Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.8 Knard?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

4.8 Knard?

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/knard_26_x_4.8
    Details? Maybe they'll show it at Interbike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Now where's the Bud 3.8 for the front of my Bucksaw?

mtbr member
    I wonder what it weighs? I really liked the stock 3.8" Knard that came on my Fatback.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 4.8 Knard?

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Now where's the Bud 3.8 for the front of my Bucksaw?
    Its here: http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/nate_tire

mtbr member

4.8 Knard?

I bet tons of new tires will be out of Interbike. Well not out buy announced. My LBS Cycle logical buddy/owner will be there. He will give a good report on fatbike stuff. He is gonna be riding the echo this winter after selling his yampa.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah a 3.8" bud would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    I bet tons of new tires will be out of Interbike. Well not out buy announced.
    Sadly that doesn't mean anything Surly announced a 29+ Dirt Wizard for last Interbike and we still don't have it....that's for a platform that has had only 1 tire too choose from for most of past 2 years.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Sadly that doesn't mean anything Surly announced a 29+ Dirt Wizard for last Interbike and we still don't have it....that's for a platform that has had only 1 tire too choose from for most of past 2 years.
    Yeah. Feeling itchy for that tire.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    This sounds right up my alley, can't wait to see some weights.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Re the Dirt Wizzard, perhaps Surly ordered a boat load of Knards, but didn't sell as many as hoped (it's a poor tyre in my opinion) - so they're sitting on a pile of them, maybe the Dirt Wizzard is delayed until they've made a dent in the pile. Actually it's pretty poor to launch a new bike with only 1 tyre option for 2 years!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing View Post
    Knards, but didn't sell as many as hoped (it's a poor tyre in my opinion)
    do tell.

mtbr member
    I NEED these......

Human Test Subject
    Options are always good, but I don't see myself switching from BFLs to these. If I were switching from B/L to a more reasonable summer tire I'd go Jumbo Jim.

If these start coming stock on Moonlanders I'd use em up before upgrading though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Nate is more of a Lou jr. The directional pattern and grip of the Bud can be quite spectacular in the right kind of snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbar View Post
    Nate is more of a Lou jr. The directional pattern and grip of the Bud can be quite spectacular in the right kind of snow.
    Interestingly Salsa's new Blackborrow 5" fatty uses Lous at both ends.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Are these yet available?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J-whiskey View Post
    Are these yet available?
    Qbp said that they will not be available til spring. I would imagine that means almost summer as new products go.

mtbr member
    Well... spring has sprung. A pair of 4.8" Knards would be pretty nice right around now...

I hate that name.
    April.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    April.

Promise?

bigger than you.
    Vaporware.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Vaporware.
    I don't think so. They've made a prototype already and it'd probably be a pretty good seller. Time will tell.

bigger than you.
    they've been talking about them for a year. Until we can buy them, they are vaporware. Last I heard, they're not available anywhere, for any price.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    April is correct

I hate that name.
    Not my promise to promise. But QBP shows 4-1 eta.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Double post. See below.
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 03-15-2015 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Surly doesn't release new products anymore. They just announce them. Once people forget about this one, they'll announce another one that'll never get released.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Don't be so cynical. Surly has come a LONG way from the 1x1 days, and I get the impression the explosion of fat bikes (10 years since the Pugs was released) lately has forced them to scramble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Right now I am torn between JJ and Knard 4.8". Now if they just madea 4.8" Hudu, I would be in heaven.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    we all surely know what an april 1st release date means?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Surly doesn't release new products anymore. They just announce them. Once people forget about this one, they'll announce another one that'll never get released.
    +1.

I like a lot of their products and even humor but Surly's style wears thin sometimes. This is how not to do a product preview.

vs.

How to do a product preview and bring it to market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzINzdJcfo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    +1.

I like a lot of their products and even humor but Surly's style wears thin sometimes. This is how not to do a product preview.
    That's the beauty of QBP if you don't dig Surly you buy from 45N or one of their other brands and thinking you got to make a choice you still give the mothership your $$.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I always find that funny too "I'm not going to support Surly, I'll buy from Salsa (or 45Nrth or...) etc. vice-versa.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's the beauty of QBP if you don't dig Surly you buy from 45N or one of their other brands and thinking you got to make a choice you still give the mothership your $$.
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I always find that funny too "I'm not going to support Surly, I'll buy from Salsa (or 45Nrth or...) etc. vice-versa.
    For the record: The point I was trying to make wasn't that I am not supporting Surly in protest. Rather, it is clear that QBP is capable of hiring people (45Nrth) that can communicate with a customer base and bring products to market. How many people bought into 29er+ with the promise/hope of having a better tire available only to be stuck with knards for the past 2 years?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That Surly vid really shows how arrogant they are. It's one thing to make fun of the fact you can bring items to market, but it wouldn't kill them to be a little humble.

