Last edited by Redlands R&C; 05-31-2020 at 11:25 AM. Reason: additional link
    Silly bike things happening.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat-in-Fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    please post a link to the website that sells new 4.0 tires
    Here's one:

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Nate...-Tubeless-Tire

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Specialize...ol-26-Fat-Tire
    '18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5

    Pugsley

    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Seems as though you can't really get 65mm rims anymore which is a shame.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat-in-Fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Seems as though you can't really get 65mm rims anymore which is a shame.
    Yes I think many were hoping for a tubeless version of the Marge Lite, these are close though:

    https://fatbikes.ca/product/lythic-r...at-rim-canada/
    '18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Yes I think many were hoping for a tubeless version of the Marge Lite, these are close though:

    https://fatbikes.ca/product/lythic-r...at-rim-canada/
    Mmm, I've had my eye on them! If I can get them in the UK it would be awesome. Have you used them?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    964
    I run the lythics and very happy with them. For your 80mm rim, do try to stay on the smaller side (4.0/4.2) and you will be just fine. For bigger tires, go narrower rim

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat-in-Fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    Mmm, I've had my eye on them! If I can get them in the UK it would be awesome. Have you used them?
    I haven't but I do have the MOBD from Surly which are a similar if not identical design (80mm though), they're excellent rims and set up tubeless easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 inch tyres on old pugsley?-surlymobd-jjs.jpg  

    '18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    I run the lythics and very happy with them. For your 80mm rim, do try to stay on the smaller side (4.0/4.2) and you will be just fine. For bigger tires, go narrower rim
    That's good to know. I'm a little concerned for their durability as they're billed as 'lightest alloy fat bike rims'. How do you think they would hold up as a bikepacking setup?

  17. #17
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,855
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    please post a link to the website that sells new 4.0 tires
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5792 That should provide a good list of current 3.8/4.0 options.

    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    4.0 is max. if you go with a moonlander fork you can go wider on the front.
    There are a host of forks available. That is the easy part and the rear, being fixed is the stumbling point.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12
    Old Pugsley frame will safely clear BFL on 80mm rim. I don't know if there would be derailleur chain rub issues as I don't use them. Not sure about the offset fork, either.

  19. #19
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,761
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBlease View Post
    That's good to know. I'm a little concerned for their durability as they're billed as 'lightest alloy fat bike rims'. How do you think they would hold up as a bikepacking setup?

    They're great rims that build into durable wheels. Unless you're prone to slamming roots/rocks/curbs without unweighting, or don't check your tire pressures often, there's little to worry about.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    20
    I personally run Van Helga's 4.0 and the new 4.2 on my 2014 Pugsley in the rear and they work fine. Also Ran a Surly Edna 4.3" in the rear too which was fine. I have 65mm Marge Lite rims and I usually run between 5-12PSI depending on what I am riding.

    I would highly recommend any of those above for a good Pugsley tire that is fairly fast and has great traction on snow and dirt.




    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    They're great rims that build into durable wheels. Unless you're prone to slamming roots/rocks/curbs without unweighting, or don't check your tire pressures often, there's little to worry about.

Similar Threads

  1. Stache Tyres - Feedback on tyres you've tried?
    By surfinsmiley in forum Trek
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-26-2016, 12:20 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 07:36 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM
  5. Advice on switching from 2.5" tyres to 2.3" tyres on VP-Free
    By ChevronBoyde in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM

Members who have read this thread: 56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.