The whole "we do what we want, when we want to do it, because we can" thing wears really thin....really ****ing fast.

The public isn't alone in feeling this way. Ask some of the big dealers how they feel about their products, supply chain, inventory, and you will get some cross looks.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Not my promise to promise. But QBP shows 4-1 eta.
    April Fool's day. That's fitting.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    That Surly vid really shows how arrogant they are. It's one thing to make fun of the fact you can bring items to market, but it wouldn't kill them to be a little humble.

The whole "we do what we want, when we want to do it, because we can" thing wears really thin....really ****ing fast.

The public isn't alone in feeling this way. Ask some of the big dealers how they feel about their products, supply chain, inventory, and you will get some cross looks.
    The whole "we're so É@Ęking hipster, racing sucks, check out my sweet beard" schtick has worn rather thin. You nailed it, it's really arrogant. It's brilliant, in the same way that Harley Davidson has grown legions of loyal fanboy customers in spite of any semblance of performance and mediocre quality, but nonetheless, a little goes a long way. I'm over it.

mtbr member
    Then there's the 29+ Dirt Wizards. I fully understand that the delay of the 29+ Dirt Wizards have destroyed your life and your will to ride. Maybe they'll be here sooner than we've let on. Maybe we just canceled them and we're leading you on. Maybe we've been delaying them because it's so entertaining to hear people whine. Maybe I should quit typing before I get into too much trouble.
    ^^^^ from the Surly Blog today.....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

bigger than you.
    more Surly hipster douchery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Surly does well IN SPITE OF THEIR marketing department. It used to be that they made cool products that no one else made but the market is expanding and there are other options. Aren't they blowing out instigators for $599 with tires and rims? Cool useful products sell themselves with or without knarly beards and sarcastic dry wit humor.

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    The whole "we're so É@Ęking hipster, racing sucks, check out my sweet beard" schtick has worn rather thin. You nailed it, it's really arrogant. It's brilliant, in the same way that Harley Davidson has grown legions of loyal fanboy customers in spite of any semblance of performance and mediocre quality, but nonetheless, a little goes a long way. I'm over it.
    Well said Gigantic!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm going to give this guy the benefit of doubt and say that its likely one of the two options below that applies to his poor product review.

1) He is not comfortable in front of a camera.
    2) He was put in this position by surprise with little time to prepare.

If neither of these are true then Surly really needs to find some better quality people to represent their products IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coneheadthebarbituit View Post
    I'm going to give this guy the benefit of doubt and say that its likely one of the two options below that applies to his poor product review.

If neither of these are true then Surly really needs to find some better quality people to represent their products IMO.
    I`m looking for a new job!, Golf Course management fecking sucks here in Scotland despite being the home of golf!....
    I have no tatoos and am clean shaved. But bought my Surly bikes because there was at the time nothing else available, and i liked how they rode once i had used them.
    I still like them and i know how i would premote them-just by riding them and getting them out there on regular riders with pics and film and reviews... simples
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    I`m looking for a new job!, Golf Course management fecking sucks here in Scotland despite being the home of golf!....
    Must suck everywhere. Funny as I was doing the same thing in Florida 20 years ago....the hell with growing grass!
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coneheadthebarbituit View Post

I've worked as a press liaison in the past. You absolutely have to be comfortable in front of a camera and crowds and if you are doing a trade show, you have got to be prepared. He knows his product and his delivery is deliberate. What you are seeing is the attitude that Surly have imbued in their brand; they're Surly, they dgaf and they want you to know that. By buying their products, you are telling the world that you dgaf, either. It is total hipster brand identification, sell attitude first. It is entirely calculated; they're trying to be cheeky and funny.

aka bOb
    I just think they have been laughing at each other for so long they actually think they're funny, kinda like the inside joke syndrome.

bigger than you.
    yeah. Personally, I'm just done with arch and irony as a marketing tactic. I'd find it more appealing if they shifted their tack just a few degrees and embraced earnestness. Instead of saying "we don't make bikes for racing, we're different, f@Ęk Heineken, Pabst Blue Ribbon!" maybe try saying "we take chances, do things a little differently, simply because we like having fun," and see how that works, instead of insulting the people that they want to buy their products...

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    The parent company profiting or not has nothing to do with Surly. Revenues are still being reported by each sub-entity (Surly, Salsa, etc.). Taking away sales from Surly to another QBP company still affects Surly. When/if it comes to restructure, well, look back to see what happened at GM. Big companies shed poorly performing divisions all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Announced via Instagram.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    The parent company profiting or not has nothing to do with Surly. Revenues are still being reported by each sub-entity (Surly, Salsa, etc.). Taking away sales from Surly to another QBP company still affects Surly. When/if it comes to restructure, well, look back to see what happened at GM. Big companies shed poorly performing divisions all the time.
    Surly isn't going anywhere. If you don't buy as much of their product they may spend less on R&D which could cause some problems....lots of companies have R&D programs that go something like this:

1. wait for Surly to come out with something new that's cool
    2. copy it
    3. sell copy cheaper
    4. complain bitterly how Surly is overpriced awful crap
    5. start again at 1
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Surly isn't going anywhere. If you don't buy as much of their product they may spend less on R&D which could cause some problems....lots of companies have R&D programs that go something like this:

1. wait for Surly to come out with something new that's cool
    2. copy it
    3. sell copy cheaper
    4. complain bitterly how Surly is overpriced awful crap
    5. start again at 1
    To clarify, I wasn't saying that Surly's now about to be axed (then again, we've seen how some of these "Too big to fail" scenarios played out). Just making sure people understood that by not buying Surly and going with another QBP brand---it still does affect Surly, even if ultimately, QBP's bottom line doesn't change.

My opinion regarding Surly: There were a few instances in the past that left a bad taste in my mouth. Mostly what has been discussed here. I like their bikes and currently have 3 in the garage. I like to support companies that...I like. Over the past few years, they're making it harder and harder to give my money to them, mainly due to their stupid shenanigans and elitest attitudes.

This place needs an enema
    Meanwhile, while many of y'all were typing your fingers bloody/wringing your hands decrying the _____ marketing tactics, Knard 4.8's came into stock last week. Should be showing up in shops today/tomorrow.

I'm very very interested in some width measurements on the new Knard. I'm not so fond of the Bulldozer I have on back that does a terrible job of shedding mud and snow. Not a bad tire but it packs up pretty bad. This 4.8 knard looks gooooood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Should be showing up in shops today/tomorrow.
    I called lbs yesterday to ask if any had been pre-ordered, and they had not. But he was going to place an order for a few for me. I am guessing he missed the boat on the first shipment though?

Fat & Single
    looks very sand happy....
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Mine are supposed to be delivered on Thursday.

turtles make me hot
    I saw them in the flesh yesterday. I can't wait to get a set.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrr496 View Post
    i saw them in the flesh yesterday. I can't wait to get a set.
    details?

turtles make me hot
    details?
    What do you want to know? I saw them mounted up on Darryls on a 907 190mm frame. Looks like a great all around tire.

https://www.facebook.com/cyclehaven/...type=1&theater
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    What do you want to know? I saw them mounted up on Darryls on a 907 190mm frame. Looks like a great all around tire.
    You know the drill. Width, diameter, side-by-side comparo to 3.8 Knard, price, TPI.

turtles make me hot
    Well, the drill right now is I was sitting in my truck and Derrick wheeled the bike out to show me. I am currently nursing a broken ankle. I'll send a text and ask the cost. In a few weeks, as soon as I can be back on my bike, I'll have a pair.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Broken ankle is not a valid excuse as to why you are not providing mtbr with insider info.

Sell bike to purchase Rascal, enter bike shop, snap pics and take measurements, sell Rascal, buy new bike...use Knards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    looks very sand happy....
    I think this just replaced the BFL's I had sitting in a web shopping cart somewhere...

turtles make me hot
    ^Broken ankle is not a valid excuse as to why you are not providing mtbr with insider info.

Sell bike to purchase Rascal, enter bike shop, snap pics and take measurements, sell Rascal, buy new bike...use Knards.
    That made me LOL. I'm trying my best to get retail numbers. I did ask when he showed em to me and the answer was "It doesn't matter to you" because I "work" there. I think the store is closed this week.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I checked the FB page. He says 4.5 on Darryls and 4.75 on Clownshoes.
    Still hasn't got back to me with a price.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot

There's a pic next to a 3.8 Knard on a Marge Lite. The 4.8 is on a Darryl in a 907 frame.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Tire retails for 130. Cycle Haven in NY sells it for 119.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

There's a pic next to a 3.8 Knard on a Marge Lite. The 4.8 is on a Darryl in a 907 frame.
    Is that a 170 or 190 frame? Probably a new 190.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Assuming it is the factory paint, I would say a 190. 170s came in black, orange, green, yellow and red IIRC. I am also eyeing up these knard 4.8s very closely as I am sure it will fit the front fork but the rear will probably be either close or no go. I have my cassette truncated to an 8 speed for extra clearance anyway but the 170 rear triangle is probably too tight.

Otherwise I will likely go with a BFL on RD for the rear this summer. Last summer I ran the knards 3.8 on RDs and was very happy with them.

turtles make me hot
    It's a 2014 190mm frame. He had it powder coated in a midnight blue metallic.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I've still found no sign of these being definitively in stock with any online vendors yet. Anyone else...?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    WOW...that is a great looking tire. I really did like my 3.8 Knard as a rear tire last summer, but don't have any experience with it as a front, as I ran a Hudu up front.

I am either thinking Knard (x2) or Knard and Bud.

LBS says early to mid april according to QBP.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Mine came in yesterday. I do not have a scale, but I will try to get a pic next to Bud.
    My plan is to run Knards front and rear. I ordered them from Bikeman.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat & Single
    A pic compared to ole Bud would be awesome ! Thats a deal breaker.

Cheers !
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    mine should be at the shop today,only 100 bucks each so not a bad deal from the LBS.

I'd appreciate anyone that can get a shoulder knob to knob mm measurement. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    mine should be at the shop today,only 100 bucks each so not a bad deal from the LBS.
    Wow; that's a good LBS you've got yourself there. I get the impression that 'round these parts (Twin Cities, MN), unless you've got a coupon, it's MSRP or nothin'. I could be wrong. Someone chime in if I'm wrong!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^ You gotta quit going to the big name stores, or chain stores. Find yourself a good small shop, and start developing a relationship. You will more than likely save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by nuru nuru View Post
    Wow; that's a good LBS you've got yourself there. I get the impression that 'round these parts (Twin Cities, MN), unless you've got a coupon, it's MSRP or nothin'. I could be wrong. Someone chime in if I'm wrong!
    If you become a member of IMBA/MORC you get 10-15% off some places with your card in the metro. Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here are some crappy pics compared to Bud. I don't have any of the fancy measurement tools. I would say it's about 1/8" narrower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    100mm rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    100mm rims?
    90mm rims and tubeless.

Fat & Single
    Awesome ! Thanks.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks like same casing as Bud with different knobs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Looks like same casing as Bud with different knobs?
    I think this is true. It's a lot lighter though.

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by thebionicman View Post
    I think this is true. It's a lot lighter though.

Do you have an actual weight yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i make a point of doing the bulk of my purchases through the LBS,even when i can get something cheaper online i would rather have a good local shop...

^ You gotta quit going to the big name stores, or chain stores. Find yourself a good small shop, and start developing a relationship. You will more than likely save some cash.

exactly,i get a discount on everything,i rarely have to pay for shop time unless i insist,and i usually do...plus i bother to tip the mechanics so yes,i get great service and an invaluable source of advice and help. i really dont care if someone at jensonusa has a job so much,supporting the LBS means someone in my town has a job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged1 View Post
    Do you have an actual weight yet?
    Sorry I do not have a scale.

move on up...

mtbr member
    Tried my local shop and they don't have any yet. Anybody know where I can find a pair online? Want to run these as summer tires in my blackborow.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    Tried my local shop and they don't have any yet. Anybody know where I can find a pair online? Want to run these as summer tires in my blackborow.
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclehaven

Call this place. He has em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    Mine came in yesterday. I do not have a scale, but I will try to get a pic next to Bud.
    My plan is to run Knards front and rear. I ordered them from Bikeman.com.

I'm wondering if this could be a good all year tire. I'm not too fond on riding deep snow anymore anyway. Groomed snow or follow the snowmobiles on the river. I hit mud in spring though. Guessing these will pack up but hopefully shed better that the damn bulldozer I have on back now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just got riding them in the dirt at Theo. Wow I really like these tires. I have to remind myself not to brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Those Knards looks a lot like a certain feature on Pam Anderson, but for the life of me I cannot pin it down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just got riding them in the dirt at Theo. Wow I really like these tires. I have to remind myself not to brake.

Those look great. Any word on wet/loose conditions (rock, mud, roots)? Looking to ride these 3 seasons in the Northeast (spring, summer fall).

the target bike basher
    Yeah you're totally wrong. There are so many shops here they basically have to either have great service or prices to compete. The HUB and ACF are great great shops that have always helped me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puttsey View Post
    Yeah you're totally wrong. There are so many shops here they basically have to either have great service or prices to compete. The HUB and ACF are great great shops that have always helped me out.
    Yeah, I bought my ICT from the Hub, and they'd given me a discount coupon prior to that, which was nice. I like that they're a co-op, so I wanted to support them anyway. Didn't know they'd take a detour from MSRP, though. Good stuff.

bigger than you.
    Those Knards looks a lot like a certain feature on Pam Anderson, but for the life of me I cannot pin it down.
    Herpes zoster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast